Can't get any version of Renoise to start on Win 7 anymore (DirectX "can't create surface")

I’m a bit at a loss because I didn’t really change or install stuff much, just didn’t use Renoise for like 1-2 weeks.

When I start 3.2, the splash screen hangs at “Loading the preferences”, at that point the last lines in the log files are

Application: Start running…
Application: Loading the preferences…

DirectDraw: DDERR_CANTCREATEDC
DirectDraw: DDERR_NODC

when I then force close the program, more lines get appended, including these:

Player: Start running…

GUI: Creating the Document GUI…

GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 16,16 FAILED (DDERR_UNSUPPORTEDMODE)

Exception: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface with size 16,16

Error Message: Loading failed with the error:
Error Message: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface with size 16,16.

Exception: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface with size 16,16

Error Message: Failed to load a template document:
Error Message: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface with size 16,16

CrashLog: Handling Exception! Code : C0000005

I already reinstalled it, I updated my gfx drivers because hey, why not, but no change.

Renoise 2.8.1 behaves similarly, spash screen also hangs at loading preferences, but the log at that point is

GraphPort: Initializing in WindowedMode
GraphPort: Successfully initialized

Application: Init OK

GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 1822,858 FAILED (DDERR_UNSUPPORTEDMODE)

Application: Enter MainLoop…

GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 1706,1080 FAILED (DDERR_UNSUPPORTEDMODE)

with the last line getting repeated until I force close the program. When I do, this gets added:

Application: Exit…

Shut down: Stopped the Player

MIDI: Loading MIDI actions from file ‘C:'\Applications\Audio\Renoise 2.8.1\Scripts\GlobalMidiActions.lua’…

Osc: Loading OSC actions from file ‘C:'\Applications\Audio\Renoise 2.8.1\Scripts\GlobalOscActions.lua’…

Player: Constructing…
Player: Creating the slave threads…
Player: Start running…

GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 17,16 FAILED (DDERR_UNSUPPORTEDMODE)

Exception: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface with size 17,16
Exception: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface for cached bitmap ‘C:'\Applications\Audio\Renoise 2.8.1\Skin\Icons/Transport_EditStep.bmp’

Application: Caught exception in GUI: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface for cached bitmap ‘C:'\Applications\Audio\Renoise 2.8.1\Skin\Icons/Transport_EditStep.bmp’

Error Message: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface for cached bitmap ‘C:'\Applications\Audio\Renoise 2.8.1\Skin\Icons/Transport_EditStep.bmp’

GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 66,67 FAILED (DDERR_UNSUPPORTEDMODE)

Exception: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface with size 66,67

GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 502,159 FAILED (DDERR_UNSUPPORTEDMODE)

Application: Finalizing the API…

DirectSound: Stop Polling…

Renoise 1.9.1 crashes on its own, and the log ends like this:

GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 1706,1080 FAILED (DDERR_SURFACELOST)

Application: Enter MainLoop…

GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 1706,1080 FAILED (DDERR_SURFACELOST)

CrashLog: 009027d0: xmlUCSIsCat +1D81D0

Application: Caught an unhandled exception (Thread: GUI)!
Application: Saving a crashbackup…

GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 1016,20 FAILED (DDERR_SURFACELOST)

Exception: Failed to create a surface

CrashLog: Handling Exception! Code : E06D7363
CrashLog: 76e9c5af: RaiseException +00058

DirectSound: Stop Polling…
DirectSound: Releasing Primary Sound Device…

MIDI: Shut down: Closing all acquired MIDI devices…

GraphPort: Releasing DirectX…

Similar for Renoise 1.8, I guess no need to post that too ^^

DirectX version is 11, dxdiag seems normal (not that I know what to look for), 3D games all have no problems, actually, no other program is misbehaving in any way.

oh, wait, I only just saw there is an update, of course I’ll try that now. But still, if possible I’d also like to be able to use old Renoise versions, and know what caused/causes this.

Alright, latest version 3.2.2 installed in a fresh directory is keeping it old school, that is, it crashes on its own without hanging on the splash screen ^^ The log ends like this:

GUI: Successfully constructed

Application: Successfully loaded template document.

GraphPort: Initializing in WindowedMode
GraphPort: Successfully initialized

GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 1620,972 FAILED (DDERR_UNSUPPORTEDMODE)
GraphPort: Creating a surface of size 1620,972 FAILED (DDERR_UNSUPPORTEDMODE)

Application: Caught exception in GUI: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface with size 16,16

Error Message: Internal Error: Failed to create an offscreen surface with size 16,16

CrashLog: Handling Exception! Code : E06D7363
CrashLog: 000007FEFD06BE0D: RaiseException +0003D

I did mean to install Win10 on this machine in addition to Win7… but don’t let Renoise be the program that makes me haha, that’d be so cruel.

Try to reinstall DirectX.

1 Like

Thanks, but I already kinda tried that and found out that’s not really a thing anymore: DirectX 11 and up are only available via Windows update. But in the process of writing a longer reply with all I tried so far, and trying more stuff, I found the cause! :smiley:

I had changed “Vertical Sync” in the NVIDIA control panel to “Fast”, and then forgot about it (I tested it with games, not Renoise :P)… changed it back to leaving it to the application, and all Renoise versions start up normally again!

So, problem solved, and I’m obviously glad, because how the fuck could anyone could have thought of that, right? And I’m also glad I didn’t solve it with something like deinstalling and re-installing GFX drivers, because then I still wouldn’t know what the problem had been. Maybe this will help someone in the future :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m glad you told us what you did. The bane of the Internet are help questions that end with “Never mind, I fixed it.” With no explanation.

2 Likes

Haha cheers ^^

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.