Convolver and latency

Quick question - does the wet convolver signal have latency compared to the dry or is this compensated for by renoise? I’m trying to understand how it compares to my hardware setup. Thanks!

Hello. I don’t know if the Renoise convolver itself introduces (compensated, hidden) latency - there is technology for this kind of effect, that does to save cpu power, and there’s some that doesn’t and needs a little more cpu power.

But one thing I know, when you upload a filter kernel, then the wet signal can be delayed by it like with a filter. I.e. if you take a cabinet impulse response…and it has some pre-ringing or time before the main peak of the filter, then the response will delay the signal by that time at the same time while filtering it. You cannot remove this delay, you can only mitigate it by fixing the impulse response. Some impulse responses might have no noticeable “delay” in the wet, but will generally smear everything through time, so you cannot really say how much delay it introduces.

To fix it manually, you can for example try to look at the impulse response sample, and cut any leading silence in that sample to lessen the delay. So if you recorded your hardware device with an impulse to get the IR, then make sure there is no silence at the beginning, else it will add delay to the wet signal additionally to the pre-delay.

1 Like

yes it has!
I hate that. its really useless for some situations and setups.

Actually I now checked by using a 1-sample impulse as IR file and sending the same impulse through it, comparing dry and wet output. It is exact, the (wet) IR latency is compensated it seems to me!

BUT this means that the IR still can have “latency” in comparison to the dry signal, if the latency is in the IR itself! The IR can and should mess with the frequencies and phase of the input majorly, so layering with dry signal would usually introduce many artifacts.

But if you want to layer dry signal i.e. with a cab sim IR or room impulse that has a strong foreground impulse, then you actually need to delay the DRY signal before mixing it with the wet signal, so it matches the delay in the IR sample (i.e. by using sends to mix the dry back with a static 100% wet chorus as delay, and disabling dry signal in the convolver).

You can try loading the IR sample, then looking for the first largest peak… measure how many milliseconds the peak is from the beginning, this is the amount you need to delay the dry signal to match up the phase as much as possible.

1 Like