Brainstorming: Piano Roll

These are both nice ideas, never thought about that. I might do marcs idea for the first release, but I think I’ll save Vohauls idea for a later release.

I’ve been thinking about having a “snap to key” mode, where you can select a root and a mode (major, minor, maybe additional modes as well) and input notes to keys in this mode. This would fit well with visualizing the key as Vohaul suggested. But I will leave that for later, since there are a lot of more important things to do first.

The resolution will be increased some time… look at the other threads. This won’t be a feature of the piano roll but a general change in Renoise.

I’ve made it on FastTracker II some years ago.

Check this little test (5kb) if interested.

I’ve used this trick on a couple of complete modules.

The weird thing about this effect is that the pitch of the wave is controlled via the current BPM of the pattern, while the cutoff is controlled by the actual pitch of the note on the track…!!! :o

So, if you inspect this XM on a tracker, you will see that every time the heard pitch changes, it is the BPM value which actually changes.

I’ve tested this on FT2 and XmPlay only. I don’t think that this works on anything else, as “everything else” was not tested by me ;)

I think that there is enough resolution in ReNoise 1.x to recreate this effect… at least because it has the same resolution of FT2.

A little note about this test song: if you loop it, some claps will show up suddenly :D

Perhaps I should test it then. I want to make use of combinations of alt/shift/ctrl and left/right button to make it possible to avoid changing “modes” like in most pianorolls. There will be modes as well, for those who like it that way, “Edit”/“Select”/“Erase” is what it is currently.

Can you explain exactly what you think makes Reasons PR so fast to use?

When it’s finished. I’m done with my exams in a week now, haven’t had time for Renoise for a little while.

Hyggelig det :)

As said many times before, the pianoroll works on the same patterndata as the patterneditor. But the time resolution of the patterns will be increased.

no. :rolleyes:

Hm, lurer på om folk faktisk leser alle post’ene eller om dei berre skummer kjapt gjennom… :)

Lykke til med eksamen, Martin!

fellow Oslomann, Kristian

smöre brod ?

One pattern at a time, one or more tracks. One track will be the “active” one, the other open tracks will be greyed out in the background. (A good candidate for future improvements will be editing overlapping patterns continuously.)

A little note here (you’ll hate me now): the pianoroll will probably not be finished for 1.3.
This is because it depends on some other features to be useful,
which will not be finished for 1.3.

Well that was to be expected… <_<
But I guess we need to be more careful with our time promises.

With the proposed increase in pattern click resoultion the Piano Roll editor will become invaluable.

I’m using Cubase SX most of the time for major orchestral work … with Gigastudio running in the background (which, by the way runs fine with Renoise as well … excellent!).

I grew up with tracking (started out using rockmonitor on the C64) and now I use trackers in conjunction with Cubase to produce all my proffesional work. I’ve been wishing for a tracker-style plugin for cubase and then I found Renoise … with the inclusion of the Piano Roll and a good tick rate I’ll probably hardly ever go back to Cubase.

I personally look forward to the new enhancement with great anticipation.

Keep up the superb work.

What I would find useful in a pianoroll (and even in the current pattern system too):

• When recording “live”, automatic insertion of patterns when you reach the end of the current. THIS is only interesting coupled with some other functions like:
  1. suppress the silence before the first note recorded (usually, I don’t rush on the keyboard as soon as I push Rec… because, it’s dumb, most of the time I might press some keys before the rec starts and finally, I don’t want to have the first notes very loud just because I have to rush on the keyboard.

2. delete last recording quickly. Why? Because when a recording is not right, I’m not happy in the first place… Going over several pattern to delete their contents in order to start again would just drive me mad and drain my inspiration away! :drummer:

• quick visualisation of controler data and quick edit of it (quick erase data for one controller for example). This could be shown as vertical bars shown in the background (like in Cakewalk Project 5 which has an interesting approach of controller data edit). Holding one key would draw the vertical bars (controller values) instead of notes. Could be nice…

See you…

Note that, as stated earlier, the pianoroll will NOT be finished for 1.5 (formerly known as 1.3).

Here goes:

OH MY GOD! Shoot me! I love that.

K’blamo! Now do me… :) I’m liking what I see.

yummy, just seen that screenshot, looks quite tasty. :)
will you be able to view/edit controller data from within piano roll (like in cubase for example)? using renoise’s automation isn’t so handy when editing presciese things, like pitch bends for example. it would be very handy if the controller data gets displayed in the same matrix as the notes.

Hi Martinal, have you looked at the piano roll on Music Studio Independence? IMHO it’s the best in the world, perhaps you could model Renoise’s on that one, if enough users agree.

that one looks like an older cakewalk release or session.

I have a resolution question about the Piano Roll.

The only one I’ve really played around with is the one on FruityLoopsStudio. I only have the demo, so I haven’t been able to work thoroughly with it, but there was something I noticed about the Piano Roll that I wanted to clarify.

The Renoise pattern has a predefined resolution, as does FruityLoops (sorry, I’m just using it as an example, not a comparison). Working in 4/4, or 3/4 etc.

Anyway, I notice that you can slice notes on the FL Piano Roll to arbitrary lengths. (for instance, 1/5 of a beat, etc.) and move them about arbitrarily, independant of the global resolution if you so desire.

Is this a similar theory with the suggested Piano Roll in Renoise, or will note-length and position be limited to precise spacings as defined in the pattern?

Sorry for the waffling, I don’t think I’m very good with descriptions. :blink:

There is also a plan to increase the resolution in the pattern editor, removing the concept of lines and ticks. If this is done before piano roll, the problem won’t exist.