Brainstorming: Xrni Future

isn’t that the user’s problem though? (;

No it isn’t, an application should not have a feature that has a half baked effect and a lot of irritation around it.
There are already enough half baked effects around for features that aren’t completely supported by every plugin in the world (like audio routing and aliassing)

oh, i didn’t mean that renoise should come with a lot of plugs pre-installed or something. just an option for the user to embed plugs that they have used.

anyways, it was more of a question, not actually something i need in renoise. i guess it would only be good for collabs really.

mxb: Christ on a pogostick, yes! That is exactly what we need, and well laid out. Percussion sets especially would be a dream to mix that way, and we could finally convert those large sets to XRNI and have full sample access to them instead of running them in VSTi samplers.

2.7 was a serious step in the right direction. If this feature set is added, Renoise would transcend most instrument formats and finally truly move tracking into the new (well, -ish) millennium.

Cheers for that post.

/ Ahni

I would really like to see an option to make an instrument monophonic, and with glide to boot. Yeah, single note columns basically make it monophonic and you can use the glide and pitch slide commands when sequencing, but I want to be able to play it. As weird as it feels for me to say that, being a big sequencing junkie, I would really love to be able to just hit a couple buttons and adjust a parameter and then jam along with a monophonic instrument that glides between notes to get a feel for how the part’s going to go. It’d definitely get me one step closer to getting rid of my VSTs and relying more on native stuff. It would also make live performance a little less intimidating, as I use a lot of monophonic stuff anyway, but I’m not the best keyboard player, so I’d rather the note overlap just be taken care of for me so I can do all my crazy arpeggios and shiz with far less effort.

Speaking of which, also worth mentioning is that I would also really love to see an actual arpeggiator. Yeah, I know the envelope trick, but that’s pretty roundabout.

Seen the second, and not really attracted to it unfortunately. The first is what I’m saying though. Cool.

I came to renoise from another sampler, E-mu Emulator X3, so here are the things I’d like to see:

1. LFO in the instrument. This LFO would have have the usual suspects, but also a custom (we’d call it a function generator) where you would draw the curve (it was done in a series of steps - and you could increase the resolution of the steps). Important to include a lag feature (ms) so you can determine at what point the voice is played that the lfo would kick in.

2. Mod matrix. You can do some clever programming this way and extends the functionality of the sampler.

More to follow!

Well, there are mainly 6 things that the Renoise sampler is still missing:

1. Envelopes per sample! For some reason, right now, the envelopes are per instrument (can anyone explain the benefit of this?) This is also never mentioned in the manual, but it certainly should be as this behaviour is very unusual and also clearly not intuitive, given the place of the envelopes in the GUI.

2. Sample groups. With own envelopes of course.

3. Routing to multiple outputs.

4. Choke/Mute groups.

5. Crossfade looping.

6. Automatable sample start/end.

Did I forget something?

Those all sound awesome.

Click to view contents

Also, nice numbering scheme.

Sigh I shouldn’t use copy and paste too late at night…
Anway, I fixed the numbering :slight_smile:

I have faith this will be coming and had as near as any feature has even been had promises from the Devs. Hopefully next version but I can’t tell for certain.

Could be useful but not really needed. Set more than one Envelope by selecting more than one sample at a time. You already have Mute Groups as a separate entry.

Renoise can output any instrument to every track in the track if you want it to do so (not at the same time in VST or other plugins) and tieing them to a track would be more limiting. I can see the benefit for when playing them live and this has already been implemented with MIDI.

Agree and also believe it’s on the cards.

With user definable cross-fade points/size, not a one size fits all solution you sometimes see.

09xx - Note Off/Note Cut.

Cool!

I agree, but would be very useful in combination with the output routing, read on.

Well, if I layer a snare drum with different keyzones on the same note, but with different samples, such that I can trigger them together, I would still like to be able to mix them separately. I want to play the snare, record it, it should get one single note in the pattern editor, but I should get as many channels in the mixer as I have layers.

Cool!

Sounds good.

No, again not suitable when trying to create “playable” instruments!

Also I think the track assignment is currently per instrument, no way to do it per sample. This is something I have supported, especially for recording (or live jamming) a drum kit instrument, where you want to be able to route each note to a separate track (although you may also want to disable it at other times.)

Also a toggle so the fixed track routing can also be taken advantage of with with computer keyboard, not only MIDI.

Yeah, I kinda wrote the “Split into separate tracks” with recording a drumkit in mind.

Yes, that would be important, too. I agree. Although this routing option would still be a workaround, since setting it up is quite cumbersome and you loose it as soon as you want to play a different instrument with the same controller.

I was thinking more a mapping would be saved with an instrument (within a song at least) but you could toggle it on and off. So if you didn’t want the routing, eg wanting to lay down a part in a different track to normal, then you can turn it off without loosing all the routing you have set up and then turn it on again later.

1. The ability to map the velocity device to envelope points!

Simple velocity amount setting for envelopes wouldn’t cut it?

Not sure what you mean here. I want to modulate sample attack with note velocity, and you?

Hmm. In what way do you wish to control the attack? Speed of it, the steepness of attack curve I guess. That could be done with amount setting, or the way you already described, but it’ up to devs how it would be done. One other way is to have independent velocity settings for each of the envelope points for their x and y positions, which I think would be much cleaner solution. Or possibly ability to draw envelopes for different velocities. Like velocity layers for envelopes, transofrming them into each other as velocity changes. Would be useful to alter the drum hits for example.

The amount setting for whole volume envelope would make it to have wider effect to the output volume as the velocity increases. There is multiple ways for doing this. Some apllications go as simple as keeping it as vel to amp modulation setting, some go as far as making velocity to control how much the envelope shapes the relative output volume in time and go both negative and positive. Latter approach still seems to need a separate vel to amp setting to control how much velocity controls amplification of sound. But none seems to affect how envelope points are positioned in time.

edit:
One cool feature popped into my mind. There could be a setting for velocity to affect the timing of the whole envelope, stretching or compressing it in time. With sustain points and loops used it could add up to interesting effects.