Brainstorming

love renoise. just love it.

in the new version tho id like to see greater control and more ‘shape’ options in the FX Automation window.

i get amazing results with weird complex ‘lines’ when used with FX. it would be a good thing to add extra features such as a operations control so that users could manipulate the ‘lines/points/curve’ like a shape in a design programs.

Example: just you’ve got a sinwave like ‘line’ in the automation window for use on the Pan. it would cool if there was some way of doing an ‘combination’ operation with another ‘line’ say a 0%->100% line to create a sinwave that goes from 0%->100%.

pretty much what ive explained is something like a modulation function but instead of being a line, this new complex line controls a track effect. other cool things would be to the ability to add stead curves and square waves easily within a line.

i think its a very original idea and i don’t know any other prgram that allows for such complex effect automation to be created. it would be good to see something like that. copyright it too.

Something like that is planned. Thanks for the extra ideas, I’ll see what I can do.

I’ve been checking out the demo now for a few days , and I must say this program is f****ing amazing! A dream come true for every tracker.

other then the implementation of mouse-rightclick-menu’s for faster use of certain options , like cut/paste etc in the sample-editor …I’d like to see the same kind of automation controll in the vst-i department as in the track-dsp effects with the envelopes. Like I’ve said , I’ve been toying with the program now for a few days , so please ignore my ignorance if that option is already in there :slight_smile: I still need to investigate the program further.

Also , is there a randomisation button/option to apply on yer chosen vst-i? Like in Aodix, where you can choose the ‘strength/depth’ of randomising. Would be sweet.

This prolly has been mentioned before, but why isn’t it possible to sample in renoise? Ft2 had it , so the sourcecode to do it is out there right? Would be a great option.

thats it for now :slight_smile: keep up the good work!

RZPKT

btw , friends of mine are creating a vj-tool , based around the tracker concept but for linux in which you can mangle video+audio. check:
http://veejay.sourceforge.net/

Ok below I am listing some ideas and suggestions for Renoise , may some of them are said before or some of them sound stupid or maybe already exist in renoise and I don’t know how to do it… excuse me for my bad English. I will try to post ideas that have not been said .

1.A Sustain Button with sustain level adjustments

2.The ability to assign a WAV sample or a VST plugin to an octave or to midi keyboard key. For example I want my first octave to be a different set of drums and the second octave to be my piano instrument and the last key of my midi keyboard to be my DRUM Loop.
This would be nice for live performances.

3.Link – Mix Instruments together. For example I have a sample which is piano and another sample which is Strings. With the link – mix option I would be able to play a note play both piano and string together.

4.Rhythm Button - Example lets say that I have created some patterns – tracks which are sound like riffs or a good rhythm. What I want is to be able to load these patterns not in the Track Editor but somewhere else and to be able to start-stop this RHYTHM so as to be able to play other instruments using the theme I created.

5.In the next release please create another two packs to be available for Renoise, The one will be FREE EXCELENT VST Instruments and the other pack some Demos Songs. Or maybe all this should be included in one pack.

6.Two or more input devices. For example two midi keyboards to be handled by renoise simultaneous. What I mean both keyboards to play a different instrument at the same time.

7.Touch sensitivity – Normal – Hard – Soft – None – what I mean with this , if I set the sensitivity to HARD , then I would have to press REAL hard the notes in my midi keyboard so as to play notes but if I set it to NONE whatever I played should be played loud ( no matter how hard or soft I press the midi keyboard note.)

8.Microphone Recording support in Renoise.

9.Able to Load large MP3 Files more than 20MB

10.Ability to assign a specific sample instrument to a specific midi keyboard key.
11.Renoise for games – make a player that it will play RNS files EXCEPT VST Instruments. So if a game maker wants to do something in renoise for a game the limitation should be only not to be able to use VST instruments.

12.Plugin in Winamp – To play RNS files EXCEPT RNS which have a VST Instrument.

13.Video player in Renoise – A small adjustable window that it will allow me to load a video and an option to Start/stop/pause the video together with the track. So when the video starts the sound should also start. It would be useful for creating themes or sounds for movies

14.A Utility to Convert XM to RNS

I have a thing that could be helpfull for many people.
Adding pre-delay to the delay DSP.

maybe a good idea … but in the installer it should be only an option (X best vst-fx collection installation) … and demosong - not so good … it increases the download filesize too much coz if you want show what’s possible with Renoise (and this should be the sense of a demosong within a package) - the song must be superb and would contain high-end sounds and samples … i think an written tutorial including small step by step .RNS files are more useful …

I would be glad to see it too. Generally, I wonder if it wouldn’t be “going too far” in a tracker, to have audio tracks apart from the current - hm, let’s call them - “sequencer tracks”. I can say that’d be a dream feature for me.

Audio track wouldn’t be useful only for mic recordings, but also for using selections rendered to wave to save CPU power. What I really suffer from is the fact a sample has to be triggered at the point where it starts (if you know what I mean), which makes me avoid using longer waves (eg. rendered from selections), hence have to curse at the weak CPU sometimes. :)

Heh, funny, I hadn’t checked the post date. Still, I was really thinking whether it’d be acceptable for Renoise might have audio tracks. I guess not, but doesn’t hurt to ask. :)

Would be nice to enhance automation envelopes so that you could make an envelope which spans beyond pattern edges.
For instance, a fade-in takes 3 patterns, and you make it with a single curve instead of 3.
or has it already been mentioned?

I would really like to see 1.6 with better native effects. The MpReverb was a good addition(with all due respect. the other reverb module isn’t very good.) In particular, I’d love to see a new filter effect. I’m no dsp-coder, so I’m not into the technicalities of it, but the current filter sounds ok at best. The high-pass doesn’t high-pass correctly at all. At 18khz I can still hear something like 3khz and up. That just doesn’t cut it, no pun intended. It’d be real nice if at one point I could use the filter like a filter ;) and not have to use an eq to kill frequencies(i.e. if I want to eliminate low frequency noise from a voice sample).
Speaking of kill: I think it would be a good idea to add that function to the EQs.

Keep up the good work.

I wanna see nested patterns, like the nested timelines in Adobe Premiere (and there’s probably something like that in final cut). That would be cool. I like cool.

i really think that if audio programs were designed with some of the ideas that adobe uses that would be really nice.

for instance the way photoshop uses layers an the blending properties for each layer, cutom layouts, custom tools, movable toolpanels a history panel.

i would also really like to see the ability to write patterns outside of the sequencer, to make doing live performances easier.

be able to have multiple songs open at once.

the ability to append songs!

be able to copy a whole track “songwide” into another song

in renoises automation rack it would be nice to be able to select a point and type the value into it, be able to select an area an push or pull it. along with a control area similar to ADSR to be able to
manipulate all points or just selected points then take that and assign minimum an maximum amount for the area and have it convert all the point inside the selection to the proper value based on percentages or somthing like it. along with the horizontal zoom be able to use the mouse wheel to zoom in also just like the wave editor(i measured the distance between each pattern line when using 512 patterns and the distance was not bigger than 2 pixels) it would also be nice to be able to change vertical resolution in this area since some of the resident effects only use the very low values and for instance with the filter it only uses between 0 - 8% when changing filter types.

in the wave editor it would really be nice if we could select between to markers an stretch and pinch the area using different algorithims to do it with and even user defineable so we could put in our own using a txt file and user created presets

having more presets in the automation area & instrument area
not using buttons anymore but using presets the way that the track dsp vst presets have the dropdown menus with an add/remove/load/save next to it

hopefully they will do something with the mmc transport stuff and with the transmitting controller values back to the devices so my motorized faders will move
implement OSC into renoise so we could use a few of these

^ btw what your looking at is a “LEMUR is provided with an extensible library of User Interface Objects such as faders, switchs, pads, keyboards, strings, etc. A software editor (Windows, Mac OSX, Linux) allows the user to build easily his own interfaces by dragging and dropping objects on the control area.”

jeez i could probably go on for days with all the ideas i have
:)

oh yeah an to be able to use nyquist scripts as instruments and effects

choice, I like many of your ideas. It seems your a good brainstormer, whereas myself I often get stuck on details or limitations. :)

thanks, i have more i’ll post later

thanks, it seems, well at least for me… that when you can actually write the ideas for something in this case a program, more times than none, the ideas seem to vanish.
but, when coming from an outside viewpoint it makes it alot easier to come up with new ideas for things. so far, i could/would not use any of these ideas for programs because i myself can not code them. but one thing ive learned so far with coding is that almost anything can be done 100+ different ways with code, so i guess it means alot with just the way you plan for the future of a program, which i completely see does make it pretty hard when your not sure exactly how you are going to do something or dont have all of the functions defined that your going to need to use.

I completely agree with this. I love Renoise, but the effects do often leave something to be desired.
The filters have to be the effect module I’m the least satisfied with. None of the filters have the actual cutoff frequency the sliders say they should have, and all of the filters have wildly different cutoff ranges. Some of the filters have an actual range from 20-6000 Hz, some from 20-18000 Hz. Proper filters should be tuneable over the entire audible frequency range, if you ask me. The actual resonance slider ranges are also very variable.
As for the highpass filters, they quite simply don’t cut lower frequencies the way good highpass filters should. In technical terms, I suspect the highpass filters quite simply haven’t got z-plane zeroes at 0 Hz, something that could be quite easily fixed.
A bandpass filter with no unity peak normalization would also be highly desirable, as the current one does tend to be very quiet at high resonance levels, if I remember correctly.

I would love to see filters per-sample, rather than per-instrument.

Cheers, pete,

My by far the biggest wish: recording straight to sample editor and be able to play the sequencer while doing it. Basically - live sampling. Not revolutionary, but extremly useful.

Vertical audio tracks with FX automation would be great too :) That would actually be revolutional in the world of trackers, I think.

What do you mean? Renoise allready have vertical audio tracks
and have several ways of automation for almost any parameter…
Draw envelopes, record live automation, control with lfo…

Audio tracks, as the vocal or some external synth recording, which would play in synchronisation with tracker sequencer. You can of course trigger samples already, but that’s not what I mean.

I’m using energyXT for this purpose and it’s cool, but it would sure be nice to see this functionality integrated into Renoise in a vertical tracker paradigm one day.