Brainstorming: Piano Roll

making it vertical is only a matter of swapping the coordinates everywhere things are drawn and mouse input is taken. I can do that when the pianoroll works flawless. But not before. Basics first.

quantize (based on snap to grid with different value’s)

if you allread can snap to a vlaue . then you can quantitize also a range of notes or pattern to a correct place (based on the value)

aka

0c-4
3c-4
4c-5
6c-4
8c-4

a quantize with value 2 would give you a snap to a skipp two at least or even numbers/. so the note on 3c-4 will go to 2c-4

this is i guess very handy if you just recorded you nice melody and you have some notes misplaced!

TYrone

Hello all,

I didn’t believe this when I first saw it in W.I.P page: Piano roll!

Then some questions arose from what’s been said…

In my opinion, what’s interesting in a pianoroll, in Cubase for example, is that you are able to record naturally (through midi keyboard) “blocks” of notes that can be used anywhere. Pretty much like a pattern you may say.

Though, these blocks are different from a pattern as they can be different in size depending on how long the melody you record is.

I think that the piano roll should enable us to do this:

• record melody from one point and across patterns
  • piano roll should display the whole recording, ie. all data recorded in last recording (the problem with patterns is that you only see the part of the recording that’s on the current pattern)
  • being able to delete the last recording (with patterns, you have to go through every pattern and delete the lines)

Actually, if you plan to make a piano roll that works like patterns (ie. the piano roll has the same size has pattern) I find it quite useless… if not… then I’m amazed because, in my opinion, the weak point in trackers (and strong point in sequencers like Cubase) is live recording… and you’re planning to make it easy in a tracker…

Anyway, this is a great thing and amazing idea you have found here…
Keep up amazing us…

I’m sorry to disappoint you, but that is exactly what it will be. See the thread “Some pattern ideas” for a discussion of what you want. If this is implemented, you’ll be able to do this in patterns as well as piano roll.

Renoise 1.3 have pianoroll?
Hopefully :slight_smile: Unless something unexpected happens, I think it will be finished, yes.
At least with the most basic features, more advanced ones might come later.

Is Possible to assign at the PR any VST Instruments (Pro 52, B4, FM7 ecc, ecc, ) or one sample for any >key.

This pianoroll will be an editor of the patterndata, not separated as in Fruityloops.
So each note has it’s own instrument like in the pattern. It’s only another way to
visualize and edit the patterndata.

Is Possible to create Range on the PR keyboard and assign a sample?
You will have to assign samples to a noterange in the instrument editor,
then use this instrument. But I could make a shortcut to assign the current
selected instrument to all notes in the current noteselection.

I can Make personalizated Bank?
What do you mean? If you mean something related to the instruments, see above.

Pianoroll import and export Midi file?
This has nothing to do with the pianoroll, really. The PR is merely a GUI to edit the existing data.

I make good House Music With Pianoroll!
That’s great :)

Hello martinal,

Just a little question: how the progress on the pianoroll??? just curious.

Keep up the good work your doing a good job here. (and also the rest of the renoise team.

JR B)

It looks like a piano roll, it reads the pattern notes and shows them, it’s zoomable and scrollable. But it’s not yet possible to actually edit anything :rolleyes:

I’ve been very busy the last week or two, not much progress during this time…
But I estimate it’ll be done for 1.3. Of course estimates are made to be exceeded in all software development… ;)

Sounds great, martinal.

Could we get a screen shot or something to get us wild while waiting for it? =)

I for one am all for the pianoroll.

BTW. I’m currently looking for the best way for me to register Renoise. Yesterday I signed on to PayPal, only to find out that I need a credit card if I don’t have a U.S. bank account (I’m from Finland…)

Thanks martinal.

Some screenshots would be great :D :D :D

Best regards,

JR B)

a question:
with drumtracks, where you have different samples all playing at c-4 at the same time (i.e. base+hihat)
how will that look in the piano roll? will it be possible to edit all c-4 notes seperatly?

ok, kinda useless question, changing to root key for each sample isn’t hard… but i ask anyway :P

For a later version (ie not the first release) a drumtrack version of the pianoroll is possible, like done in many sequencers. Then the piano is replaced by a list of drum descriptions each which have a name (“Kick”, “Snare” etc), an instrument number and a pitch assigned to it. A normal way to visualize the notes in such an editor is to use diamond shapes for the note start instead of bars covering the whole duration.

In this pianoroll, multiple C-4’s at the same time will of course be drawn on top of each other. So if two notes in different notecolumns in the same track have the same pitch and last the exact same time, you won’t be able to get to one of them. You could drag one up one pitch and drag it down later, but if you’re using the pianoroll to edit drumtracks changing the root pitches would be highly recommendable. Easier to edit and easier to get the overview.

Current status: dragging notes is now almost finished, selection and deleting notes is finished. What’s left is mainly applying edits to the pattern and some polishing. Multitrack editing will be there in the first version (it’s already working).

Woohoo! I can’t wait to try this…

… although I’ll probably have to wait for the next official release, 'cause I still haven’t managed to register this fine piece of software… [runs and hides in shame]

Or maybe I’ll join the development team and save the registration cost =)

… really, I’d love to help in the development, if there’s anything I can do to help.

WeeTee :
are you maybe a mac developer ? hint :)

I agree here … I think the pattern sequencer needs to be abstracted a bit and allow patterns to run in parallel at the same time. Also naming patterns would be an awesome feature, would be so much nicer than just using nondescript numbers. So (for example) I could make 4 drum patterns (nothing but the drumtrack) called D0, D1, D2, D3, and say make 2 bass/rhythm patterns called B0, B1, and then have say 8 lead/melody patterns called L0 - L7 … then I could sequence them in parallel like so:

00: D0 | B0 | L0
01: D1 | B1 | L1
02: D2 | B0 | L2
03: D3 | B1 | L3
04: D0 | B0 | L0
05: D1 | B1 | L1
06: D2 | B0 | L2
07: D3 | B1 | L3
08: D0 | B0 | L4
09: D1 | B1 | L5
10: D2 | B0 | L6
11: D3 | B1 | L7
12: D0 | B0 | L4
13: D1 | B1 | L5
14: D2 | B0 | L6
15: D3 | B1 | L7

Of course it would have to allow more than 3 patterns to play in parallel, it would also have to allow for patterns of differing lengths, and allow empty spots in the pattern sequencer.

I think this method would work really well.

You should read (quickly) through at least the pinned topics before posting new ideas (would’ve saved you some time :) )

[Some Pattern Ideas](http:// this-link-is-no-more-valid?act=ST&f=6&t=1206)

Would be great :D :D

Jeroen

Here you go:
http://folk.uio.no/martinal/pianoroll.JPG

Nice work :)

I hope the colours will be definable so we can make the sheet black as we’re used to on the pattern… :)

oo this pic looks cool makes ma palms sweaty…
may i just have one suggestion, it would be cool if black-key notes would have a little darker color in the background of the matrix.

It would be even cooler if one could specify what key one is working in, and it would slightly darken the background of notes not in that key. So if you are in Cmaj / Amin (should be the default), it would darken the black key notes, if you specified another key it would darken the appropriate notes … of course this would need to be on/off by the user. For people that just want the black-note-backgrounds dark, they could just leave it at the Cmaj/Amin and not worry about it. Or just turn it off altogether for those who don’t like it.