chord automating effects

What about adding a effect that makes a chord from a single note that is on a track.

This effect would have some predefined chords+ the ability to program your own.

You would then be able to swap/test chords in realtime when playing the track.

Or a chord maker that is on the instrument options. So when turned on it plays the set chord from the note you play.

This should also have some presets and the ability to make your own.
So that you would for example be able to tell it that when I play x note it should also play x note one octave under at the same time.

Then when recording it also records booth notes.

I remember there was kinda the same idea in Digitracker.

And when I remember well it was running like this:

You had some presets to choose first like Major, bla
Then you had go back to the patterneditor and press “Shift+note” (or something) and the chord appeared.

Maybe this could be kinda a solution for this?

always suggested and a great idea … i know an old midi-tracker with this feature: an option where you can switch your type of chord (no chord, min, maj etc.) and if you play one note on your keyboard the chord sounds or is inserted in the pattern …

“I would never use it” :)

A would find a realtime arpeggiator much more fun and even useful :).

Sorry to say… sounds quite useless to me…
I suspect you mean an already inserted note in a track?
How do you plan chord-changes using the same keynote?
Should this affect the note at the cursor or the whole track? if the whole track,
wouldn’t that mean you ending up
with only e.g minor chords (if that was the preset)?
if at the cursor, why bother at all?
just open the extended note-column in said track and enter the notes…

there might be some uses but only to speed up editing.
the way I see it is a sort of preset list with chords and when clicked
the corresponding chord is inserted in the active track using the active
instrument…

again, how do you mean chord-types with the same keynote should be handled?
apply some basic chord-theory to that thought, if you please… :D
and come to think of it, if you press several keys on the keyb you get
a fab real-time chord :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o :D

Seems to me this carries the same problem of determining chord-changes or do you plan using only one chord or chord-type throughout the whole song? this could be solved by automation but in my mind would only complicate things…

sounds even more complicated than just entering said chord, doesn’t it?
what if I want to use more than just mere power-chords?..

the concept of the chord-maker was fab during the old 4channel-days for obvious reasons but is there any use for it now, really?
I might be off track here (no pun intended!) and if that is the case, please enlighten me and elaborate on the subject…

Well I do have to say that this feature is something one could live without.
It could be a fun thing.
But power chords is something that is missing and would be nice to have…

Heres how st3 did it. Its actually SHIFT+Z-M though.

1. Chord Mode

The chord mode enables you to enter chords by placing the notes
of a chord on separate channels. It is activated by pressing one of
the chord keys, which are ALT+Z through ALT+M (the lowest keyboard
row). It is deactivated with the colon mark ( :). When you press one
of the chord keys, the appropriate chord name pops up in the chord
field in the top right part of the screen. You should also see more
cursors appearing (if you’re using the default chordset). Typing a
new note will now place a note in all the columns with a cursor. The
pitch of the note will depend on what kind chord is being used. If
you have a chord like this:

Sus4 C F G

Pressing E-5 will naturally place an E-5 in the first column, an
A-5 in the next and a B-5 in the one after that. Since teaching music
theory is not the main purpose of this document, I will not go into
more detail, but those who know music basics should know how this
works. You can edit the different chords in the Setup screen
(Shift-F9).

I think, if you could add your own chords (or even better, add scales/modes (of any length, meaning it would sometimes not complete itself for several octaves), and then add interval sets to derive chords from that), this would be superb for composition. A good system like this, that still relies on a person’s creativity, would be a GREAT feature.

I really don’t understand this whole automate chord discussion… It’s so easy to just insert 3-4 notes on a track and you have a chord. Imho an effect number would definately be harder as a number makes much less sense and overview than individual notes.

Some do more with their chords than others. The way I envision this is that a person would enter a range of chord tones, and have chords be comprised from within that range. It wouldn’t have to be an effect, it could just be a mode of editing or something that, when pressing Q or 1 or whatever, would insert that chord into the pattern editor, rendering it the same as if you had manually entered the notes.

I’m not certain that having alot of predefined sets would help (because it might become more of a hinderance, as it might deter from whatever ‘style’ you have), but as a tool resting on your own creativity (or lack thereof) I think it would.

An example of it’s uses would be that you have a song finished, with a few instances of the same chord entered as above, but suddenly find that it doesn’t have the right tension. Normally, you’d have to edit every instance of that chord in your song, but since Renoise has a Chord System (whatever), you realise that every chord has a mark or a means of identification (kept in tradition, as an embellishment of tradition, or by creating a new convention). You can then go to the Chord System Editor and change every instance of that chord to something else. This isn’t a powerful example, since tension is often used to discern chords from eachother, but might give you an idea of it’s practical use.

It would be the most help when deciding on a progression, trying support chords, etc. Just as a means of exploring the possibilities of your self-imposed boundaries. Maybe it’s a pointless discussion, but only because of the vast amount of technicalities. Atleast I don’t find it pointless.