Clicking On The Pattern Edtitor

you need to disable this in the preferences, or did you mean something else?

ok, ill follow the sheep and keep ONEMOUSECLICK on. however, I’m only doing that to stop this small bug, which for some crazy reason no one else has noticed. nevermind.

i tried to explain in the first 3 times and after that i gave up and decided all yous lot are either blind / def.

thanks, i was beginning to wonder if it was just me that noticed.

no worries not really, im sure i’ll get to used to single click in no time. I just feel a little sorry for those who will continue to use doubleclick and wonder why everything goez berzerk on playback.

i’ve had 2 pints tonight lol

pattern scrolling, I find I am double clicking on tracks in an uncontrollable compulsive manor as I have for years. would be nice to have a toggle to turn on double click navigation as there is with single click navigation. as it is now turning off single click, double click behaves the same. too used to double clicking to jump to the track I want and single clicking to highlight things elsewhere. sure it’s something to get used to but I don’t want to think about that while doing music.

Might sound a bit hard, but I had the same problem and got used to it. Give yourself a week and the old way will feel wrong. Its wrong to make everything that somehow “used to be” an option. We have to go forward instead of messing around with old compatibility switches.

I fail to see why double clicking and single clicking is an issue with old compatibility. so why is it so important double clicking behave like this now, am I missing something? just saying it’s counter intuitive, it’s like deciding to now program my drum machines with my pinky finger, sure I’d get used to it but what for? god this is a stupid thing to be talking about.

Its useful because you can then navigate the players position this way (scroll up / down while playing). But if that doesn’t make sense for most people here, lets simply remove this. All I need/want is a discussion about this. Its the option that would bother me, its not that I don’t want to finetune/change the behavior. Thats what the beta is for!

perhaps it would be best to find some middle ground then. I could see it being useful when the pattern scrolling is disabled because that is when most people would likely be jumping around and editing. the audio doesn’t jump then either. I along with loads of other fine renoise using folks barely ever turn off pattern scrolling, if ever, so for those of us die hard pattern scrollers would be very nice to lose that behavior while scrolling.

Better still, have cursor movement around the pattern and block highlighting attached to two totally independent mouse buttons like it was pre 2.0, allowing for smooth and flexible pattern editing.

By this I mean bring back middle-click to move cursor! (we don’t need yet another way to mute a track)
https://forum.renoise.com/t/middle-click-in-pattern-editor/23077

Anyone else agree here? Feel pretty strongly about this one.

But thats what the single click does now, so why should the middle button do this as well?

Let me suppress the vertical jumps when playing back a song with pattern follow mode on and see if thats better…

Because single left click destroys your highlighted selection, whereas middle click does not…!

There are already plenty of methods for muting tracks.

I have to admit i find myself missing double click to move the cursor. Cursor movement versus changing selection are two really different things to me, and as it is i feel like the single clicking intrudes on my selection workflow.

This is super nitpicky stuff, and i can learn to live with it. But especially during playback i’m basically always in danger of skipping around in the song when i don’t want to. It feels like a hair trigger.

My $.2

Sure, muting is not really needed here. But keeping the selections doesn’t sound that useful to me either? In which cases do you need this?

To everyone: Any idea what else we could map the middle button to?

capture nearest instrument?

this way you don’t have to drag the mouse to the button or the sample slots,
should really speedup instrument selection.

EDIT: and may even make the button for this purpose overkill.

Jump to + block loop

mad proposal, even not for 2.0:
could we made this configurable as it is for keyboard shortcuts? (i.e.: adding middle click to the available shortcuts)

Well maybe I’m the only one who works in this way, but I often use pattern highlighting to mark out points of interest or a specific area I might be tweaking, purely as a visual aid (helps with long patterns with many track) and then use the middle click cursor movement to quickly navigate around the pattern changing values here and there.

Then I might decide to highlight another point of interest, middle click jump-around some more, use play from cursor position to preview my edits, then decide I want to shift that highlighed data up a few rows, and just drag the selection.

This is just an example of how having selection and movement both available on independent mouse buttons allows for lots of quick pattern edits.

If nobody agrees with this then I guess I’ll have to lump it :confused:

Having middle click behavior customisable in the options would definitely be nice, but I can totally understand if you want to keep preferences minimal…

hate to sound a bit dumb but, middle click? my mouse only has a left and right :(

if your mouse has a wheel at the center, it’s likley that you can trigger the “middle-click” event by clicking the wheel. try if it is clickable.

oh wow, lol didn’t even know my wheel clicked like that. thanks