Continue sample from current position in new notes?

Let’s say you have a long pad sample, and you want to make use of it’s length. Is there an easier/more precise way than manually using 0Sxx’s to make new notes pick up from the previous note’s play position?

Open multiple fx columns and enter:

0DFF 0DFF 0DFF 0DFF (or more)

This sort of works the same way as tape stop, so you’ll of course have to reverse it with a bunch of 0UFF’s to resume playback. Depending on how long you want to stop the sample you might have to use less or more, and you probably will need to slap on an auto DC offset correcter.

(Edit: gave it a try, you’ll probably want twice the amount, and a high pass works better than the DC correcter. Still sounds quirky though, not the most usable thing, but still worth giving a shot.

use 0GFF (note glissando) instead of ODFF/0UFF: 0GFF will stop when the desired note will be reached:

C-4 ----  
C-3 0GFF   

in the example above, although FF is more than the amount needed to perform the glissando entirely (C0), the glissando will stop when C-3 wil be reached.

in order to perform the glissando in even less time and more abruptly, you could also reduce the number of ticks per row using the ZKxx command:

C-4 ZK10 ---- <= number of ticks per row is set to 16 in the song  
C-3 ZK01 0GFF set number of ticks per row to 1  
--- ZK10 ---- <= set the number of ticks per row to 16 again  

There should be a simple command to change the note instantly. Or in other words: Would be a welcome addition.

0GFF should do this, like it (or equivalent command) does in pretty much all other trackers.

ZK01 0GFF does change note instantly. An explicit “change the note instantly” command would simply be overkill.

At this point, we can’t change 0GFF to be instant glide, because it will obviously break backwards compatibility.

Being forced to change your TPL mid-pattern is also not the answer here, either, since it will adversely affect all other TPL-based timings, and it’s just an awkward workaround in general. I would never use this technique myself.

We may not necessarily need a dedicated instant glide command, but we do need this general feature to be implemented somehow, in my honest opinion, and it’s already been discussed a little bit. We’re toying with the idea of also allowing Gx commands in the vol/pan columns, and then using GF for instant glide. This doesn’t break backwards compatibility, because the glide command has never been valid in the vol/pan columns anyway, and it also gives a nice bonus of being able to combine glides with note delays. And if people still really want the old almost-instant-but-not-quite GFF crap, then they can of course use that, too.

We’re toying with the idea of also allowing Gx commands in the vol/pan columns

(.public.) .News. .of. .the. .month.

Agree.

+1

I hesitated, but I sure am glad now I asked this. I had no idea 0Gxx kept the sample position! My only regret is I have a night class that runs until almost 9pm and I have to wait for all eternity before I can actually get home and try it out.

+100000000

But does GFF (or the still-experimental-and-much-anticipatedly-awesomeness-of-an-instant-glissando) still pick the sample offset up where a previous note leaves off if there’s a note-off in between, or is it only when played legato?

Nope, a note-off resets the position, but setting the volume to zero doesn’t =)

/* edit */ If you want the note-off, say for the envelopes etc… another option is to play the next note with a Sxx (sample offset) command.