Can I overclock my buffer size or delay play to minimise CPU distortion?

CS:GO is a game :slight_smile: it runs much better when High Performance is set in Windows/Power Options and so does Renoise it seems, I mean it is frustrating to play when it’s set to Balanced option which is the default.

Ok, I can only give you a bit of advice Dalvidos. If you want to go down the ‘buy new ‘faster’ computer’ route then fair enough. I’m sure that would go some way in eradicating/reducing ‘the crackles’ (but keep in mind there is a threshold.)

Now at the moment we (the forum) don’t have any idea what you consider to be ‘real/unreal’ in terms of a Renoise project. But for the sake of argument (from my pov) let’s say that my project is ‘unreal’ (lots and lots of plugins), let’s say I’ve done all the ‘tweaks’ to my computer. But the computer is still saying: ‘hey, I can’t fill the audio buffer in time here with all this going on, I’m going have to start crackling.’ Some choices:

1. Buy a new ‘faster’ computer (expensive(?)).
  2. Render some of the most heaviest CPU load tracks to a sample. (i.e. freeze) (eww, so damn inconvenient.)
  3. Simplify the project (by taking out plugins).

The third option is interesting. Why should I compromise my ‘super awesome artistic musical integrity’ just to eliminate some stupid crackles? Now it depends on the person. Of course there are people who have a lot of ‘super awesome artistic musical integrity’ and it simply isn’t an option to take out (or use lower CPU demanding) plugins. The plugins they use and the CPU demand that can come along with them is there for a reason. Luckily for my computer I don’t have any ‘super awesome artistic musical integrity’. So in my case I could consider the third option, the chances are my ‘amazing project’ would still sound rubbish.

Anyway enough of my two cents, good luck in what you decide.

1 Like

@4tey Thank you so much, it occurred to me that you were helpful the last time i had an issue too…I wish i could return my thanks somehow.

Thanks for your thoughts. Before responding to 1, 2, and 3… I’ll let you know how I’ve gotten on. I did everthing suggested, UEFI changes, windows performance changes… and… No crackles yet.

Sorry for the yet. but hey tbh this is huge! I opened a proect that was previously a goddamn headache… I almost cried… I wish i hadn’t been so destructive now… It actually encouraged me to buy a new plugin. I actually think there should be donations section for Renoise… while I would be a bit miffed if I were asked to rebuy the product, I would happily donate just because you guys are so awesome.

• So… 1, 2, and 3.
  1. I’m probably going to buy a new CPU if a project of mine demands it… but franly since coronavirus I am way poorer haha so… If the tips I have been given by everyone (THANK YOU!) ultimately just buy me time, that fine for now.

2: Yeah i hate doing this but apparently its the way forward, less attachment to the original plugin settings makes desructive editing less likely.

1. This is the cancer I’m afraid.

Don’t get me wrong, I respect your advisements and would more if my projects were maybe a little luxurious, but they are more than reasonable…

1 Like

@Garf remarkably, I think you were totally right. Thank you again, everyone.

I dont want this closed as essentially I might come back and i think these tips might be worthwhile for others to consider… I’ve been making beats for 11 years… Struggled with this unanimously and kept just buying new hardware (laptops before).

Thank you all. I don’t need to buy a thing but when i do… I’m coming right back here and buying the necessaries…