Bitwig 2 ....160 annual upgrade ...wtf

Hey, no offense meant :slight_smile: - I’m also just telling facts. Indeed I understand your prob. I also hate slow GUIs. And Bitwig is also not perfect.

Airmann do you know a good forum where you can talk about using Bitwig for making music ? kvr is too messed up, or not? So, you are completely satisfied now with Bitwig?

Indeed, KVR Forum is a mess. The Renoise forum is so much better. Sorry, regarding Bitwig I don’t know any better place.
@Bitwig satisfaction: it has so many features that I missed in Renoise (like media browser etc.) and regarding creative modulation it’s a dream. What I miss in Bitwig are some workflow improvements like better copy and paste / drag & drop for clip launcher and arranger. Right now I mainly use two DAW’s: Bitwig and Reaper. IMO Bitwig and Reaper complement each other very well. Reaper is an excellent DAW for recording, editing and mixing / mastering / rendering.

Speaking about takes, I just read about a new feature coming in Ableton Live 10 called Capture, it will always remember (capture) your last 10 minutes midi takes/jamming, that’s quite a nice feature.

I guess Ableton 10 will be released at NAMM, too? I now read somewhere in the Bitwig news that we don’t have to expect a Bitwig 3, the text says they are only show-casting existing features there.

bitwig 2.3 announced

So, what do you think about 2.3’s features? I would be happy if the gui is fast. Expanded analyzer is almost Renoise level now :badteeth: That phase mod synth is nice, not so many out there. Let’s hope I will be in, until yearly subscription expires :blink:

Bitwig is doing something fairly common : Yearly releases have existed since floppy disks.

They’ve made a communication mistake here… they should’ve just said “you get all upgrades for current version, then it’s up to you to upgrade or not”.

It’s what Adobe does with element, and you get a new version each year. Renoise does the exact same thing… but major releases are slightly less frequent.

That said, with live 10 coming, I’m afraid it’s a survival move more than anything. Bitwig might be nice. But Live has Push and it’s been the alpha dog for ages with all that comes with it (community, tutorials, third party stuffs, compatibility with every single devices in the world).

I can’t really see a reason to go for bitwig… except for the pleasure of being more hipster than hipsters themselves.

I started with Bitwig as a replacement for Renoise in the long run, it seems to me the most similar DAW to Renoise. Ableton is very powerful for sure and I tried it many times esp. while visiting friends (seems to be the most used DAW to me). But also development not much is happening at Ableton anymore, now v10 after hundred years… The features are nice.

Bitwig is doing something fairly common : Yearly releases have existed since floppy disks. They’ve made a communication mistake here… they should’ve just said “you get all upgrades for current version, then it’s up to you to upgrade or not”. It’s what Adobe does with element, and you get a new version each year. Renoise does the exact same thing… but major releases are slightly less frequent.

It isn’t the same, though. With Bitwig you pay for a set period of time that is independent of whether or how frequently content is released. The “timer” keeps running whether or not there are updates at all. A year may consist of nothing but bug fixes and minor features, none of them worthy of a major upgrade. You pay for it nonetheless, or you won’t even get those fixes for a version that you already did pay for.

With Renoise and Reaper, you don’t pay for a set period of time. You pay for active development and the “timer” only advances when there are major version upgrades, which in both cases have always included a host of new, big features. When things are slow and not much development is happening, the paid-for update time isn’t impacted.

To me, that makes all the difference. Bitwig’s rigid system of 12 month cycles, which are independent of actual work being done on the software, is much more like a subscription, and I don’t do software subscriptions with fixed payment cycles because it’s not a trend I want to support.

To me, that makes all the difference. Bitwig’s rigid system of 12 month cycles, which are independent of actual work being done on the software, is much more like a subscription, and I don’t do software subscriptions with fixed payment cycles because it’s not a trend I want to support.

That’s no subscription. It’s not a limiting license modell ! You still can use the old bitwig versions as long as you want to. And you CAN pay for new features :-). That’s not possible in Renoise anymore.

The new stretching algorithms seem to be quite nice. There also is an old-school sampler like more now. You seem to have much more options available than in Ableton. The pro algorithm is the same as in Ableton.

Btw Ableton 10.0.1 final today released. Looks pretty nice. GUI is nicely slick, pianinorofl improved, max now integrated ootb, very useful new fx and nice workflow enhancements. There is a fully working trial.

The expanded analyzer of eq8 in ableton just looks almost as good as renoise’s analyzer (minus the slope options, why???). I wonder if taktik did program this. :slight_smile:

I’m having a bit of WTF moment here. They cannot be serious about this… Bitwig doesn’t have a takes system? If you record a loop it just overwrites the previous loop! I googled “how to choose a take” because I couldn’t figure out how to choose one, and the reason seems to be simply that there_are no takes_. You can overwrite or overdub and that’s it. What in the name of fuck! I am just absolutely floored, how can this be real? Even fucking Garageband has takes!

edit: Oh my god it’s true, it’s on the feature wishlist:

This software is 4 years old… this is not a good sign.

You do realize Ableton doesn’t have a takes system, either… but your upset with Bitwig for not having it? How old is Ableton?

And in what universe do you live that you just assume any DAW includes a Takes system? They’ve been slowly added to various DAWs over the past 10 years, yes. But your level of entitlement here, you’d think including a Takes system was the same as, say, allowing VST plugins to be used.

Ableton folks have been asking for it for years, no dice. Bitwig, it’s still a baby, 4 years is nothing. It’s only the old-school, more “traditional” DAWs that have takes – Logic, ProTools, Studio One. Oh, and Reason has it, that’s cool.

Ableton also lacks Bounce in Place despite every other DAW having this feature by now…there’s always SOMETHING missing, is my point. It’s how the DAW world works. None of them are perfect. But your WTF / OH MY GOD moment about Bitwig, the newest of all the DAWs out there, not having this particular feature… you should probably just relax. Features get rolled out slowly, or not at all. Business as usual. Bitwig wasn’t born fully formed.

For takes, you are supposed to use that clips. Never used it, you know what I mean. Also if you need takes, lameness is around.

EDIT: Just joking of course. Do you know that moment when you are playing something really nice, AND THEN YOU HAVE TO THINK ABOUT ENABLING RECORD, and immediately your playing sounds like shit? It is some kind of psychological effect, I hate that. In Renoise, it is the maximum, since quantization sounds borderline usually. I wish there was such “always on” midi listening in Renoise and bitwig just like in Ableton 10.

You do realize Ableton doesn’t have a takes system, either… but your upset with Bitwig for not having it? How old is Ableton?

And in what universe do you live that you just assume any DAW includes a Takes system? They’ve been slowly added to various DAWs over the past 10 years, yes. But your level of entitlement here, you’d think including a Takes system was the same as, say, allowing VST plugins to be used.

Ableton folks have been asking for it for years, no dice. Bitwig, it’s still a baby, 4 years is nothing. It’s only the old-school, more “traditional” DAWs that have takes – Logic, ProTools, Studio One. Oh, and Reason has it, that’s cool.

Ableton also lacks Bounce in Place despite every other DAW having this feature by now…there’s always SOMETHING missing, is my point. It’s how the DAW world works. None of them are perfect. But your WTF / OH MY GOD moment about Bitwig, the newest of all the DAWs out there, not having this particular feature… you should probably just relax. Features get rolled out slowly, or not at all. Business as usual. Bitwig wasn’t born fully formed.

I’ve never used Ableton Live, but I’ve used Garageband, Logic, Cubase, Reaper, and some others I’m probably forgetting. I had literally never used a DAW that did not have one (excluding Renoise because it’s a tracker) so it was quite shocking to me. I don’t understand the point of view in which this is not a fundamentally basic feature at all. This is like a word processor not having spell check level bizarre to me. This is knee capping one the most powerful advantages computers have over older recording methods. I don’t buy the Bitwig is new and not fully formed excuse, because it is absolutely not new anymore. We’re way past version 2. From the features that were just announced, it looks like they are prioritizing flashy new features over implementing the laundry list of basic stuff, and it’s not a good look to me.

Beta 3 is there, just replace 2 with 3 in url. So far I can only see that phase 4 was heavily accelerated. Such optimizations seem to take time.

Phase 4 sounds really nice, like a hifi dx7. 2.3.1 out now. If I only had more time and energy…

That ’ tongue in cheeck promo’ is hilarious .