Change Pitch Without Retrigger Sample?

I know I’m probably going to /facepalm when I get an answer… Is there a way to change the note without retriggering the sample?

Way back when using OctaMED I used the FFD command for this:

“FFD works only with sampled sounds. It changes the pitch of the channel, but does not play the new note.”

Thanks

isn’t that the 01xx/02xx command? used like this:

C401 – ----

---- – 0210
---- – 0210
---- – 0210
---- – 0210 (pitched down 40)

---- – 0120
---- – 0115
---- – 0105 (pitched up 40 - back to normal now)

(i say ‘pitched down 40’ as i do not know how this relates to octaves etc, i just use it intuitively like this… maybe someone else can shed some light on this)

0110 “up 1 note” and 0210 “down 1 note”.

so a C4 note with 0110 will go to C4#
a C4 with 210 will go to B3

can test this using a pitch detector like,
GTune http://www.gvst.co.uk/gtune.htm

Thanks for the replies.

I had considered the above, however I thought it counter intuitive to the old OctaMED ‘FFD’ command method. I’d much sooner just type the note I wanted to play rather than have to work out how to get there via ‘instant pitch bend’ :)

Can’t believe there is no other way…

I just want to enter a 16th arpeggio sequence, and allow the long sample I have triggered at the start of the sequence to progress through the notes without re-triggering its starting position.

:(

You can use 05FF for example, this really fast pitch-bend-to-note 15 semitones per line. IIRC if you duplicate the effect you can even go faster so if you do it like this: C-5 … 05FF 05FF then it should do 30 semitones per line, but I am not sure about that.

Isn’t it ghost notes is what you want.

Remove the instrument number on all the other notes (except the first one of course) and they won’t re-trigger the sample.
Check out the ghost notes demo song that comes with Renoise. In fact check out all the demo songs that come with Renoise…you may learn some other things!

I was mucking around with some old Amiga modules the other day and found the same technique in a Protracker song. Never knew you could do this in Protracker! It might have been the same for OctaMED too.

I think the ghost notes do not retrigger envelopes, but they do retrigger samples.

thanks for the explanation!

For some reason I was thinking they didn’t work in Renoise like that at all? So they do but retrigger sample but not envelope? Or you mean that’s how they work in other trackers?

If I understand the result you are trying to achieve correctly, then the best method is to combine stategically placed 09xx sample offset commands with pitch values in the note column to simulate the effect of the sample playing through uninterrupted while altering the pitch. For example if the sample plays for one full pattern length of 64 steps at 4 LPB, then you can setup up the pattern FX column like this to play through the sample markers in sync:

step—ptn fx—note

00-----0900-----C401
01-----0904
02-----0908
03-----090C
04-----0910
05-----0914-----D401
06-----091C
etc
60-----09F0-----E401
61-----09F4
62-----09F8
63-----09FC

Hope this makes sense, this is the way I re-pitch dynamic musical phrases such as flute, cello, etc on the fly. Obviously you do not necessarily need to enter 09xx commands on every step, just the ones you want to enter note values on, but I find once done this creates a nice template that allows you to experiment with different melodies wherever you like.

Rex, your method may work, but it is really the most complex way to achieve the result. I think that soundfx will find his answer in the previous posts, so you’d better read them

I was just trying to offer an example that didn’t involve pitch slides / glides in response to soundfx’s dismay at this method:

I wasn’t aware that ghost notes could be used in this way, so I guess I have learnt something.

Thanks for all the replies. I’d tried ghost notes and pitch bends before, but since these did not provide the functionality I was looking for I thought I was missing something.

The best solution was provided by Suva (05ff) it does not quite replicate the OctaMED FFD / Protracker Ghost note methods but it is close ish. Still, I’m quite surprised Renoise does not allow what I’m trying to do, I used FFD all the time back when tracking on the Amiga.

Would the old OctaMED “FFD command works only with sampled sounds. It changes the pitch of the channel, but does not play the new note.” functionality be something I could suggest as a feature?

I understand that the current ghost note method (envelope only) can’t be changed for compatibility - but a ‘ghost note method’ setting in the instrument editor perhaps? I’d suggest a new command but the 1-f are all used up!

Cheers

you are welcome to request anything, literally, as a feature. the question is whether it will be implemented :slight_smile:

maybe I am missing something. could you please tell the difference between OctaMED (which I never used, so I can’t fully get what you mean) FFD command and usign 05xx and note ghosting together?

C-4 01 ----  
E-4 -- 0540  

Hi It-Alien, yes of course. I’ll try to explain better.

In the example you provided it would probably work fine, the glide happens quick enough to reach the pitch of the next note.

However, if I have a fast arpeggio sequence with no spaces between the notes and with several octave jumps between notes, even 05ff cannot reach the correct pitch in time. I tried this today. A possible work around might be to double the tempo so I can squeeze more 05ff’s in. But that can be a pain.

The fundamental difference here is that the OctaMED FFD command and the Protracker ghost note (and as pointed out by Clay), simply change the pitch ‘instantly’ without re-triggering the sample.

C-4 01 ----(trigger sample)
E-4 01 FFD (change pitch instantly, without re-triggering)
C-1 01 FFD (etc)
E-6 01 FFD (etc)

That is the functionality I’m missing :)

you can increase the speed of glide in two ways:

1. add another command column (using the little “[+]” buttons on the top of the command column), then use multiple 05FF commands. YOu can also use this technique with 01xx/02xx.

C-4 01 0000 0000  
E-4 01 05FF 05FF  

you can add up to 8 command columns to the same track

1. reduce the number of ticks per line so that the change of pitch will be more abrupt. The number of ticks per line can be set using F1xx, with 01 << xx 10h

Aha (light bulb) I misunderstood why Suva typed “C-5 … 05FF 05FF” Didn’t realise they stacked.

That’s me sorted, thanks for the help ;)