Cannot Load Renoise - Freezes While Initializing MIDI Devices

Hi - I am trying out the renoise demo in WinXP but I cannot get it to load. The splash screen comes up when I run Renoise but loading then freezes when it reaches ‘initialize directmidi’. I have installed directX 9c as well but that doesn’t seem to have helped.

Does anyone have any ideas :(

could you please post the content of this file:

c:\documents and settings\ put here your user name \Application Data\Renoise\v2.0.0\Log.txt  

It seems to have frozen at the MIDI - I have no external controllers currently connected to the computer. I don’t have QuickTime installed, is that required?

============================================================
Version : Renoise V2.0.0 (Jan 14 2009)
Date : 2009-04-17
Time : 08:53:49

CPU: Found 1 enabled unit(s) with 2 core(s) / 2 logical processor(s) per unit. 2 cores are enabled in total.

Application: Showing the splash window…
Application: Initializing the API…

QuickTime: Initializing…
QuickTime: Initializing QuickTime (QTML) FAILED (QuickTime might not be installed)…
QuickTime: Initializing QuickTime (EnterMovies) FAILED (QuickTime might not be installed)…

Graphport: Initializing Freeimage…

GraphPort: Initializing DirectX…
GraphPort: Checking the DirectX version…
GraphPort: Obtaining and configuring the DirectX interface…
GraphPort: Initializing the Font Engine…

MIDI: Initializing DirectMusic…

Quicktime is only needed for OGG/AAC/MP3 support so you don’t need it if you are not going to use these formats for your samples.

Ah well not QT then, it seems to be choking on DirectMusic if that means anything to anyone???

We also do use DirectMusic for MIDI. Looks like either your DirectX installation got broken (please try to update/reinstall DirectX) or an installed MIDI Driver is broken. You said you have no MIDI keyboards or other devices. Have you probably installed some other MIDI drives like MIDI Yoke (virtual MIDI cable) or something like this?

Thanks, I’ll reinstall directx and see what happens…