Converting songs made in Windows to Mac


I’ve got some tracks I want to play in my mates studio - he’son mac and has the same plugins as me. Unfortunately, when I load the track I get a tonne of error messages:

Is it possible that I can use this track on a mac with the same settings or does it have to be re-built?



PS Yes there is a lot of Valhalla here!

Have a look into /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST, how the plugins are named in filename. Then open your song.xml, search for example for “ValhallaPlate_x64” until you find the node “PluginIdentifier” and then change it to the name in the VST dir.

aren’t those a lot of plate reverbs :slight_smile:

in my experience (windows to linux) if the vst filename (without extension) matches between OSs it works (in your case ValhallaPlate_x64)

I’m sure ffx’s answer is more useful though

Thanks, thats an amazingly logical solution, brilliant!

I think I’d just got the valhallas! I recommend TSAR now to be honest, but its way more expensive

Thanks, thats an amazingly logical solution, brilliant!

I think I’d just got the valhallas! I recommend TSAR now to be honest, but its way more expensive

oh! I just got a voucher on my mail for a discount on this reverb (are they listening?), too poor right now though

also valhallaroom + little plate + the eventual IR does the trick for me

BUT I will follow your recommendation and try the demo, thanks!

Thanks, thats an amazingly logical solution, brilliant!

I would be interesting in hearing if this technique worked out.

I remember trying something similar the nodes had big chunks of CDATA. The plugins would crash because the configurations were not compatible. This was back when Macintosh ran on G4/G5 motorola chips so maybe that was the problem?

Nowadays, and also since years, VST plugins will be compiled for Windows and Mac using the same sources. So the fxp and fxb preset data will be identical.

Renoise implemented the ID mechanism in a wrong way: Other DAWs will look into the Info.plist of the VST plugin to determine its real plugin id, which will be then the same as in Windows. Instead, Renoise looks for the plain executable filename inside the plugin.vst dir. Some vendors use different naming as on their windows versions though, for example MeldaProduction.

Its fair to say this did, and didnt work… I copied the plugin title over then it still wouldntload. So I made a track with just the AU ValhallaPlate and saved it - opened the xrnsand copied the following text to my track:



AU: Valhalla DSP, LLC: ValhallaPlate



To replace…



AU: Valhalla DSP, LLC: ValhallaPlate



This now loads but the parameters are not set properly. Given the time taken to get this far, its easier just to screengrab/save the presets and load them in manually.

Worth noting to open the XNRS files you MUST rename it to a zip, or the programs wont recognise it as a compressed file

Oooh no, Audiounit preset data and VST preset data isof course not compatible. You cannot change it to VST spontaneously :slight_smile:

Not sure what you wanted to achieve here, can you explain to me? What you can do is the following:

  • Converting songs using Windows VSTs to a Mac working variant, only if you have the same plugin installed on both systems, with the same version, simply by renaming the PluginIdentifier node

  • You can convert a preset from the Audiounit version to the VST version of a plugin, if the plugin provides an own preset mechanism/browser, so saving there the preset and then load the vst version and load the preset there

  • Workaround the current AU bug, so your pre-10.13-on-macos-saved will load normally, until this bug will be fixed (maybe another topic, refer here)

You can always save the individual plugin’s format by opening the preset context menu on the plugin and select “export preset” or “import preset”. Then you will see that AU-plugins save in their own .aupreset format, while VST uses a preset structure called .fxp and for banks .fxb. In the renoise song this data will be xml bin encoded (I would prefer to have those fxp/aupreset data directly there), so it may look similar but it is not at all.