Bjork Effect

Btw, in that test file, you delayed different channels in the plain-delay and tutorial-delay versions. It doesn’t change the fact they are different, but it might help get more correct findings.

EDIT: I’ve flipped the channels on the plain-delay delay DSP (left 40ms, right 1ms), and it no longer sounds different, just quieter.

:lol: LOL, okay. No need to wonder why the measured stereo spread differs then.

Anyway, this setup isn’t useless. When you add a Gainer on one of the send tracks and inverse its output the shared mono frequencies of both channels are eleminated on the summary. So you can still maximze the stereo feeling of the sound this way. Other side of the medal: this also might reduce frequencies you might not want to lose.

I used to use sampleoffset +1 for the right channel to bloat sounds.
Though watch out with certain sounds:Also test your song in mono mode if it still sounds okay in mono. It might not always sound so powerfull in mono.

Hehe, I hope not. :D

Btw. … if you use things like this (or the single delay variation) to phatten up or widen your sound, be aware of the fact that for our ear it sounds like the sound is panned to the side, where the signal is NOT delayed (because our brain concludes, a signal reaching our ear first, must be the nearest). So it’s a good idea to have 2 setups of the same kind, with both variations (1 early left, 1 early right), and just use different instruments on both. This makes the whole mix sound more balanced.

Edit: You’ll be able to notice the “panning” effect on more percussive or plucked sounds. Hard to hear on sounds with a slow attack.

I’m currently trying to get a setup with delay on both sends, controlled by LFOs with inverted curve (relative to each other). To sort of get the delay to ping-poing between the channels.

EDIT: Ok, time to go to bed. :D Ignore the last bit. I probably won’t be able to make it work.

If you’re summing the signals together you should be using -6dB, not -3dB, to bring them back to original level (-6.021dB more precisely.)

tried this with nice results! also gave me more ideas about cool things to do with the send tracks. thanks a bunch!!

I tried this on one tune:

Do the 2-send version of the tutorial, and then, create a third send, route signals of left and right sends to the third send, and add StereoExpander on it. Best of both worlds. :walkman: Here’s the tune that uses the effect:

http://soundcloud.com/foxbunny/foxbunny-in-da-house

The synth and strings are routed through the 2-1-send setup.