Color Themes For Renoise

My theme…

@DOA

:)

Yes, this is true for studio use, but when using Renoise live, I prefer themes with high contrast.
this will make the visibility much better with cool lightshows and surely when playing outdoor on a sunny day.

sorry, had to nag you ;)

after working with dblue003+004 for quite a while now, i must say they absolutely rule. so slick, so smooth and very easy on the eye at whatever time of the day.
the only problem i got is that i can’t decide between either one of them. ARH! :D

:D :yeah:

Cheers mate, and also to Robb Walker… I’m glad you guys enjoy them.

There have been some very good ones posted here so far. There’s definitely a nice collection growing and hopefully some of these can eventually be included with the 1.8 release candidate?

I’m not a big fan of the too-brightly coloured stuff though. They can be fun for a few moments but ultimately I always comes back to something which is nice and minimal, comfortable, etc. - that’s what I go for when creating my own stuff at least. Long-term usability is more important for me than the novelty factor.

Cool themes guys.

I also prefer a dim background for my eyes.
But what I have never understood from the very first version of renoise is why we cant separate the background colors from the input data colors.
Currently there is no way to make good contrast between your data input (notes,fx-commands) and the background symbols in the pattern editor.
Not a big deal on 1024* laptops… but on larger screens with higher resolutions the data merge to the background, making it harder to spot and read.
I also think the ‘-’ symbol in background (where you input notes) should be separated from the ‘-’ symbol in the notes (C-4). This way you can make your own background symbol in a font editor that will not screw up the note data.

I’m the only one thinking of better alternative themes if this was improved?

The level of customisation available now is definitely an improvement over 1.5, but I agree, there are still some things which could be better if they had their own unique value. There have been times while working on a theme when I had to change an idea because it didn’t look right in all the places that a value was shared, or simply because the value affected some other part of the interface which I wasn’t expecting it to.

For example, it would be nice if the colour of the pattern order blocks was disconnected from the “Main > Selection_Back” and “Main > Selection_Font” values. (Except the blocks you have actually selected, of course)

Why does “Main > Valuebox_Font” control the colour of the name of the track you’re currently in? Shouldn’t there be a “Main > Main_Font_Highlighted” or something similar for this purpose?

Why does “Main > ValueBox_Back” affect the background colour of each track in the Mixer view?

Why is the background colour of the instrument list controlled by “Main > ValueBox_Back” but the text is not controlled by “Main > ValueBox_Font” ?

Etc.

Just a few things which aren’t 100% logical really. I do fully understand how things can easily become this way while making changes to Renoise from version to version, but it would be nice if it could be cleaned up at some point in the future.

Post edited due to certificate website error (client959.com)

Some of them are for the fall-back font, in these cases we talk about a specific language font-set that does not have the default unicode arial version of that font installed.
You won’t be seeing those things unless force to uninstall the default used font from your windows system.
But i don’t think you want to go through the hassle for something where the user might even get the hint and install the font anyway.

The VU_Meter that shows the white colour is for VU meters of tracks that have a send-device and mute the source.
The colour in that case turns white (or any colour you desire to mark the track as non-direct audial)

All currently un-used as far as I can tell. But I’m sure you can take an educated guess at what they might be used for in the future. I set Alternate_Main_Back/Font to the same as Main_Back/Font. I set SliderBar_Font to a colour which would contrast properly (ie. be readable) against SliderBar_Back.

If you enable syntax highlighting in Prefs > GUI then different pattern commands and columns will be highlighted with these colours. The “highlighted” values are used underneath each highlighted pattern row. The “default” values are used for all the other rows.

If you disable pattern follow and play the song you will immediately see what these values are for. The pattern stays still but an extra cursor moves through the pattern to show you the current playing position. The default key to toggle pattern follow is scroll lock. The button for it can be found near the play/stop/record/metronome/etc. buttons.

This seems to be another one which is not used yet or reserved for something in the future. In my themes I simply set this to green - the same colour I use for VuMeter_Meter_Low and VuMeter_Back_Normal.

As explained earlier “VU_Meter” colour is for this situation where a send-device is used and the “Mute source” has been selected (Edit: In the post mixer):

It is? Hmm. So where in that screenshot is the colour being used - the white VU meter?

I added a send-device with mute source enabled, then set my VuMeter_Meter colour to bright pink just so it would stand out, but I’m still unable to see it being used anywhere.

Are you in the Pre mixer?

I sure was. Now I switched to the Post mixer and bingo, there’s my bright pink VU meter, heh.

Thanks for clearing that up, guys.

Bantai’s theme : bantai_OS_R

is the tits.

Adding more and more unique colors is easy, yes. But if we would have added a new color for every new look and feature, you would now have to change about 500 colors to make a new theme. The current way is a compromise.

I agree though that the pattersequencer should get its own category of colors in future…

i already saw dblue mentioned this about the valuebox_back…

what about the bright white piano in the instrument editor… should this one also be able to change the colors of the piano and the numbers on it?

Sorry to go OT, and this is a n00b question, but how do you change the colour of the pattern cursor? I can’t seem to do it.