Common bass synth in Jungle

Can anybody tell me the synth that was used for this bass line?its commonly used in jungle,im not asking how to make the sound by other means or anything like that as i can already do it,im specifically asking for the synth as it has a very unique quality to it.Cheers :ph34r:

You’re talking about the deep ‘Reese’ bass, yeah?

It supposedly gets its name from the track “Just Want Another Chance” by Kevin Saunderson, released under his alias “Reese”.

One particular mix of the track has no drums, making it pretty choice for sampling:

On pages 3 and 4 of this interview with Kevin Saunderson himself, he mentions that he created the bass sound on either a Casio CZ-5000, CZ-2000 , or CZ-1000 , but he can’t remember exactly which one.

No but that’s also good to know,its another sound i love.I’m talking about the deep square wave warble that begins around 34 secs or so and is throughout.Heres another example

I’m talking about the deep square wave warble that begins around 34 secs

Ah, ok! A timestamp in the first post would have helped to narrow it down :wink:

But yeah… that one… the good ol’ wwaauuubbbbb ~~filtered square wave bizness. Another classic! Not sure where that one originates, tbh.

It does ‘just’ sound like a lowpassed square to me, or maybe a really heavily overdriven sine that’s been filtered back down, so I suppose it really could have come from anywhere.

It doesn’t sound like a terribly complex patch, but it’s got some character to it, for sure.~~

I’m glad i didn’t hah.Well that’s how i make mine,i just modulate a low-pass on a square wave and add some saturation or drive.Specifically looking for this synth though its very unique,i love its character.Thanks for help.

The deep bass in the first tune? You mean the “dred bass”?

But super sharp shooter has a different sound! Or mabye…the 2nd video won’t play for me due to gema.

I think this was the original tune everyone else sampled from:

You can try to ressearch the sound in the net, it is just called “dred bass”/“dread bass”

I think the origin was deemed to be layered basic sine/square sounds, with different volume envelopes to make the filter like sweep, then desk gained/eqed and reversed (hence the strange envelope curve), and used as a single note sample. All with akai samplers or so. Oh in some discussions of wannabe-experts. Who knows how it was really created.

But its cool, like the original reese it has some sweet spot low harmonics action making everything rumble when played back at high volume.

That’s the one alright i actually sampled it from there too i was hoping there might be a synth behind it though so i could play around with the sweeps and whatnot,i guess I’ll keep making my own.Cheers!

Scratch all that bollocks I just said up there about a square wave… I’ve just grabbed a chunk of that DJ Zinc tune and taken a look at it in the sample editor, and it seems to be based on a triangle wave. :blink:

There’s some EQ’ing or something else going on that’s adding a bit more harmonics, giving it ‘that’ sound that’s a bit difficult to pin down, but yeah… basically just a filtered triangle wave.

Huh.

so it’s not about this synth;

no lol

lol didn’t bother skipping through the sharpshooter track :slight_smile:

Glad you didn’t.3 sounds came out of this thread now,not bad.

Lots of people do it with a square wave and a low pass filter which is modulated by the filter envelope.

But as far as i know was the origial made with FM synthesis on a Yamaha Dx7 and a low pass filter modulation. Then resampled to an Akai sampler and then played the samples reverse.

On pages 3 and 4 of this interview with Kevin Saunderson himself, he mentions that he created the bass sound on either a Casio CZ-5000, CZ-2000 , or CZ-1000 , but he can’t remember exactly which one.

One of my friends has a CZ-5000. He means that it’s also the one which was used for the reese bass. The CZ series use phase distortion synthesis, which is technically the same as FM synthesis. Phase distortion was firstly invented by Casio. And Yamaha’s synonym for it was FM synthesis. I recreated the reese bass with the MorphSynth tool and it’s FM capabilities. You can find the instrument in the download section.

http://forum.renoise.com/index.php/files/file/393-reese-bass/

I kept the settings for the MorphSynth inside the instrument (the last empty sample in the instrument contains these settings). If you’ve installed MorphSynth, you can re-open it on that instrument and can have a look how the settings for it are.