Contract / Extend Note-selection

I just got this idea while working with a piano / base arrangement.
Basically, what I did was I recorded the piano first, getting the “swing” just as I liked it, note delays and everything… then I added a simple 4/4 bass in another track.

What happened was that the piano track was not only unsynched, but also too long. I like the rhythm of the track itself but it needs to be 4 ticks shorter (to match the end of the baseline)

To explain what I mean think of something like this:

Piano Base  

00. | C-401 00 000 | C-3 |  
01. | --- | --- |  
02. | --- | --- |  
03. | c-401 | --- |  
04. | --- | C-4 |  
05. | --- | --- |  
06. | --- | --- |  
07. | G-401 D2 | --- |  
08. | --- | C-3 |  
09. | --- | --- |  
10. | G-401 D3 | --- |  
11. | --- | --- |  
12. | --- | C-4 |  
13. | --- | --- |  
14. | --- | --- |  
15. | --- | --- |________ <== end  
16. | --- | ... |  
17. | A-401 000 | ... |  
18. | --- | ... |  
19. | --- | ... |  

I’m no ASCII artist really, but what the above illustration fails to illustrate is that the piano track is not synched to the 4/4 beat. It SOUNDS alright if you just listen to it without a metronome or other rhythm to guide you, but when you add the base it’s too slow.

What I am suggesting is a method to select a range of notes – from 00 up to about 20 in this example – and then “push” up the bottom of the range effectively compressing the note data within – in my example I would push the lower end up to tick 16. This would change the note position and the delay of the affected individual notes, but would preserve the overall ratio

Am I making myself clear…? Not sure if I understand it myself, but it’s really quite a simple idea… :)

I get it. Cool idea!

+1

are you playing with metronme
make first drums and than play piano sinced to drums

i cant understand whats wrong

Nice idea, indeed.

Fantastic idea! The possibilities of having something like this are endless!

So yeah, you DEFINITELY get my stamp of approval!

+1