Clicking Filters

I’m experiencing some strange behavior with the instrument filters. When I’m playing an instrument that uses a low pass, I’ll sometimes hear clicking when there’s a note-off. The problem only happens sometimes, and is difficult to reproduce. Here’s the best way I’ve found to make it happen.

1. Create a new sample, and draw anything

2. Turn the off the sample’s loop.

3. Set filter to ‘Clean Lowpass.’ (or any other LP Filter)

4. Set ‘Cutoff’ to the lowest setting.

Press a key, you should hear the click. Depending on how long the sample is, you can tell that it’s at the start and end of the sample. So, that seems like it means that the low pass is keeping the low frequencies, but then turning off instantly, causing the volume to snap down. That’s fine, but now replace the sample with silence; the clicking still happens! After a while it will occur less frequently, and sometimes will only happen if you mash the keys.

This is really making it impossible to make pad sounds with the new filters. Has anyone else noticed this?

Here’s the best way I’ve found to make it happen (…)

The best way is for you to post an .XRNS song which clearly demonstrates the problem, before and after the problem occurs.

That’s the best way for us to test what might be going on.

The best way is for you to post an .XRNS song which clearly demonstrates the problem, before and after the problem occurs.

Alright, I think I’ve got something that should show it. As I said, it doesn’t happen all the time, so you might need to loop it 2-3 times to hear it. I’ve included a render of the problem too, in case it’s just me.

Filter Glitch.xrns

The main thing I noticed is that your sample is not cut very cleanly. The start and end points do not align well with the 0dB center line, so there will be some audible “clicks” when the sample starts and stops.

For example:
6032 skolskoly-sample-start.png

The main thing I noticed is that your sample is not cut very cleanly. The start and end points do not align well with the 0dB center line, so there will be some audible “clicks” when the sample starts and stops.

Hm, that does seem to completely get rid of the clicking. I tried to do the same thing with the instrument I was working on and I think I figured out the problem. I was trying to layer six samples, so playing a note twice maxed out the polyphony of the instrument and cut the note playing before it. I’ll take a look at it a bit more tomorrow to see if it’s fixable. Thanks for the help.