Colorblind Users of Duplex for Launchpad

hey everyone,

i’ve been playing around with duplex matrix and my launchpad… super-impressed with how this works, and intend to start using it live right away.

my only problem is that the default color-usage on the launchpad device is really confusing to someone who is red-green colorblind (such as myself). i’ve looked through the controller configuration files for launchpad in duplex, as well as through the Matrix.lua script - i only see color definitions for the on-screen GUI.

is anyone able to point me in the direction of where these values can be edited?

sh

Always nice to hear that it’s being useful :slight_smile:

In Duplex, you don’t have a separate UI for the screen and the controller - they are both the same. So, when you edit the color values in the Matrix.lua script, these values (on both the screen and controller) are actually constrained to the values that the Launchpad can physically display. Three shades of green and red, I think.
For the Launchpad, some colors are very, very close to each other - you probably have to experiment a bit, to see which ones are best suited for your particular vision.

Tip: To make it really easy to edit the values and see the result, try to make the Launchpad > Matrix configuration start automatically (“autostart”), and enable the scripting console in Renoise. Then, all you’ll have to do is to select “Reload tools” from the tools menu in order to refresh the controller.

Hope this helps!

awesome, thanks for the help! i’m going to look at this today!

sh

well… i said i would look at this “today” in march 2013, and i finally got around to it … four years later.

just wanted to leave this note here in case someone searches for this in the future. i was able to change the colors in “Matrix.lua” as stated above - this was the color pallette that worked with my particular type of red/green colorblindness.

Matrix.default_palette = {
  -- pattern matrix
  out_of_bounds = { color={0x00,0x40,0x00}, text="·", val=false },
  slot_empty = { color={0x00,0x00,0x00}, text="·", val=false },
  slot_empty_muted = { color={0x40,0x00,0x00}, text="·", val=false },
  slot_filled = { color={0xff,0xff,0x00}, text="▪", val=true },
  slot_filled_muted = { color={0x40,0x00,0x00}, text="▫", val=false },
  slot_master_filled = { color={0x00,0xff,0x00}, text="▪", val=true },
  slot_master_empty = { color={0x00,0x40,0x00}, text="·", val=false },
  -- pattern sequence (buttonstrip)
  trigger_active = { color={0xff,0xff,0xff}},
  trigger_loop = { color={0x40,0x40,0xff}},
  trigger_back = { color={0x00,0x00,0x00}},
  -- pattern sequence navigation (prev/next)
  prev_seq_on = { color = {0xFF,0xFF,0xFF}, text = "▲", val=true },
  prev_seq_off = { color = {0x00,0x00,0x00}, text = "▲", val=false },
  next_seq_on = { color = {0xFF,0xFF,0xFF}, text = "▼", val=true },
  next_seq_off = { color = {0x00,0x00,0x00}, text = "▼", val=false },
  -- track navigation (prev/next)
  prev_track_on = { color = {0xFF,0xFF,0xFF}, text = "◄", val=true },
  prev_track_off = { color = {0x00,0x00,0x00}, text = "◄", val=false },
  next_track_on = { color = {0xFF,0xFF,0xFF}, text = "►", val=true },
  next_track_off = { color = {0x00,0x00,0x00}, text = "►", val=false },

}