Brainstorming: Arranger

Ok so the clips are like “extending fingers” (for want of a better analogy) which begin in a pattern but can over lap into the next pattern. So if your first pattern is like the hand, the fingers can extend all the way through the song (weird hands!!) till the end. Each successive pattern being the root of more clips?

If the clips can go backwards into other patterns will it be possible to spot in the arranger which is their root pattern?

Excuse the weird analogy, have spent too much time in front of this computer 2day :blink: :) :D

Now you got it :)

We might perhaps write the patternnumber/name on the clip somewhere.

Martin,
I must say I’m amazed by all your smart ideas of the arranger!! :) I’ve followed this thread reading everything carefully and it’s very interesting… I thought this would be something I’d almost never use, and although the opposite is yet to be proven, I think this can be very useful for me and other oldschool hex hackers as well as those used to arrangers. It actually looks like you’ve invented an easy and seemless interface to the patterns. Much creds to you!

I think a very important thing to get a close link between clips and patterns is to show these lines in the same color as in the arranger. I’m not sure if the clip names could be shown beside the track somehow, but that would also help a lot.
What I see as a problem here is when/if new clips are auto-created when entering notes in a track instead of belonging to the closest clip. Obviously when entering notes inside a clip they belong to that clip. But when entering notes before or after a clip you will in most cases, I think, want them to belong to the clip instead of creating a new one. Ok, there are probably lots of solutions to this but not a good, simple one I can think of right now, since you still want to have the flexibility to do it either way. One idea that would solve the problem partially is to allow clips to be stretched up/down by mouse or keyboard straight from the pattern editor (maybe this is something you planned already?). Also to be able to move, copy, cut etc clips from the pattern editor would be nice. I think an easy way to work with clips in the pattern editor is a prerequisite to make the arranger a big hit! :)

Above post by me, probs logging in this time!

edit: last figure in post above 1/2 not 1/4

Ledger: It will not be possible to extend a clip backwards. The clip will always belong to the pattern it begins in. If two clips “collide”, the same thing happens as with notes in the same column: the last clip takes over and the rest of the first one is ignored.

Johan: thanks, you’re much too kind :)
Extending the previous clip or creating a new clip when entering notes can be a config option.
Some possible shortcuts to quickly edit clips in the patterneditor:

• Unlink clip under cursor
  • Insert clip under cursor, filling all empty space
  • Delete clip under cursor
  • Split clip at cursor position
  • Extend previous clip to cursor position
  • Extend clip under cursor to fill all empty space after it
    A good thing would be a context menu with all these and more options.

Just realised part of the answer to my question. As the pattern editor will in effect be one continuous stream you will see the first patterns data where you were thinking of extending your clip from pattern 3 so you will do it in another track. The problem occurs though in the arranger unless you have a greyed out section where data exists but will not be played.

i.e. in the “screenshot” where there are two instances of pattern two will there be a greyed out area where you can not drag clips (as they will overlap other present but non sounding clips) i.e. the hihats from pattern 1 still present but not playing in pattern 2 instance 2. This is the only way I can see to solve this, unless I`ve missed something.

Martinal: started writing above post before yours was through, thx 4 replies!

Wow. All the problems I saw when reading Psyjs post are solved now. Had not time to post about them earlier. Seems that we finally have a 100% backwards compatible solution where we combine the fast access of patterns with the easiness of moving and editing clips. Cant wait to make music with it ! ![:)](https://files.renoise.com/forum/emoticons/default/smile.gif) And Psyjs : Thanks for bringing out well done screenshot and your afford. This makes discussion about it 100 times easier.

Just me, being euphoric.

I think there might be some weaknesses of this type of arranger, it might become tedious to use and complicated to do.

The other easier type of arranger that has been suggested is one where you can name/color/group the patterns in the pattern arranger.
Than you can select any amount of patterns at the same time, and copy/clone/cut/make unique or move them up and down.

This arranger should not be hard to make. And it allows you to handle many patterns at the same time and give you a good overview of the song.

Like here comes the four blue patterns that is the intro part.

This would be a great improvment over today when you can only select one pattern at a time, and you can not name or color the pattern and its would be easy to use.

The drawback of this method is that it does not give you the same kind of detail editing.

But for me and probably many with me this is not a bad thing as it does not overcomplicate things.

But if you are going to go for the complicated type of clip arranger.

I think that by default a track should be a whole clip. Then people does not have to go in and edit all the clips if they don´t want to. This will make it a bit faster.

Also to arrange large part of the song you will have to be able to zoom out and see all the tracks at once.

And be able to select with a lasso tool several clips on any tracks and copy/paste/move them.

I´m not shure I think the arranger affect the patterns. The arranger should maybe only be a place where you place clips (ie tracks) in a timeline.

Just like in Buzz or in miditracker.

Since we’re keeping todays patternsequencer, there’s nothing wrong with adding these improvements to it as well. Best of both worlds, + a little something extra just for you my friend :)

Having just read the entire thread I can’t get rid of the feeling that this is overcomplicating things. It seems to me that although the arranger concept can be merged with a classic pattern based approach, we may end up with an interface with a very steep learning curve, discouraging to new users and confusing even for the old ones - a mess instead of speeding up the process of composing.

Perhaps a better way would be to provide two interfaces (modes of operation) - the old skool one, pattern based, with no clips and the arranger based, with no patterns, but with a tracker style song view showing the song as one long sequence of notes and tracker style clip editing.

This way all the old skool trackers will get what they are used to and the arranger people will also get what they want, without the necessity of struggling with the inconvenience caused by using both approaches at the same time.

And a more radical thought: Why couldn’t the legacy tracker approach be totally replaced with the arranger concept? After all it is more powerful and flexible, especially when combined with tracker style editing of clips. Maybe it is time to leave the limitations of the pattern approach behind and concentrate on the arranger?

–P/\ULiE PHONiCK

I don’t agree with you on this… I think I normally would start doing a song with patterns and at a later stage when I concentrate on the song structure would first open the arranger. Your solution would not allow this switch (at least not easily).

Another view of it: Old school trackers don’t benifit from the arranger and vice versa.

I think all on this forum uses Renoise because trackers are more powerful and flexible, not the other way around as you say… :) Seriously… this is not an option.

I’d like you to specify exactly:

• what will be inconvenient for old trackers?
    (I don’t see anything very different, you just don’t have to open the arranger)

• what will be inconvenient for new users?
    (this is indeed always a difficult question for experienced users to answer…)

remember that this is a technical discussion, and reading a lot of text
can often make things seem more complicated than when you have the GUI in front of you. But we discuss to find the issues we might have missed.

Maybe it is time to leave the limitations of the pattern approach behind and concentrate on the arranger?

The day Renoise stops being a tracker (pattern-scrolling based music program) is the day me, and probably half of the renoise-users who chose Renoise simply because it looks and acts like fasttracker, only with a hell of a lot more options and quality, go out program-hunting again.

:ph34r:

@dufey:
don’t be so drastic: I would just settle down and use the present ReNoise version forever :)

IT-Alien:

Didn’t mean to sound drastic :unsure:

And yeah, renoise is already good enough to settle down with :P

Still, would be fun though, having that arranger :) Seeing as they keep the patterns of course :rolleyes:

The moment Renoise ceases to be a tracker, it’s no longer Renoise.

IMO, Renoise is now about improving the tracker concept.
If you want a replacement for trackers, then there is no reason to use Renoise in the first place…
If, on the other hand, you want a tracker that’s expanding the possibilites
of the “program genre”, this is where you should stay :)

As for a “non-arranger mode”, the solution is just don’t open the arranger.
As for a “non-pattern mode”, the solution is just don’t reuse those patterns.

But if on the other hand you change your mind during the creation of a song,
you can still use the other features!

Well, than I say… Go for it! :P

But I think it might be a good idea to do the pattern arranger first, as it is easier to do and I think that the clip arranger will take much much longer to code?

@Dufey, I don´t think that Renoise will ever give you a reason to leave, it will only become better and more powerful :)

Seems that I’ve started a brain storm in a glass of water :)

First of all - I’m not saying that Renoise should stop being a tracker. I’m in love with trackers from the first sight of Protracker, but still in my opinion they have pros and cons. For me, what is best in trackers is the way of editing and visualisation of notes. On the other hand the idea of fixed length patterns seems rather outdated to me in terms of flexibility and ease of creating the song structure (now, when I’ve tried arranger based environments). Thinking in patterns has most of the time subconsciously made me create short, repetitive phrases instead of longer entities and that’s where thinking in clips works better. You can record a two quarter-note long drum phrase and loop it throughout the song just as easy as record a whole-song-long solo. When thinking in clips you reuse and repeat what really needs it while copy-pasting patterns makes you reuse groups of note sequences at the same time thus in a way enforcing you to make repetitve music.

Now, as the arranger concept has appeared as the idea of future development of Renoise, I think it might be a good opportunity to drop the idea of a fixed length pattern. Editing clips the tracker way, arranging them using drag&drop techniques and then editing the whole song the tracker way seems to me as the fastest and least creativity-limiting way of music production. Neddless to say, this would still involve a pattern editor as a way of viewing the song data, tracker style and feel, scrolling, with multiple columns and marked clips. Only the song would not be divided into patterns - there would be a single timeline throughout the song. (If only I had time to make a nice screenshot of it…)

Martinal, you asked me what would be particularly inconvenient for Renoise users when using a classic pattern editor and the arranger - well probably nothing as long as they’ll use just one or the other. But as soon as they would like to use both at the same time, the situation might get messy. I consider myself an experienced user, but from the description of how the two are to work together I don’t think it will be intuitive to use. I can hardly say what will the actual inconveniences be, but an inner voice tells me that there will be an overhead of using both the arranger and the pattern editor at once - it might make you focus on the technical side more than the music. And that is the contrary of what I’d like to see in Renoise in the future, as for me Renoise is about creativity, about fast and easy putting my ideas into life. And not about keeping a particularly high FastTracker compliance & feel, even though I’d spent some years making those XMs.

Please don’t tell me ‘go look for another program’ - I’d not be a Renoise fan and a registered user if I’d found a program that would better suit my needs. It’s also what makes me concerned about the way Renoise looks in the future - and having an arranger is a brilliant idea, I just think we could take an even bigger step, even if it means changing the philosophy a bit.

And the true question is for Taktik and the Renoise developpers: are your registered users mostly old-skool trackers, appreciating FT2 similarity and creating VST(i)-free RNS songs or people who have started their music making with trackers, then moved to more powerful virtual studios to find Renoise in the end as the best around combination of power, quality and ease of use (but still knowing that some things are better solved elsewhere)? Having answered that question it will probably become clear whether any changes of the philosophy are a good idea or not.

One more question would be if you want people to use Renoise only for putting some tracks together, then rendering them to separate files to mix elsewhere or for the entire process from the idea to mastering. Renoise has the power to become a single application complete studio environment IMHO (and I’d love to live long enough to see that :) ), but the development process would have to be focused on the features important to the ‘pro’ customers and would involve making Renoise more like Logic and less like FT2, sad but true.

That is my point of view, but I’ll surely keep on using Renoise (nearly-) regardless of the development path you choose.

I know, I was supposed to be technical, sorry - but it’s a bit too early for me to be technical, if I don’t fully agree with the way you want the arranger implemented, isn’t it? :)

–P/\ULiE PHONiCK

Paul Phonick :

Let me try to explain how the patternstructure coexists withing the arranger :

Patterns will be more or less only timeranges wich contain clips. Think of it as a “meta clip” wich allows you to copy / paste / move / reuse sets of clips of all tracks in the songs.

So you still will be able to start a pattern, go on to the next pattern and copy all the stuff you made within two keyboardshortcuts (Alt+F4, Alt+F5). And this is what makes it great. Its not about being full fasttracker compatible or whatever, but its just damn fast to operate with patterns and keyboardshortcuts to do the rough arranging. All the detailed work can then be done by moving / copying clips in the arranger. So we keep the Patterns for the “rough” parts or arranging and add a way to make changes faster on the clip / track based timelines wich is currently a hell to do with the current patterneditor.

So we dont try to keep all the stuff just for compatibility, but try to keep the patterns to let the arranger profite from this tracker way of composing.

And it will be possible to use clips across patternborders, so it wont be less powerfull because of that.