Braindance/glitch Method

Some people may prefer the VST method, but since they perform processing on the audio in realtime, they don’t always work the same way twice…or it simply may not be a viable option…

To combat this, I fudged together this method (to a lesser extent a couple of years ago) where you can get that lovely rhythmic glitch sound quite easily with quite a bit more control than you’d expect at first (and had lots less CPU usage too!)

We’ll assume you’re going to tear up a drum track…here goes:

1.) Make the drum loop that you’re going to be ‘blitching’ and render it to sample.
2.) Take the rendered sample and run it through an effect, then render it to sample.
3.) Return to the original effect and add another bizarre effect (or chain) and render it to sample.
4.) Continue this until you have a decent sized collection of the sample loop destroyed in various ways.
5.) Save them all to disk (I don’t know how to get around this step)
6.) Load them all up into one instrument, taking all the sample slots you need.
7.) In the instrument window, click “Generate Drumkit”.
8.) Now, in your tune, you should be able to quickly change up the effect being used.
9.) Use pattern effects! For instance, you’d have the ‘clean’ loop on C-4 and a damaged version on D-4…you can effectively ‘turn the effect on and off’ with an offset (09xx) command like this:

(SPEED 03 IS ASSUMED HERE)  
C-4 01 .... ... .. ....  
... .. ....  
... .. ....  
D-5 01 0920 ... .. ....  
... .. ....  
... .. ....  
E-4 01 0940 etc.  

When it plays out, it will sound like the loop itself is uninterrupted with different effects taking turns having their way with the audio. What’s cool about this is that you can combine more pattern commands to this, such as 0B00/0B01, 01xx and 02xx, 0Exx and so forth to add to the already created effects…

Other things you can do with this is have two different versions playing synced together, and perform a crossfade on them, use 02xx/01xx to pitch things like excessive time stretching effects, and probably some more uses I haven’t figure out yet…

The majority of the work is all setup, but once you get all of your renders done, it’s quite quick to create nasty, destroyed music. Here’s a short audio clip and associate xrns file demonstrating. After I created the loops and such, it only took about 5 minutes to put this together.

For all the effects, I just ran the samples through dBlue’s ‘Glitch’ VST with only a single effect in the effect sequencer on it then rendered.

mp3 example: http://hseiken.mynoisebleeds.com/sources/G…%20Test%201.mp3
xrns example: (Beware, it’s 14mb!) http://hseiken.mynoisebleeds.com/sources/%…hup%20Test.xrns

3 Likes

This is great… thanks

Very nice idea!

Thanks for the tutorial, the outcome is awesome.

I’ll try this one :)

Hi,

this is really a great tip… Got to try this when its time for serious drum bashing… :):slight_smile:

played around with this and was surprised at the results! thanks :D

You can also make your dsp chain with all your effects (flanger reverb crusher etc etc) and activate/desactivate them in the pattern command with the 1f00 1f01 (desactivate/activate first effect) 2f00 2f01 (activate/desactivate effect02) etc etc… it works really good and it’s faster i think ;)
But your result is really awsome man! congratulations

1 Like

Oh wow… I never thought of using the drumkit generator for this… and all this time I was messing with gating effects manually with pattern effect codes :o

Sorry for being a bit late… :wink: … but is there any chance to reactivate the dead link?

Does anyone have a backup of the xrns file?