Clicks And Pops In Renoise

ok…been using a registered Renoise for about a week. today I started experiencing some pops and clicks during playback. it was still set to my soundcard. I restarted Renoise which didn’t help, then I did a reinstall which did help for about 15 minutes then the clicks started again. nothing changes if I set the CPU Usage to Working or Low CPU.

when I open Cubase I don’t have any problems during playback even with bigger projects. Winamp plays fine etc…

I am on a P4 1.99ghz with 512 mb of ram.

edit: it seems to stop then start again randomly?

TURN OFF THE CLICK TRACK!

;)

I’m using an m-audio audiophile 2496 if that makes any difference. my buffer settings are at 1024 I believe.

What kind of system do you have (system name and chipset)…?

There have been reports on side-effects with soundcards that run on an intel based chipset mainboard. The Audiophile 24/96 was object in the issue. The solution was to install the Intel Acceleration application for it.
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/techinfo/cpuspikes.htm

Also is this an ASIO related problem or do you experience this in DirectSound as well?

Have you tried the latest drivers from M-audio?
Do you use the Firewire edition of the audiophile or the PCI card?
The FireWire edition has a lot of issues (not only in Renoise) and is not really a recommended soundcard.

its the PCI version of the card.

dunno my chipset offhand as I am at work at the moment. I clicked on that link though, and noticed the first system/chipset mentioned in a Dell Dimension, which is exactly what I am using.

I had registered this problem once you can read the full context here:
http://tutorials.renoise.com/?n=UC.HickUpsCPUSpike

It seems Dell has improved things one and another but probably not enough.

much thanks for the link.

fortunately I am building a new pc soon so this problem won’t be a problem for long (hopefully).

if I may suggest, avoid Hyperthreading CPUs and go for AMD X2 cores

I was planning on going with an Intel Core 2 Duo e6600, which as far as I can tell (according to newegg.com) does not support hyperthreading.

yes, there is no HT on Intel Core Duo: they are two separate CPU (they got it finally!). I have no experiences about this CPU, though. All I can say is that I was a P4 3.2 HT user, and now I’m an happy AMD 64X2 4200+ user