can phrases be used to transcend a 64 row pattern?

Hi, can a phrase set to G01 be used to play, say, a 512 row phrase inside a 64 row pattern that it is toggled in? is this possible?

I’m running up against that age-old issue I always had with non-buzztrackers – how to do pads while maintaining a regular, say 4, 8, 16, 32 or 64 row pattern.

I’m currently using G01 for every note of a regular sampled pad, so that when the pattern starts for the first time, these notes start playing, and then maintain a holding pattern. but i’m just wonderin’ how to go there, without first having to sample 3 minutes of chords being played and then trigger that as a one-shot sample with G01 so that it just keeps playing till the end of the sample and then retriggers when the channel notices that nothing is playing.

Yes, you can set the phrase in an instrument to any amount of rows you want, and Renoise will keep up accurately. You can also change the LPB of that phrase to something different from the song to create glissando and triplet/tuplet runs, drum rolls, and with Yxx effects, generative phrases are okay too.

Using Gxx on an instrument that plays a phrase simply continues playing that instrument with its phrases normally with the appropriate pitch bend, so how you loop your phrase (or the sample itself) is up to you. It doesn’t matter if the instrument plays longer than your pattern length.

Yes, you can set the phrase in an instrument to any amount of rows you want, and Renoise will keep up accurately. You can also change the LPB of that phrase to something different from the song to create glissando and triplet/tuplet runs, drum rolls, and with Yxx effects, generative phrases are okay too.

Using Gxx on an instrument that plays a phrase simply continues playing that instrument with its phrases normally with the appropriate pitch bend, so how you loop your phrase (or the sample itself) is up to you. It doesn’t matter if the instrument plays longer than your pattern length.

Thank you so very much! This + G01 solves everything. I really appreciate this. Phew! I guess now it’s time to re-write all my Paketti keyboard shortcut scripts so they detect whether they are in Phrases mode or not.

I can really just say: Thank you so much. I’m so much closer to how I want to track and how I want to create melodies and pads and basslines and variations. This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks R3 team and thanks chunter for explaining it!!