Classical Music With Renoise 2.8

Dear lovers of music,

I used Renoise for something that might be a little bit “off the track” for most users here. To get used to the basic handling of Renoise and music production in general I took a very famous and well-known piece and reproduced it.

Samuel Barbers Opus 11, Adagio For Strings.

Enjoy at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9PsGDtP7I4

Best regards,
Paul.

Very well done, share more :).

Yeps, classical music is not done by many in Renoise, but there are a few though…
But it is not always that easy, specially when it comes to subtile changes.
This piece is nicely done, but as said in previous line… the subtile velocity shifts ;)
Btw, which orchestra plugin did you used?

The plug-in I used is the Standard-Special Edition of the Vienna Symphonic Library. They even have more sophisticated recordings including vibrato, but to purchase them you have to pay 750 Euro ONLY for the strings. :blink:
Hence, I am fine with this edition. The next piece I am heading for is purely based on winds. I am not sure how well these samples are.

Best regards,
Paul.

Man, this is awesome!! How did you make this? Did you convert each instrument from score into Renoise manually? Did you make any changes or just follow the original notes? Any chance to see the xrns-file?

Now that’s right up my street, just my cup of tea. Beautifully done.

Using Renoise for this type of music has to be highly commended. I take my hat of to you good sir.

It makes me really cherry that you like the result of my work. Of course, positive YouTube-ratings are always appreciated, as I think they are the only way to bring this record up the search results ladder.

@tomij7:
Yes, I manually converted the complete score to Renoise. That is a quite tedious and error-prone task. At least I can handle now not only the treble and bass clef, but also the alto clef. I made slight changes concerning tempo and some interpretations at the end of phrases. I was inspired to these modifications by original records done by symphonic orchestras in the last two decades. What I did was to check every note of every instrument and how to control the parameters to get the result I was thinking of. For example, at the beginning and the end of phrases. With time to you learn by trial and error how to handle the different indications of articulation given by score.

Best regards,
Paul.

Done & with a comment to.

If you are feeling generous then my soundcloud offering I posted today could always use a friendly nod too.

Hi, I have also produced classical music with Renoise. I’m interested in hearing original classical music composed by yourself, did you make some?

I have maade two classical suites:

Il dolore delle rondini

Devil’s Stare

@Fardwark
I would like to be generous. But I don’t find your post. Can you give me the direct link to your soundcloud-thingy ?

@It-Alien
Your first link (il dolore…) does not work.
Step by step…I am still lacking the theory needed to write own music. But I am working my way through it. For example, I have no clue about what a counterpoint could be :)
Before I compose myself I will concert / arrange already composed motives that I adore.

Devil’s Stare: are you sure that the wind section is playable to real musicians ?

Best regards,
Paul.

These things are always tricky, when you don’t own such instrument, you have to rely on basic knowledge such as note-scale of the instrument. But techniques and limitations regarding how the player can use an instrument are not always described for given instruments.

This is very well done. I agree… “That is a top notch orchestral plugin.” It sounds fantastic.

I’ve actually dropped the midi of Adagio For Strings, into Renoise before. Its very hard to get everything to line up so well like this, and you did the full entire piece… This is very well done

:yeah:

thanks, I have fixed it

as vV said, I’m not a wind musician so I can’t tell it. well, actually I don’t care as long as I like how it sounds ;)

Well, I really would like to compose myself something, too. But I can only guess how difficult it is to 1) find a melodic idea/motive with the four or five magic intervals that brings the listener a little closer to heaven when he hears it. I guess, I would always tear my score apart, as it is just a boring mass of high-quality tunes. And secondly how to divide and develop this very idea for many instruments that you get the impression that the given solution is the only possible and very natural one…well, in the end this is called symphony, isn’t it.

But, there are these tiny already composed ideas lying around that to my opinion have the first ingredient, namely the brilliant idea and “only” the second part is still missing. And this second part is something you can just learn to some extent.

Best regards,
Paul.

It is about creating a story and then empathise yourself within it. Then express what you feel through the instruments.
Music is all about emotions.
Here is a piece i have laying around catching dust for quite a few months… it is a cover and practice material, so therefore i don’t release this kind of stuff:
Here is the original, it is definately a thousand times better, but doing these covers give you more insight of how these instruments are used. I don’t have the score files so i’m just trusting my ears only as i don’t have the capability of translating score files. I guess this makes it easier to put more focus on my emotions rather than trying to be technical. I extended the song to have at least something more of myself within it, i also have done the English translation that suits the song, but i lack the dramatic voice required for this piece.

Sounds wonderful, I’m impressed. Others said everything about this tune so let me ask: when next but fully original tune? Did you start working on a new piece? :)

Not sure how to embed soundcloud links. My take at Beethoven well-known classics.