buglet - can't symlink plugins on linux

hi there,

this is on linux 64bit with both the latest 2.x and 3.x beta versions.

when i have a symlink to a plugin .so in a directory on one of my plugins paths, the plugin is not recognised. if i replace the symlink with a copy of the actual .so file it is recognised as normal.

i’d rather symlink to an .so in its directory (with the rest of the stuff from a commercial plugin) than put a copy in another directory on my plugin path that i have to remember to keep up to date.

thanks,
a.

ps. while i’m here what’s the status of lv2 for linux? there are now lots of good plugins only available as lv2. i realise linux support could not be a commercial priority, thanks for supporting it at all.

What happens if you symlink the the whole folder the plugin is in rather than the .so?
I suspect the plugin itself may also have some demands and sanity checks to see if it is started alright…

… have you tried to symlink the (containing) directory instead of the .so only ?

edit: sh… i am to slow :(

as i said the plugin is in a directory with a lot of other stuff related to this commercial product, so i only want to symlink the plugin rather than add a directory on my vst path that is full of all sorts of other junk (which symlinking the directory would still do)…

also, i already have the directory i put the symlink in (.vst in my home directory) on my plugin path, are you saying that if i symlink the plugin directory there renoise will pick it up, even though it will now be in a subdirectory which isn’t specifically on the plugin path? ie. are you saying that renoise scans for plugins recursively from top level directories on the plugin path?

a.

btw, i know the plugin will load from a symlinked directory, because the directory i already had on my plugins path (.vst in my home directory), where i put a copy of the plugin .so, is a symlink to another directory. ;)/>

as i said when i put a copy of that single file, the plugin .so, all by itself, with nothing else from that commercial app, in my symlinked .vst directory, it loads, but when i put a symlink to that single file, it doesn’t load.

and yeah, i tested symlinking the plugin’s actual directory into my symlinked .vst directory, an it still loads, which i guess means directories on the plugin paths are recursively searched for plugins…

what about my lv2 question, should i move that to another thread?

thanks,
a.