Controlling Renoise with a GameCube Controller

I have a live setup considering of mylaptop running multiple 2 Renoise instances, a few effect boxes, and a Gamepad. More specifically my trusty Nintendo GameCube controller, connected through a Wii U adapter. When performing with it live, I’ve been converting the input to MIDI-signal with Avis Rejoiceredirecting it back to Renoise with LoopRE. However, a recent change from Windows to MAC has made this a tad bit tougher, with compatibility issues with Avis Rejoice and all similar software I’ve come across so far.

Heading on tour by the end of the month, I was curious if anyone had a similar setup or maybe a better solution for controlling Renoise with Gamepads? Would be sad to leave my controller behind this time. Being able to do this without some quirky third partysoftware would be amazing.

Perhaps this could be made possible through a Renoise Tool or feature, letting the software read the signal from the adapter?Unfortunately, I lack knowledge and experience in coding to find this out myself.

Firstpost, feel free to tell me off if this one belongs somewhere else.

I think it’s going to be tricky, partially because the Renoise API doesn’t do direct parallel/serial port communication (OSC, MIDI and HTTP are your options), but also due to the following:

This document includes a pin out of the controller port, deduced from an examination of the controller and console with multimeter and oscilloscope, and from some experimentation. Therefore, I make no guarantee that any of this information is accurate, and you use it at your own risk. It’s my_best guess_at how this thing works :slight_smile:

Basically, he reverse-engineered the thing by looking at what it was transmitting. Without a controller at hand, this will not be so easy a task…

But if you can get something working that does any of the aforementioned protocols then you’re good to to. In case you’re interested I made a tool that that allows highly customized configurations of a controller - but it’s limited to OSC and MIDI.

I tried joy2midi once. It worked well but that was on PC.

Can we also get Vectrex Light Pen support in the Renoise arm64 Gentoo build?

Change back to Windows.

I think it’s going to be tricky, partially because the Renoise API doesn’t do direct parallel/serial port communication (OSC, MIDI and HTTP are your options), but also due to the following:

Basically, he reverse-engineered the thing by looking at what it was transmitting. Without a controller at hand, this will not be so easy a task…

But if you can get something working that does any of the aforementioned protocols then you’re good to to. In case you’re interested I made a tool that that allows highly customized configurations of a controller - but it’s limited to OSC and MIDI.

Thanks for the reply mate. I guess the only way to make this work would be through third party software. My mac didn’t arrived yet, but I’m going to start off testingMidiHIDor OSCulatorwhich both look promising.