Compressor

Hi!

So, along with Renoise came hundreds of new ways and methods for making tracks sound a little more professional…

I’ve heard compressor is one of the things that can really put that “punchy” feeling in a song and make it alot more, well… groovy.

I’ve experimented a bit with it. And sometimes it sounds good, sometimes it don’t.

What I wanna know is; what do you guys use compressor on? Master channel? The drums? Voices?

And are there any “standard” setups for the compressor for certain genres?

There’s lots and lots and then some more articles about compression on the internet.

http://www.computermusic.co.uk/tutorial/ef…s1/effects1.asp

http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Art…es/Compression/

http://www.theprojectstudiohandbook.com/articles3.htm

Start with the first one.

General tip:
Computermusic is a great magazine (as you get some terrific vst/vsti’s for free with each issue) with very interesting articles. Also their site is full with this kind of tutorials. Although the focus is more on tradional sequencer & softstudio’s.

Thanks alot Blaster!

Yeah i know there are probably tons of good articles on the net but it’s almost impossible finding any GOOD ones…

Thanks again Blaster :) Will look into those links

Sound on Sound has a very useful Technique section.

Remember not to overuse compressor. Limiting the dynamics is not always a good thing, but in 4x4 beat tracks it’s always good.

Hiya

I’ve stumbled upon some very good compression-threads/articles in the past, and have archived the best links, which may be of use:-

"Guide to Compression" SOS article

"How and when to use compression" SOS article

"Advanced guide to compression - Part 1" SOS article

"Advanced guide to compression- Part 2" SOS article

SOS forum thread:- compressor explanation

“Waves” Compressor and Limiter tips

“Understanding Compression”, and other funky tutorials held at ‘Samplecraze’

Audiomidi.com article:- Dynamic Compression

dB Audioware dynamics tutorial

CM/FM forum thread:- Practical compression tutorial/article

Also, ‘taste’ varies between different people, and different genres can also affect massively how you use a compressor.

There is loads more stuff on the net regards the subject too, as understanding ‘compression’ is an infamous stumbling block for fresh producers.

Hope this helps, somewhat.

Timo

Remember that if you’re working in a tracker environment, your samples will generally be straight hits (e.g. kick and snare) to begin with, so the music will in fact usually sound too punchy without compression. From my experience, applying compression to tracked music is usually more a matter of smoothing the levels out to create the opposite of ‘punchy’, but as Timo already said, it really depends on the music.

I just think a lot of online articles are aimed at analogue recordings of drums, bass guitars or vocal tracks, where the fact that a human played or sung the recording gives off a greater amount of dynamics. But, excluding the use of VSTis, a recorded kick sample, for example, in a tracked tune will already be at maximum volume, and so using the compressor to generate peaks to give a ‘punchy’ sound isn’t always going to give you the results you want.

a smart workaround for this, apart from the obvious usage of the volume command, is the sample offset used to simulate long attack time.

This is even more applicable in ReNoise, because it can have more than one command column