Concept: Zoomable Pattern Editor

Not really. The idea is to have the clips available only for those that are interested in using them. They could write all segments of the tune in ‘clip editor’ and then drag the clips and arrange them in ‘pattern editor’. Others, that don’t need / like clips, could still work inside the pattern editor like they did before. And of course there is a middle way, where you can program some parts of the tune inside the pattern (e.g. the lead melody) and create repeating stuff in clips via ‘clip editor’ (e.g. drums, bass line etc.)

The idea is to give a choice. Take a look HERE to see what I mean (well, meant 2 years ago).

Ah well I can see the point.
But it will make you lose the overview of whats happening in the pattern editor as you wont see all the notes next to eachother, if the notes of the clips are not displayed.
The overview is something that is for me the strength of a tracker.

Not at all. If you zoom-in to the note level, you’ll see the notes (grouped in coloured clips) in the ‘pattern editor’ just like you can see them now. It is clearly visible in my mock-up (4th picture from the top), isn’t it?

I agree.
But not everyone does.
I sometimes use a cool program called Audacity. It has options to make things float, but the default setting
is NOT like that, floating windows is only an option in the view menu.

This could come in handy. :badteethslayer:

Don’t know why it’s taken me forever to comment on these suggestions, but the zoomable pattern concept is simply genius. I had an idea similar to it (ability to view the subticks) but couldn’t figure out a clean way of displaying it visually.

Brendan

Be careful, guys! If renoise turns into a DAW, killing the :ph34r: ninja tracker spirit, we’ll get kicked off of SDCompo!
But it’s still a great idea, just don’t go TOO crazy!

I mean, look at this! It’s an awesome idea! But go a little further and you end up with:

Where did the tracker go?

What about like this?

Normal Pattern line:
00 —
01 —
02 —
03 —
04 —
05 —
06 —
Zoomed x2:
00.0 —
00.5 —
01.0 —
01.5 —
02.0 —
02.5 —
03.0 —
03.5 —
04.0 —
04.5 —
05.0 —
05.5 —
06.0 —

Zoomed x4:
00.00 —
00.25 —
00.50 —
00.75 —
01.00 —
01.25 —
01.50 —
01.75 —
02.00 —
02.25 —
02.50 —
02.75 —
etc…

And in normal view if there is anything inbetween two line there could be a simple [ or something like that to show that you have to zoom to show it. Like:
|

^ that means there’s something inbetween 00 and 01. I can draw it nicer if someone likes the idea

I think you mean:

Normal Pattern line:
00 —
01 —
02 —
03 —
04 —
05 —
06 —
Zoomed x2:
00.0 —
00.8 —
01.0 —
01.8 —
02.0 —
02.8 —
03.0 —
03.8 —
04.0 —
04.8 —
05.0 —
05.8 —
06.0 —

Zoomed x4:
00.00 —
00.4 —
00.8 —
00.C —
01.00 —
01.4 —
01.8 —
01.C —
02.00 —
02.4 —
02.8 —
02.C —
etc…

^_^

Agreed. Loved the various conceptual screenshots too. +1trillion.
And thanks for posting that ReViSiT pattern zoom animated gif, it was a good display of how things work with ReViSiT

And when Renoise allows for toggling these clips via notes - the question then follows, can these clips eventually be non-destructively re-pitched/transposed according to the pitch that toggles the clip… And that’s when stuff really starts getting out of hand in a really good way :w00t:

Clips should not be mixed with instruments. It is messy and not very arranger friendly i guess.

I really want a zoomable pattern!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: please renoise, give me that ^_^

so, actually nobody in this thread knows how that “zoomable” approach would work in practice right?!
if someone want to get an impression, try aodix. http://www.aodix.com/

beware: win 7 not supported, you can run it but cant reload saved songs (the vst path gets lost)

This is EXACTLY what I want to see in Renoise. It’s been in my head for a while, and didn’t know entirely how to describe it.

As Byte-smasher says: +1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 for clips…they would make my livesets much less headache-inducing.

Edit: Also pattern zooming would be a lot like tables in LSDJ…which are sexy…just saying.

a bar contains of ticks right? it would be cool to able to zoom and actually see these ticks. when I first started using renoise and got into command effects like 0E and 0400 I got kind of confused as to how the effects actually worked and I still am to some extent. should you see the ticks and also how the effect commands affects them, the would be less confusion. that being said it’s not something I really desire, it probably works just as good without it, and might just serve as “a cool thing”.
just my 2 cents.

This zooming out and clips… yeah… I’m modest so I’ll just say +1. Having a sense of overview of a song and being able to just swap a pattern of snares out for another one is what I like about, for instance, FL studio.

Not sure I’ve quite got my head round zoomable patterns but if it means this:

I’m working at 4LPB, each line is a 16th note, zoom in one level and each line is a 32nd and so forth?

+1, big time.

The clip idea is also great, as long as it’s unobtrusive…

I don’t need this.

Cool idea, someday maybe but I don’t see it being worth the effort.

I think the ability to resize the upper and lower parts of the screen should be of a higher priority if enhancing the usability of renoise’s interface is the goal.

I would go for complete removal of the pattern borders and store note data inside clips only. Clips will be displayed in the arranger (former Pattern-matrix) as vertical tracks of unlimited length so there we need this "Zoomable Pattern Editor feature"for (only Patterns are not applicable anymore).

THE SOLUTION IS A COMBINATION OF ALL THESE PINNED TOPICS! :panic:

On a slight tangent here but, for anyone familiar MS excel (yes the spreadsheet program!) there is a feature of that where you can hide rows or columns in a spreadsheet, these rows/columns are still active but are hidden.

I think this feature would be really useful for the pattern editor.

For example say if you wanted to work at 8 (or 16) LPB but wanted to get the overview of 4 LPB without the crazy fast scrolling, you could hide the rows that give the higher resolution.

All the devs would have to do is add the ‘hide row’ feature and make it available as part of the API.

Tool developers could then develop whatever various different zoom tools they wanted and these could be used to inform the development of core pattern zoom functions in later versions.

I mentioned working with poly fluctuating bpm’s at the Brainstorming: Audio Tracks thread: post#205

And the more I experiment with it, the more I believe it belongs in this thread instead because what is primal for me is the creation of the wav file itself through editable patterns and automations.

And although it is possible to have poly fluctuating bpm’s running at the same time via shared bpm, it is a lengthy process and an even lengthier one if you start messing around with automations for several instruments and track dsp’s.

Plus I came across a problem for which I cannot figure out at the moment, rendering a selection with delay values both from the beginning and the end will not account for the delay values. I’m sure there is a workaround or adjusting some steps but I figure I’ll mention it in this thread as well in hopes that someone might have an answer, a resolution.