Bug / improvement request: if unable to remove script - tell the user what the issue is

here’s a cryptic error:

you know what it is? well, you don’t, because the error says nothing informative.

what causes this error? a .xrnx script that has .git/ + .github/ folder content in it.

please can we make the error more informative, instead of saying “(unknown error)” - say that there’s files in the folder that need to be removeded?

2 Likes

This is either a permission problem, or one of the files is open in another application (probably your text editor?).

But even better, it tells you how to actually fix this error?

1 Like

Hi, so, I was eventually told by @James_Britt what the problem was.

The issue was that I had used GitHub actions to create the .XRNX and the zip package actually also had .git/ and .github/ folders in it. So removing them turned out to be impossible since “they weren’t supposed to be there”.

If a script creator creates a .xrnx which is kinda valid (=works) but hard to remove, then it’d be pretty swell if there was some way of informing the user on what to do, or a way to inform the script creator - what was the issue and how can they fix it :slight_smile:

When I tested this nothing was open. I suspect the uninstaller has trouble with dot files and folders.

It might delete all files then delete the tool folder, but if the the dot files were missed (because they are theoretically “hidden” files) then an error would occur deleting the folder because it is not empty. But what’s interesting is that after the uninstall fails the tool folder appears to have all the original files anyway; it is not as though some files were deleted and the dot files remained.

1 Like