Considering nibbles and paddles exist

Thank you, young man! As an adult you can certainly understand that I’m an emotional wreck because all those years there was no dancing sprite that could have lifted me up while making music. Hopefully a rethinking is taking place and there will be either a game or a dancing sprite included in every single program, preferably by law, that no one has to go through the same as me. Someone should ask the Renoise devs if they could take care of this very serious and important matter.

3 Likes

Alright that was funny

1 Like

Seems “Nibbles” is here since FastTracker II had the game integrated in a highly visible way.

Kind of made sense then, since it was a DOS program (there was no running two programs at once really)…
allowing a composer to take a break without rebooting into another program.

My 2c: It had a utility then and perhaps this might not be so useful now.

1 Like

I think your point is fair but I don’t believe you can objectively measure what’s useful and what’s not useful to everyone, is music itself useful? What makes a feature useful? Useful to what and to whom? It’s a super broad dilemma that gives birth to silly assumption that ultimately have roots in ones own set of values and beliefs and shouldn’t be pushed as ultimate truths, all jokes aside there’s a big issue in this thread: people ridiculing a simple suggestion made by a newcomer just because they feel entitled to (a mascot or whatever isn’t a groundbreaking thing in the music production business, some DAWs nowadays have something to that effect so OP isn’t requesting anything outrageous).

You see, if one doesn’t likes the idea one can just… not comment in the thread? Or if one wants to express ones annoyance (which is ones right to do so) why not do so in a constructive way instead of sounding like an old man yelling at the clouds? This is a recurring thing here, it helps no one and I have a feeling is part of the reason Renoise is getting more and more outdated each year (in my opinion). Just let people suggest things, different people have different needs and preferences, you’re not “better” Renoise users and your opinion isn’t “better” or worth more than other Renoise users just because you’ve been using it for god knows how long idk.

Probably has more to do with the development cycle

1 Like

Renoise is developed by boomers. It’s obvious. They hate anyone under 60 which is why there’s still no TikTok integration in the tracker window. They’re probably secretly writing Rolling Stones lyrics into the source code.

5 Likes

In a DAW with such slow dev cycles, id rather real problems were addressed. You’re out here defending an idea put forward by somebody who has demonstrated little to no knowledge of Renoise and their opening gambit was a post with a dangerous link that was deleted and a request for a game or mascot or waifu to be integrated into Renoise.

When challenged, youve just thrown insults around and acted like a spoiled child that you werent provided with a pat on the head and replied along the lines of “ZOMG lulz yes plz! Give waifu game uwu”. Age has nothing to do with it and your insistence on bringing it up repeatedly is puerile. FWIW I own a Gameboy Color, Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series S - I like games. New games, old games, everything in between. I’m not asking for Renoise to be ported to Nintendo Switch (would be cool tho) and complaining like a fucking child when the idea isnt embraced.

Since you keep bringing age into things: grow the fuck up, or go back to circle jerking on the Discord.

1 Like

Hell yeah! Should someone list all the effects for you?

That’s a simple question, so is the answer:
It’s only useful when it improves the workflow and serves the purpose of the program.

Well, if you think that someone sounds like an old man yelliing at the clouds just by pointing out that something doesn’t improve anything and contributes nothing in purpose of the DAW, and therefore it’s useless, good for you. But that’s just your opinion and not a fact. But it’s a fact that any specific program was made for a specific reason and serves a specific purpose only. Feel free to use several programs in parallel, but don’t expect one specific program to be everything.

Thanks for the laugh! :joy:

3 Likes

“In a DAW with such slow dev cycles, id rather real problems were addressed.”

That’s fair, other people have politely made that point here like blo0dcl0t.

“You’re out here defending an idea put forward by somebody who has demonstrated little to no knowledge of Renoise and their opening gambit was a post with a dangerous link that was deleted and a request for a game or mascot or waifu to be integrated into Renoise.”

Again, being a newcomer doesn’t invalidate his suggestion, perspective on Renoise and preferences, if you think only the VIP Renoise Forum club of people using the DAW for at least 654 years can suggest things it’s your problem and it’s not an excuse to be a dick. The link isn’t dangerous it’s just not HTTPS encrypted you goofy, it’s a known website (no, it wasn’t deleted) of a known tool in the Reaper community.

“When challenged, youve just thrown insults around and acted like a spoiled child that you werent provided with a pat on the head and replied along the lines of “ZOMG lulz yes plz! Give waifu game uwu””

Challenged? You guys were just throwing insults around, that’s not a challenge in my books. Aren’t you guys ashamed of acting like this? Also, the FL Studio mascot (and the Reaper replica) isn’t even a Waifu. You don’t even know what you’re talking about.

“Age has nothing to do with it and your insistence on bringing it up repeatedly is puerile. FWIW I own a Gameboy Color, Switch, PS5 and Xbox Series S - I like games. New games, old games, everything in between. I’m not asking for Renoise to be ported to Nintendo Switch (would be cool tho) and complaining like a fucking child when the idea isnt embraced.”

Oh, you own console games, that totally justifies ridiculing someone else just because you don’t like their idea and now you’re comparing their idea with porting Renoise to Nintendo Switch just because… why not? It’s totally the same thing!

1 Like

“That’s a simple question, so is the answer:
It’s only useful when it improves the workflow and serves the purpose of the program.”

And do you realize how that’s ultimately tied to ones own set of beliefs, preferences and perspective? Or are you just conveniently ignoring what I previously wrote?

“Well, if you think that someone sounds like an old man yelliing at the clouds just by pointing out that something doesn’t improve anything and contributes nothing in purpose of the DAW, and therefore it’s useless, good for you”

No, someone sounds like an old man yelling at the clouds when they push their own subjective opinion like an ultimate truth of sorts and use this opinion to justify being rude to others.

“But it’s a fact that any specific program was made for a specific reason and serves a specific purpose only. Feel free to use several programs in parallel, but don’t expect one specific program to be everything.”

DAWs can serve many purposes, that’s why it’s a Digital Audio Workstation, not an editor, not a restoration suite. I don’t expect every software to have everything the same way I don’t mind people suggesting things.
It doesn’t matter if you think “Renoise needs this and this and not this”, people are allowed to suggest things and their suggestions don’t necessarily exclude or invalidate other suggestions so stop bitching about it, as I said earlier it helps no one and just scares people away.

Sorry dude, but you’re the one who started insulting, no one else. :point_up:
Everyone was talking about the idea until you came up with the boomer stuff. Wake up.

Obviously you don’t understand the heart of the matter. A dancing sprite has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with creating music! It’s not that hard to get that, isn’t it?

1 Like

“Sorry dude, but you’re the one who started insulting, no one else. :point_up:
Everyone was talking about the idea until you came up with the boomer stuff. Wake up.”

Quoting you: “Seriously? I’m a little surprised someone is seriously asking for useless crap that contributes absolutely nothing to a DAW. It’s quite the contrary, this would unnecessarily inflate a DAW. It’s about creating music, no more and no less”

“[…] If there’s someone who really wants to waste time by creating a tool that contains useless crap, go for it. I say it’s better to just open a GIF if you really need to see someone or something dancing to your music, just like this:”

“Well, we all know that the REAL fun is CREATING MUSIC, and that’s what a DAW was made for, right? What do you think why there’s for example no built-in Mortal Kombat in Microsoft Word? It would be fun, right? But that’s not what Microsoft Word was made for. No need to say more.”

So all of this is ok, polite and constructive and the problem is me calling you a boomer? Are you deliberately ignoring all of this or are you that oblivious?

“Obviously you don’t understand the heart of the matter. A dancing sprite has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with creating music! It’s not that hard to get that, isn’t it?”

Obviously you don’t understand that what “has to do with music” is a subjective matter and some people might very well feel inspired by silly things, like a pizza box, a sunset view, a peak meter or a dancing sprite and that’s none of your business. Stop gatekeeping music creation dude. Stop being rude. Look all the crap you said to the only effect of offending OP just because you disagree with his suggestion.

Wow, this thread went south rather quickly… To the OP: Renoise has a very capable API. If there’s a feature missing that you would like to see, it’s worth trying to make it yourself. I didn’t know much about programming when I first got involved with making tools, but learnt so much through doing it, it was really a great learning process. And there are many helpful users here who are willing to give guidance and advice.

Dude, it’s getting ridiculous now. Are you serious? Do you have this distorted view on purpose or is this just a bad joke? Who am I insulting? Show me! :man_facepalming:

Right, and that’s also not Renoise’s business! Who cares what the fuck inspires someone personally? Should everything that inspires someone be included in a DAW? Let’s include a pizza box around the pattern editor! What about a sunset view in the background of the matrix? As you might know Renoise already allows you to change colors, to change fonts, to change background logos or whatever. That’s more than enough. If you need inspiration you just have to look around. Go outside, watch the sparkling stars, whatever. That’s not part of the producing process. I would appreciate if you at least try to understand, because that’s the heart of the matter. Peace out.

“Dude, it’s getting ridiculous now. Are you serious? Do you have this distorted view on purpose or is this just a bad joke? Who am I insulting? Show me! :man_facepalming:

So you are that oblivious.

“Right, and that’s also not Renoise’s business! Who cares what the fuck inspires someone personally?”

Are you a Renoise representative? Since you speak like you have creative control over Renoise’s business.

“Who cares what the fuck inspires someone personally? Should everything that inspires someone be included in a DAW?”

No one ever said that, as I said earlier its a subjective decision and it’s up to the devs to decide what they think it’s useful to feature in their software.

“As you might know Renoise already allows you to change colors, to change fonts, to change background logos or whatever. That’s more than enough.”

Your opinion. Right now I’m not calling your opinion trash and I’m not being passive aggressive just because I disagree with it, see? It’s not that hard.

“If you need inspiration you just have to look around. Go outside, watch the sparkling stars, whatever. That’s not part of the producing process. I would appreciate if you at least try to understand, because that’s the heart of the matter. Peace out.”

I understand your point but you need to understand that you’re gatekeeping and that’s not cool. Your subjective opinion isn’t the law and that doesn’t give you the right to be rude to people.

Have a good one, cheers.

Wrong. You should learn to distinguish insulting from a personal opinion about a THING. So if you say that you need a dancing sprite and I say it’s useless crap, in fact I’m not insulting YOU as a person. Do you get that? Come on, you’re an adult, right? :wink:

This is what the Renoise staff has to say about that matter. :upside_down_face:

Look, if I say I love a specific song, and you say this song is fucking crap and there should be a death penalty for listening to that song, you are NOT insulting me as a person. You just say that you don’t like that specific song. It’s not that hard to understand.

“Wrong. You should learn to distinguish insulting from a personal opinion about a THING. So if you say that you need a dancing sprite and I say it’s useless crap, in fact I’m not insulting YOU as a person. Do you get that? Come on, you’re an adult, right? :wink:

Of course, it can be insulting even tho I’m not personally insulted by you. It doesn’t need to get personal to be insulting. It’s not a black and white thing. Also I’m not OPs suggestion so obviously I’m alright with it.

" This is what the Renoise staff has to say about that matter. :upside_down_face:"

Yeah, I’m aware, that doesn’t mean OPs suggestion is useless, it just means DEVs aren’t interested in it.

Alright, I think this is enough, we’re cluttering this thread with an argument that is helping no one at this point. Can we just agree to disagree? I got nothing against you or anyone here, I know a lot of people here and love Renoise, if you’re interested we can continue this chat on PM.

Hope you have a good day.

Come on! An adult can handle other opinions about things without feeling insulted.

They’re not interested because it’s useless in terms of music production. :slightly_smiling_face:

Fuck no, give it a rest. :joy:
Have a nice day, too! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I didn’t say or think it was just a toy. The tracker interface is really fast for getting ideas down and for songwriting. It’s just not something I would use regularly (or rather, would’ve used regularly in the past, nowadays I’m using Renoise more often), because things like track routing, sidechaining, parallel processing, recording, etc. are better in a linear DAW like Pro Tools or REAPER, and doing this in Renoise is IMO a lot slower.

I’m not sure who this was directed to, but I’ll just say these assumptions are a little silly.

I’ll give you this. I admit I didn’t handle that very well,

It wasn’t a request at all. It was me being surprised that such a thing doesn’t exist in a DAW like this. Modern DAW with a tracker interface, highly customizable, lends itself very well to DnB, breakbeat, nightcore (genres that I’ve seen a lot of anime fans like and listen to). Plus the fact that, well, nibbles and paddles are things, which I still think are as useless as a ‘dancing sprite’ would be. But having read all these replies, I’m not surprised anymore.

Also you talk about hyperbole but there was nothing dangerous about the link, it was just a Japanese blog that didn’t support https.

Indeed, it did.

====================================================================================

I’m still processing some of the replies here. A lot of valid points were made, but it went from outright dismissing the post to making personal assumptions to people arguing and insulting each other. On hindsight I shouldn’t even have made this post but then again I didn’t really know what the reaction would be like, or how passionate some people would be about their opinions so much to be harsh. I’ve seen this happen in KVR, never thought I’d see it happen here.

I’m not sure how people thought this was a feature request; that wasn’t the point of this post. I guess they read too much into what I said or how I may have said it. But that’s okay. If I really really really wanted to have a Dancer in Renoise, I’d just load FL Studio as a VST. And that’s not even the first thing I’d do that for; it has several great instruments that I can record into Renoise. Sytrus and Harmor, for instance, are very unique to the DAW and the only place you can find the old VST versions is warez sites, but I digress.

This is the end of it .If I upset any of you with this silly topic, I apologize.