Continue Playing Sample On Next Note With The Latest Position

Hi

I’m not sure whether this function exists in Renoise. I have a rough memory of something like that existing on Impulse Tracker (or maybe I just wished it did exist back then!). The idea is simple: playing a sample say on note C-5, then when it comes to note A-5 in the next row the sample doesn’t get retriggered but instead continues playing from whatever position it was playing already.

I can’t seem to remember what the option was in Renoise (if that exists!), maybe it’s there but I still haven’t familiarised myself with the new sample/instrument tab editor so maybe that’s the reason I can’t find it… ^_^

Anyone caring to shed some light on this? Thanks!

this looks like glissando command 05xx?

C-5 01 0000  
A-5 01 0590 <= 90 = glissando of 9 semitones in a row (A-5 - C-5 = 9 semitones)  

i think the 05xx command can do it ‘accurate’, as in that it pitches up/down to the note you provide it.
you could also do it through the pitch-commands, 01xx pitch up and 02xx pitch down, where 0110 would pitch it up one semitone (i think)

You would need note-portamento for that. (entering a note without instrument number) but Renoise doesn’t support that.
You could apply effects using instrument ghosting that wouldn’t retrigger the sample but instant frequency change without retrigger doesn’t work.
Perhaps an idea that a note without instrument number would cause the note-portamento. The only thing i wonder is where to configure the inertia setting for this.

vV, I don’t get what you are describing here, probably because I almost never used impulse tracker. Anyway, instant frequency changes can be obtained by reducing the number of ticks per line to two with command F202; when the setting is like that, the two lines I have written in my previous post will cause the frequency to immediately (Id set: in the time of two ticks) change form C5 to A5

Yes, it would be like the Glissando (I call it portamento to note, haha) in that it continues where the latest note left, but it wouldn’t do a ‘transitional’ pitch up or down until it got to the destination note.

I find this idea mostly appealing for using large samples (like pads) which have filter sweeps in the sample itself… and with the current Renoise behaviour it sounds a bit “too tracker” when playing chords, because it begins playing from the beginning on each new note, and you can hear the sweep starting again.

Maybe the pad example makes things clearer?

I know about the portamento (and I’m actually using it already in that song!) but I was thinking of something more automated without having to enter pattern commands on each note :slight_smile:

Thanks for the suggestions, specially It-Alien’s ticks per line ‘trick’, it’s always handy to remember that (since I’m not that hypertechnical as you ;))

As mentioned the best way currently is reducing TPL and using 05xx glide.

Renoise has some kind of dummy note, where you enter a pitch without the instrument number, but this still plays the sample again from the beginning, it just doesn’t retrigger the envelope. I did previously think this did what you want but unfortunately that is not the case. May be useful for chip-sound like samples but not much good for longer (rendered) ones.

Maybe a per-instrument setting on whether dummy notes retrigger the sample or not, default that they do so as not to break any old songs?

ah i see what you mean now. funny, i never thought about asking around for this. i always solve this problem with the instrument envelopes, giving them a long(ish) attack and delay and setting the NNA to Note-Off, making them blend over that way.

I’m not sure if I got what you mean, but wouldn’t a lower value for 05xx make it?

C-5 01 0000  
A-5 01 0550 <= notice 0550 instead of higher 05A0, will port the note to half of the distance between C and A  
--- -- 0550 <= this will end the portamento. the transition now lasts for two rows instead of one  

varying the values and the number of the 05xx commnads should give you enough freedom to do what you want

hopefully, when we will restructure XRNI format, something like an automated monophonic portamento will be available