Change pitch per note in pattern editor?

I’d like to vary the pitch of my drums in the pattern editor on each note, I’d also like to fine tune single pad notes to create some microtonality, but I don’t want permanent tuning changes in the sample/instrument, just dynamically on certain notes in the pattern. My drum break was sent into ReCycle, then exported all of the transients to individual wavs and dragged into the instrument editor. I can now play any part of the kit via my keyboard, but I want to adjust individual notes of the break in the pattern editor, can this be done?

The easiest way to do what you want to do is to create a pitch modulation set for each sample with an operand, and set a macro to control that operand. This limits you to 8, however, if you aren’t going to be using 2 hits from the same renoise instrument at the same time at different pitches, you can have just use one. Look up the “Amenizer” from the downloads section of this forum, it has this all set up for you, and can give you some ideas.

The microtonal part might be a little more difficult but you can use the same method to set it up.

The easiest way to do what you want to do is to create a pitch modulation set for each sample with an operand, and set a macro to control that operand. This limits you to 8, however, if you aren’t going to be using 2 hits from the same renoise instrument at the same time at different pitches, you can have just use one. Look up the “Amenizer” from the downloads section of this forum, it has this all set up for you, and can give you some ideas.

The microtonal part might be a little more difficult but you can use the same method to set it up.

Thanks, I’ll give amen1zer a go, I haven’t tried macros yet, is this way better than using the portamento sliders that are built-in? Cuase obviously I don’t want notes to bend, but just to be fine tuned when they play. So, with 8 operands, could you effectively have somentoes from the same instrument, say a pad, playing at the same time, and use amen1zer to microtune each note slightly to create an alternate tuning on-the-fly?

Ahh I understand, amen1zer is an example, I didn’t realize! So, it’s just a case of automating the macroed pitch up and down via the pattern editor?

How would I automate the pitch up macro via the pattern editor?

To automate the repitches from the pattern editor, insert a “instr macros” device into the effects chain. Link it to the instrument you want to control, and then just right click and hold on a wheel and drag it to where you want it to be. It will automatically insert the correct pattern command.

To automate the repitches from the pattern editor, insert a “instr macros” device into the effects chain. Link it to the instrument you want to control, and then just right click and hold on a wheel and drag it to where you want it to be. It will automatically insert the correct pattern command.

Okay, so Amen1zer creates an instrument with a macro assigned to it that controls the pitch. If I adjust the wheel (macro knob?) the pitch changes as I trigger it with the keyboard, but changing this doesn’t put anything in the pattern editor?

If you click the wheel with right click instead of left click, it inserts the pattern command needed to automate the wheel to that point. You do need to make sure that the third button from the left at the bottom of the pattern editor isn’t toggled on, because that will record the automation to the automation envelopes instead of to the pattern editor. I’ve attached an example.

I think the problem is I can’t see the instrument macro in the DSP pane, like your example shows, how do you get it to show in there?

its in dsp list just like any other meta device

you can search “instr” to quickly find it

Excellent, I’ve found out how to add it and get it working with amen1zer (you can see why I posted in beginner questions!), now I’d just like to create the isntrument macro for myself, I’m setting up the operands with the pitch so it appears the same as the amen1zer defaults, but it’s not changing the pitch on my own one like the amen1zer works. What’s the proper way of setting up a pitch macro for an instrument?

1. have your multisampled instrument ready.

2. add a modulation set

3. select the samples that are to be modulated (pitched) one after another and click on the leftmost circle next to the modulation set name so it is highlighted, this assigns the samples to that modulation set. You can have different independant pitching sets, and have samples being unaffected by assigning them to differend mod.sets

4. goto “pitch” below “volume” and “panning”

5. add operand, and set the “+” symbol active next to the “-” “*” “/” symbols - this defines how the operand will act in the chain

6. if you want to pitch in both directions, select the ± sign in the upper right corner of the operand

7. move the operand, you should see the line in the middle moving and hear the pitching when you play the samples via keyjazz or some pattern line

8. the “pitch range” on the top of the modulation graph - this will define how far up/down the operand will pitch along its possible range. You can also double click and enter exact or decimal values for the range to your liking. You could also restrict the operand with another operand set to multiplication (*) in the chain, or via meta mapping (macro, doofer, whatever)

9. hit the “macros” button way on top, select an unmapped (or one you want to redefine) and hit the little arrow to dot symbol next to the dial. now all sorts of sliders will become colored (red in my theme), and there’s a little pop-up window. click onto the main pitch operand you’ve created, and it will be mapped. In the popup you can also define range and log/exp curves for the macro

10. in track, and instr.macros device can provide control to the macro, for automation or pattern commands

1. have your multisampled instrument ready.

2. add a modulation set

3. select the samples that are to be modulated (pitched) one after another and click on the leftmost circle next to the modulation set name so it is highlighted, this assigns the samples to that modulation set. You can have different independant pitching sets, and have samples being unaffected by assigning them to differend mod.sets

4. goto “pitch” below “volume” and “panning”

5. add operand, and set the “+” symbol active next to the “-” “*” “/” symbols - this defines how the operand will act in the chain

6. if you want to pitch in both directions, select the ± sign in the upper right corner of the operand

7. move the operand, you should see the line in the middle moving and hear the pitching when you play the samples via keyjazz or some pattern line

8. the “pitch range” on the top of the modulation graph - this will define how far up/down the operand will pitch along its possible range. You can also double click and enter exact or decimal values for the range to your liking. You could also restrict the operand with another operand set to multiplication (*) in the chain, or via meta mapping (macro, doofer, whatever)

9. hit the “macros” button way on top, select an unmapped (or one you want to redefine) and hit the little arrow to dot symbol next to the dial. now all sorts of sliders will become colored (red in my theme), and there’s a little pop-up window. click onto the main pitch operand you’ve created, and it will be mapped. In the popup you can also define range and log/exp curves for the macro

10. in track, and instr.macros device can provide control to the macro, for automation or pattern commands

Thankyou! That was perfect, and thanks to Carbonthief and kopias for the ongoing help, really has taught me loads now, extremely helpful! :smiley:

Perfect (or deliberate imperfect) tuning this might need some care, and simple maths. I also found the “pitch range” box in the modulations will give crooked numbers without displaying them, when you don’t enter an exact value via doubleclick + keyboard input. Expecially when you want to use pattern commands, you need some maths. The hidden formula device can be helpful for further crafting the response of the pitching actions. Another nice trick could use a keytracker set to listen to some dummy instrument, so you can control the pitches of some hits of a first rhythm instrument with dummy instruments via note input in another dedicated track. Needs even more simple math to sound clean and “work”, though. Have a calculator at hands.

yeah, I want this too.

You can do it by automating the pitch but it’s fiddly. I want something where it’s super simple to offset by a certain # of semitones.

I’m sure it’s doable. I just haven’t figured it out yet :slight_smile: