Context Based Undo

Maybe this has been suggested before, but the way UNDO works currently is a bit frustrating at times.

I would like to propose context based undo functionality - the patter editor would have it’s own undo buffer, the DSP chain would have it’s own, the sample editor would have its own, etc.

As it is now, I come to lots of situations where I change something in a pattern, then edit a DSP effect, but wish to undo the pattern edit and NOT the DSP effect … as the layers increase and there are changes done everywhere where undos are possible, this problem becomes magnified.

Can anyone think of a reason why undo SHOULDN’T be context sensitive?

Quoting vV from this post:

So, is it worth an “enormous amount of work”?

In short: yes.

Simply because something is difficult to do seems like a very shortsighted rationale for not doing it!

Of course there are other much more important aspects of the software that are in need of attention. Undo is, in the grand scheme of things, not very high on the list.

However, as UNDO functionality is now, it is only useful as long as a single aspect (pattern editor, arranger, dsp chain) is used. Once that boundary is crossed, UNDO ceases to be useful (at least for me).

Don’t worry.
AFAIK the intention is to make the undo much better in the future.
But it was simply too much work for 1.8.
So look at it more like a missing feature for now.
Now it’s a function to repair accidents.
Later it will be more like a helpful tool as suggested.