Copy Automation With Selection..

After some searcing on this forum and reading the manual it seems that there is no way to copy Automation with the selection.

Perhaps it could be selectable wheter this is on or not… When starting to compose a song there are certain situations where you would like to have this option on as default, and then I understand there are those situations where you have composed 4 bars and want to put a filter sweep to them and then edit the notes afterwards - but the latter case is more rare. (And by this I mean that you rarely come back to totally change the notation for which you have created the long sweeps for - thus the copy option might work better the other way round)

Anyhow both scenarios can happen and there might be a need for keycommand to switch this behaviour on and off aswell as a tickbox (?)

Just noticed this when making a track and that kinda jams stuff to be not able to do this without touching the mouse…

Or perhaps there is a way to copy selection by KBD but I just missed it in the manual?

Peace…

[quote="#<0x0000562852140b60>"]

After some searcing on this forum and reading the manual it seems that there is no way to copy Automation with the selection.

Perhaps it could be selectable wheter this is on or not… When starting to compose a song there are certain situations where you would like to have this option on as default, and then I understand there are those situations where you have composed 4 bars and want to put a filter sweep to them and then edit the notes afterwards - but the latter case is more rare. (And by this I mean that you rarely come back to totally change the notation for which you have created the long sweeps for - thus the copy option might work better the other way round)

Anyhow both scenarios can happen and there might be a need for keycommand to switch this behaviour on and off aswell as a tickbox (?)

Just noticed this when making a track and that kinda jams stuff to be not able to do this without touching the mouse…

Or perhaps there is a way to copy selection by KBD but I just missed it in the manual?

Peace…
[/quote]

Hmm… theres a content mask option in advanced edit for automation that seems to do nothing… maybe a future option?

What we need is hotkeyable content mask with cycle-through configurable presets (to avoid needing overwhelming amount of hotkeys to control edit mask).</0x0000562852140b60>

yeah agreed.

If you want to copy a selection of the automation, you can only achieve that by copying the selected area inside the automation window.
There is currently no real way to bind parts of the automation contents to the related track.

You either copy the whole automation frame along using the content mask and afterwards cut what you don’t need in the other track or you select the part manually in the automation window, copy and paste it along to the other track (not using the content mask).

Yeah,

thanks vV.

Already knew that though.

I think this should be implemented, but not sure what others think. If the automation could be masked with the track selection, it would easen automating alot.

For example… This would allow for easy sidechain-like envelope modelling ;) Also it would make automation lightning-fast. =)

[quote="#<0x00005628509650e0>, post:5, topic:20641"]

For example… This would allow for easy sidechain-like envelope modelling ;)
[/quote]

Hahaha!

You sure know which strings to pull. ;)</0x00005628509650e0>

[quote="#<0x000056284d2e0da8>, post:5, topic:20641"]
Yeah,

thanks vV.

Already knew that though.

I think this should be implemented, but not sure what others think. If the automation could be masked with the track selection, it would easen automating alot.

For example… This would allow for easy sidechain-like envelope modelling ;) Also it would make automation lightning-fast. =)
[/quote]

It might be, but Renoise cannot anticipate on what effects you have on the other track you copy automation to. Suppose the possibilities (even if Renoise automatically copies your DSP effect along), you always have these problems:

Are there dsp effect effects in your target track? Are they the same and in the same positions? To which dsp effects? And if dsp effects would be copied along, would they shift effects being controlled by pattern effect command beyond reach? (would effect 15 controlled by Fyzz be shifted to position 16 or higher)

What if you would like to copy arbritrary parameter values from dsp x in track 01 to dsp y in track 02, would the plugin like the value or would it cause Renoise to crash?

There are many trapdoors lurking around the corner. At least a lot of considerations to think over if they make this kind of implementation worthwhile or useless.</0x000056284d2e0da8>

Hi,

Okay now I see… Totally logical.

Hmm… perhaps this would be overcome by a “lock plug-ins to the track” option.

Copying automation from that channel to another would be prevented

…and it would only work on the channel that’s being selected… (?)

hmm…

okey… I’m not a programmer so I’ll stop brainstorming for now… =)=)

Hmm sorry, this is something I did not actually understand. I think I’ll read this again tomorrow =)

[quote="#<0x0000562851656538>, post:8, topic:20641"]

Hmm sorry, this is something I did not actually understand. I think I’ll read this again tomorrow =)
[/quote]

You can only control the first 15 dsp effects from within the pattern effect columns. If a DSP effect would be copied over along with its (automated) parameters, it would either have to be added to the end of the chain or if undesired being shifted on front of the chain.

If the dsp effect would be inserted on front of the chain and if you would for a chance happen to control the 15th dsp plugin using an effect command, another dsp plugin will be shifted in its place making the pattern effect suddenly control a parameter of a different plugin. (the dsp effect that was previously effect 14).</0x0000562851656538>

[quote="#<0x0000562851473a40>, post:5, topic:20641"]

[/quote]

hm…

now coming to think of it, sidechain like envelope modelling would could not be easily done with this…

It would actually require the kind of automation lanes, that would be ghost parts of the beat that is being edited so that they would update on every beat after every edit…

Just tried to sidechain using volume and… erm… yeah you cannot do that efficiently with automation =)</0x0000562851473a40>

Hi,

now I think I got the idea.

I think there is no need for the automation lanes to be copyable over tracks. Because (I think) hardly anyone copies automation from track to another. Unless, they duplicate the whole track or so…

Anyone with me on this? Does anyone need the automation to be copied from one track to another? This is a good point vV so thanks for bringing it up. Had not actually thought about this earlier…