Change The Amount Of Lines You Scroll Per Mousewheel Click

Simple scroll is 1 line

Shift-Scroll moves 8 lines, or so…

Ctrl-Shift-Scroll moves 32…

would be awesome

3 Likes

Agreed completely.

1 Like

Has this feature ever been implemented somehow? would be nice to have a one-line-wheel-scroll…
most logitech mouses have this special heavy scrollwheel where you can disable the brakes, so high lpb-counts are no problem, otherwise, shifted scroll would be another fix for that

i am a beginner and this is my perception:

• i always feel encumbered when i have to use 2 different actions for getting to the right lines when i am only one line off (wheel + arrow keys || wheel + click ||…)
  • arrow keys are to slow and on the wrong side of the keyboard
  • and clicking into the line completely destroys the flow for me since you jump instantly and loose orientation compared to a somehow smoother lines transition when scrolling

So is it in already? this topic is from 2009, maybe i missed something new.

btw, why does scroll lock only work in play mode?

Was thinking about this feature the other day,

a +1 from here too.

It has been suggested before to separate the edit position from the screen centering position, I agree it should be an option though I`ll need to have a look for the link to the topic

While playing, scroll lock toggles the edit position (always vertical centred relative to the pattern) to be the same as the play line or separate. These two positions are automatically separated when renoise is stopped.

I am a Noob and have nothing to say :rolleyes:, but I would choose this to be my prefered editing behavior,
i believe it is exactly what you mean:

maybe an optional “unattach”-toggle for the edit-cursor so that even scrolling won’t change the edit-position,

but that is just the humble observation, reasonable objections are welcome

Yes I think you`ve got the same idea here.

Annoyingly, just can`t find the post at the moment…

edit; here we go:

I would love it if it would just match the edit step.

has the mouse wheel scrolling issue been sorted? im using renoise 3 on windows 7, got my mouse set to one line at a time on scroll wheel, renoise goes every other line seemingly by default.

yes to all of this! needs to be integrated

Has anyone finally found a solution for single line scrolling ?

1 Like

Yeah this would be a big ease of use improvement if we could set/alter the scroll step

1 Like

it’s pretty wild this is still a thing, I assumed maybe it was tied to windows/OS ‘lines per scroll’ setting but it makes no difference to renoise, it’d be great to have an option to set it, scrolling once would be useful if you’re already using the mouse right now and dont wanna move to the arrow keys or something

renoise_scroll

1. Above the tracks the mouse wheel will scroll 2 lines.
  2. Above the right scroll bar the mouse wheel will scroll 1 line.

Renoise does not allow you to customize this value for the wheel. Renoise is more intended to use keyboard commands. For example, with CTRL SHIFT UP and CTRL SHIFT DOWN you will navigate according to the value of the Edit Step; UP and Down to jump 1 line.

3 Likes

:star_struck: this is great to know!

Still, would be excellent if there was a key modifier to change this resolution on the fly hovering over traxx

On my computer I feel like I remember renoise only scrolling one row at a time. Now it’s scrolling two lines at a time, and it feels really annoying.
There seems to be lots of reasons why someone would prefer the mouse over the keyboard including

• when holding down the arrow keys, there’s a delay between scrolling one line and scrolling multiple lines
  • scroll wheels have tactile feedback which makes scrolling to individual lines easier
  • holding the mouse allows you to switch to other tabs or access other features. Useful for doing transcriptions/changing parameters, etc.

however, right now with the scroll wheel scrolling two lines at once it seems rather unnecessarily hard to actually use it for editing.
Why not switch the feature and make it so that when you hover over the scroll bar it scrolls 2, or just add an option to change it? Seems like there’s a lot of interest in an option for this.

1 Like

It’s unimaginable why this hasn’t improved since long time ago .

2 Likes

I think the user should be able to change this to what number they want…while i get that most tracker work is done without a mouse. There happens to be space for one more option in the mouse wheel / key repeat rates prefpane.

At first I thought this is a design choice, but recently I just found the phrases editor only advance one line per scroll. I start thinking this is actually a bug rather than a feature. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think it’s done that way on purpose.

The pattern editor is like “one big thing” concept, many lines. Maybe that’s why the wheel skips 2 lines. On the other hand, in the phrase editor it is as a concept a “small thing”, a few lines. That’s why the wheel only skips 1 line. So it makes sense.

However, Renoise is hardly configurable here. It would be very simple if I had a configurable value option for the line break for the wheel in the Mouse Preferences. I understand that they want to keep Renoise as simple as possible.

2 Likes

There is a workaround, for Windows 10 - ‘X-Mouse Button Control’ https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

You can re-map [Wheel-Up] and [Wheel-Down] mouse signal to [up] and [down] key signal. And specify that it’s only for Renoise.

Here is the settings file, rename its extension to ‘*.xmbcp’ and load it into the X-Mouse Button Control.
rem-XMBC-Settings-v2.xml (83.6 KB)

1 Like

I wish there is a way to do dynamic mouse scroll in Renoise too, just like the one done in furnace.

However, after reading your reply, it is still hard to persuade me to believe 2 line per scroll is logical because two lines scrolling is really awkward to work with.

In SunVox, mouse always scroll in one line, so I expected the scroll wheel is used for fine scrolling.

In furnace, mouse scrolls 8 lines (or 4?) using default setting, so I expected that is used for quickly and briefly scrolling over large passages.

But two lines per scroll… it neither feels like a fine resolution nor a quick scroll, and because of that, I ended up unnecessarily tapping the up down keys more than usual just to edit the odd or even line, which is quite cumbersome and not really a good UX.

Maybe I will try remsky’s work around first, but this is just a bandage to the program, and it definitely needs a proper improvement.