[Cml015] Makunouchi Bento - Rinbo Ep

here is our new EP ( 4 songs ):
[cml015] makunouchi bento - rinbo

headphones listening reccomended.
and spread the word if you like it !
enjoy.

( we are a duo. my part of this ep is made in Renoise )

is that bad !? :)
not even 1 feedback !?

You’ve got some now!

Listening to the first song on mid-quality speakers as I type. By the 4 minute mark, is clear that you’ve got a very thick, very hypnotizing soundscape going. The samples of wind, foley, and warped sines really do give the tune something ethereal to it, as do the plucked samples of… what instrument is that? Along with the the other melodic elements, a cool harmonic sense of mysticism pops out and draws you in, the gorgeous panning and stereoscopic field assisting in that.

yuki-onna ending, second one a-go:

Well, this is different. A highly pitch-shift modulated instrument seeps itself through beautiful ambient lines and continues the journey into pseudo melodic dissonance coming into the foreground at 1:33. Those stutters and garbled lines are almost creeping me out by 2:20, and the sweeping sound of wind, air, or whatever it is builds a cool sense of suspense into the soft crackling and intriguing FX. An ambient lead out, along with those pops and lush clicks, only seems fitting.

Third one coming up:

Okay, CREEPY. I can almost see an airy MpReverb stuck on those chimes from hell, the wind instrument at 0:54 tricking me into thinking the tune’s about to explode in my face violently. But no, is soothes to a crisp, fractal baritone, laced with acid sharp sections of feedback and dulled, low-pitched thumps. Again, the soundscape is fascinating. Clear, intriguing, but never overdone to the point of fear. The lines of melody towards the end, combined with a lingering uncertainty of frightening pads and… alright, that horn seems to have been a sample, not a VST. Either way, the whole room seems darker by the time it fades out.

Finally:

Well, this feels like it’ll be more uptempo than the previous one based on first impressions alone. The snippet of nighttime chitter surrounding the area and cascading snippets of sound compliment the string noises very well. The whole buildup and climax at 2:45 feels right, it’s hard to describe, and the glitched semi-arpeggios leading to the thump of a bassoon and Arabic string scale towards 3:23 sounds perfect! Highlight of the album if you ask me, and something I could easily picture shining through in Lawrence of Arabia or some older silver-screen tale. The harmonic doubling up at 4:55 makes me tap my foot and bob my head, getting into it, blinking in surprise as the melody disintegrates to screwed up synth bangs and bass. Buildup around the 6-minute mark towards 6:29 is accentuated f*ing brilliantly with pops, glitzy sparks of noise, and cut down like a tree with a final sample. Now THAT warrants a relistening on good headphones to catch all the nuances!

Overall, I liked the first two songs about equally, third one less so, and finale most of all. Clever EP, and I’ll see if it grows enough on me to download and listen to on cold, lonesome Summer nights. Good job! :)

Edit: Did you work on that Papiota Shift Dub tune too? I’m in love with the version feat. Lemmy Caution, just getting that out there/

totally missed this post, sorry! I LOVED Swimé so I am going to listen to this as soon as possible

thanks Temporary Identity and It-Alien :)
again - to enjoy it with every layer built -
you should listen it on good headphones :)

yep
i did papiota shift dub with lemmy :)
and i just mastered the full lemmy caution LP.
it will be released this week ( for free ).

and some Rinbo remixes !
most recent by fellow renoiser/demoscene legend Nagz !

5th remix is up! French musician (and 3D artist) DavidF has added a drum&bass reinterpretation of Yuki-onna to the Rinbo (Remixed) set.

the tracks are really cool. i imagine that it is very hard to make such music on a daw like renoise (i just guess it´s produced in renoise). the first track (yuki-onna) is so dark and atmospheric with this kind of sitar-instrument. the track jubokko reminds me a little bit of a track from the artist björk (but the track title slipped out of my mind for some reason…).

nice sounds, awesome atmospheres.

regards!

D.

Camomille’s Bandcamp page has (as a netlabel with free releases) a limited number of free downloads per month. Right now they’re out of the free ones, so they had to put a small price for the releases. Should you want to help them buy new free downloads, or get the FLAC version of Rinbo, go an buy/donate something there - for Rinbo or any other release. Otherwise, they are still free (as MP3) on Camomille’s website.

download with very small donation ( help pay the hosting ):

download free:
http://www.camomillemusic.com