Brainstorming: Xrni Future

+6,022 · 10^23

other samplers simply have different instruments for the single articulations (staccato, legato, …) or use “keyswitches”, which are reserved notes (usually on the extrema of the piano keyboard) which activate articulations. for example, when you press C-0, the next notes will be staccato, then you press C#0 and everything after will be played using the legato samples

out of curiosity, does any software offer an “alternation” feature in its implementation of sample layering?

what i am trying to describe is a scenario where 2 midi notes are received by an instrument in sequence. both notes have the same velocity and pitch. the instrument would play the first sample in the nested array of samples at that frequency and volume, and then play the second sample in the nested array of samples at that volume.

this kind of system would allow for multiple recordings of the “same (same frequency and velocity, but different actual recording takes)” sample to automatically cycle through themselves, helping to reduce some of the unwanted repetition found in frequently repeating samples.

does a system like this exist? any one using or thinking about this?

the thing you are describing is usually called “repetition” or “round robin” sample group.

Native Instruments Kontakt features it: I don’t know how many other samplers have this feature, since I use Kontakt only.

+1 for macro view/ instrument patterns!!!.. make fast, customized vibrato, fast customized/changing/advancing arpeggios, accurate pitch bends… small melodies then bash a load of keys. sweet. (‘f’ command, vibrato in pattern editor is always out of time at the moment, should mention that as well)

Hi, I already talked about this in This post and would LOVE to see this in version 2.6 : a feature that would allow some rewired instruments to be converted into xrni ones ! For example, if I want to use a bass from Garageband without opening it and configuring all the midi stuff, I could do it by loading the xrni file in Renoise ! I really enjoy this feature with vsti…

By the way, I tried and looked everywhere but didn’ t find a way to run Renoise as a Rewire master with Logic 9 and Cubase 5 : I managed to do it with Reason, Live and Garageband, but not with these two ! Could you please help me ? Or do I have to post this in the Help section …? Thanks !

hope i havent misunderstood you,but why dont you just render as audio in garageband,and then import to renoise and make a renoise instrument out of it??

No you got me right, but I thought that it would save some time to do it that way… And by the way, I don’t know how to make a Renoise instrument with samples if that’s what you meant ! But I guess that’ s another problem I will have to solve myself :)

This is, in my opinion, the greatest method suggested in this thread. Seriously, I think this would be awesome. :dribble:

What I would add to the above is to strip out ALL envelopes and built-in effects as they are currently implented. Then, replace this with a ‘built-in’ DSP chain in the actual instrument.

Some more meta-devices would need to be created (e.g. an ‘envelope’ device). However, I think everything else is currently already there.

With the meta devices for velocity, key-tracking, envelope etc. XRNI would be insanely powerful.

Modification of the ‘MIDI control’ device to allow it to drive any DSP parameter from any midi control message would also be a huge benfit. ;)

what about VST i/fx encapsulation into XRNS?

licensing problems would arise, forget it

you may still include free plugins.

Regarding XRNI
I believe - first and the most important is to add sample real-time transposition and automatic volume compensation.
This will improve practice of using samples.

Professionals play drums by notes, not just by C-4 or some.
No drum kits inside of one instrument should be.

“free” does not necessarily mean “freely redistributable”

hello,

what I’d like to see in the future in the xrni format ?

1. the number one request, of course : multi-layers - a must have for a quality daw

2. the ability to tweak xrni instruments parameters (volume, panning, pitch, filter) such as LFO type phase frequency amount, autoamp attack release amount, and so on, through mapping and modulation meta devices ; including the ability to increase / decrease - moving left / right existing point values in an enveloppe. Defining which point has to be modified by a slider, could be done through a new param. named “point position” (in fact, the point positions are beats positions), and if the point doesn’t exist it could be automatically created on the fly. By the way, it would be a good thing, to add under the linear and cubic enveloppe mode, the “point” enveloppe mode (like in the “automation” enveloppes"), I don’t know why you can’t use this mode in an instrument.

3. if possible, please re-introduce the old ntk3.2 native basic synthetiser concept (with 2 OSC, remember ?) in the xrni logic, because re-emulating it through the dc offset, keytrack, ringmod, and lfo devices, is a pain in the ass

4. and what about adding “video” in the xrni format ? it could be cool in the future to deal with samples that include video information ; you could see in the background of a track scope a video, you could play a video at a given point through the 09xx command ; play it reversed ; pitch shift up and down the video playback ; and there could be a few automatable basic video filters (HUE, RGB, zoom) ; with a maximum of 2 vid samples mixable by song ; you could also see the mixed result in a new dedicated video output window ; and when you render the track, you can decide to render it as an .AVI video file, through a process that uses existing video codec installed on your computer. Adding video samples in Renoise could be a first step in new kinds of accurate & never seen before granular-video editing techniques

that’s all for now that ideas anyway imply allot of extra code

Big thumbs up for adsr and amount settings for envelopes, plus amount-independent envelope and lfo sync plz. Like LFOs and envs would be freed from be tied into one setting, so that one could modulate many parameters. Maybe a matrix for setting that up?

• Bezier curves! :rolleyes: Original? No. Useful? Yees.

Yet another request to include velocity-sensitive layering.

Are there any ideas for a XRNI 2.0 GUI considering the top priority requests??

I’ve got some time off on design projects and would love to help contribute!

this thread is getting outdated :)

I have edited the first post to reflect changes happened in Renoise recently

Something that probably is not so hard to implement and that would be very useful (IMHO): possibility to set envelope/LFO tempo (BPM) individually for the instrument – independently from the song tempo (global BPM).

It’s a bit inconvenient/unnatural that for now any global tempo changes affect e.g. piano or drums envelopes…

After exploring all the new features of the new instruments available in Renoise 2.7 I believe the following should be features considered for implementation in upcoming versions:

KeyTracking amount assignable to vol/pan/cut/res envelopes.

All of the above should be able to be implemented and still keep backwards compatability with existing instruments (assign all samples to a single keygroup, scale existing envelopes, keytracking=0).

If the heirarchical browser is also implemented (please!) then keygroups could just be another level, i.e.:

Instrument  
 - Keygroup 1  
 - Kick  
 - Snare  
 - Keygroup 2  
 - Closed hihat  
 - Open hihat  

Further development would be to create an ‘envelope device’ and ‘MIDI CC device’ for the track DSP chains. The ‘MIDI CC device’ would receive midi controller parameters and pitch bend etc. and output them to DSP effect parameters.

Then strip out the vol/pan/pitch/cut/res envelopes and replace them with a ‘Instrument DSP chain’ (track DSP chain equivalent). This DSP chain would be one per keygroup (as vol/pan/pitch/cut/res were) and could contain any native track DSP.

This would also allow MIDI mapping of instrument parameters by using the aforementioned ‘MIDI CC device’ so we could finally use pitchbend etc. on sample instruments.

Backwards compatability could still be maintained by having a DSP chain which emulates the existing vol/pan/pitch/cut/res envelopes.

As an aside, should this thread be tidied into pre-2.7 and post-2.7 discussion?

isn’t that the user’s problem though? (;