Columns graphical representation

Why doesn’t Renoise have a more graphical view of effect columns? It would be more usability friendly for newcomers or old eyes, time-efficient and intuitive to edit or inspect.
Other trackers are already looking that direction, it’s 2022 not 1992 and computers are capable to represent information in other ways than just numbers.

Zytrax

SunVox

ReVisit

Radium

4 Likes

I think only the first example looks halfway decent, the rest are a UI disaster. Of course, people are different to one another and what works for one is not for all - efficiency and low bloat must reign supreme - IMO of course.

3 Likes

Because the cleaner the surface the better the workflow (and probably less CPU usage). Every example you posted is a mess, I couldn’t work that way. There’s already an easy access to all the informations you need regarding to effects, waveforms, automation and so on. This topic is similar to this thread. Yes, it’s 2022, but that doesn’t mean that trackers need to look chaotic or need to have a piano roll or whatever. I like Renoise the way it is and that’s the only reason why I’m using it. If I wouldn’t like it that way I would use something else instead. There’s a free choice of what to use, so choose wisely. :wink:

1 Like

Well, nobody dictates you what to use and how to use Renoise, there could be an option to change the column to a more graphical view as Sunvox has. Turn it on only if you want. My eyes are getting older and looking through rows and number columns get them tired faster than before. Those examples are not how it should be exactly done just a direction to think how to make Renoise more accessible and intuitive than a spreadsheet. Trackers need to change and evolve or they will die eventually.

1 Like

Yes, getting old sucks. I know what you’re talking about and I’m in a similar situation regarding my eyes.
The solution is glasses. It’s like switching from SD to HD. You’d be surprised. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Look at his Pianoroll comments then you know his attitude. Whats he not liked it, it’s prohibited to integrate in Renoise, because when it will be integrated he immediately stopping using Renoise! muahahah :smiley:

Native Pianoroll should be already integrated and yes Visual Wave informations and Visual Parameter View should be integrated too.

Yes, and ar song creation automation should be integrated, too. And there shouldn’t be a hexadecimal system anymore. And dude, we don’t want to start talking about YOUR attitude and comments, right? Whether it’s if there’s no Windows 7 support in future you will stop using Renoise or your permanent whining about people with a different opinion than yourself. Not to mention your hate for the Renoise developers. muahahah… :smiley:

1 Like

The Zytrax example above looks lovely but otherwise I agree with TNT here - the less there is to look at (i.e. when sequencing and arranging, so namely in the pattern editor) then the more efficient everything feels, although I sympathise with anyone who feels strained when looking at Renoise in its’ current form thus no harm in implementing options to accommodate… Maybe?

I personally feel that my mixes have improved since switching to Renoise and thats, at least in part, due to having less to look at. I also feel that the tools the community makes - like the bloody piano roll etc etc - allow for these kinds of features and UI enhancements to be bolted on as needed without fundamentally changing anything for the rest of the userbase.

2 Likes

I ask for backwards compatibility, you ask for no new feature integration! Do you see the Difference? And when the compatibility is gone i cant use Renoise anymore. You want decide by your free will not to use Renoise. You see the difference?! Muahahahah :smiley:

Would like to see automation / per-note-automation near the actual note representation, too. But I doubt this will ever come… Would prefer then spline-lines just like the recent automation drawing mode. The note itself could be a block and contain “fills”.

1 Like

Dude, you obviously aren’t even able to see the difference between real talk and irony, so don’t even try to piss me off. And by the way, constantly asking for a piano roll like you do in all those threads has nothing to do with backwards compatibility. Muahahahah :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Speak to the hand my friend!

associating colors with values should be a simple solution

Want the vertical waveform and automation views!

1 Like

Automation can be represented by a thin line of color

Amplitude of wave-forms can be represented by a thin line of color