CPU usage going wild with just 3 plugins

Hey guys!

I have a 64-bit Renoise 3.1 (full version) running on Windows 10 and a strong, modern computer. I have a USB Sound Blaster SBX audio card.

The song is a single pattern, three instruments (freeware 32-bit VSTs) each in a separate track, and whenever I play the song, the CPU usage quickly goes over the hills (90%+). This mostly happens even when just playing notes in edit mode. I tried the static buffer modes for each of them, but that didn’t change a thing.

I did not experience these issues when running the same Renoise version on Windows 7 (64-bit) on a much older computer.

What can I do to solve the issue? Do you think it’s because the plugins are only 32-bit and I’m running a 64-bit Renoise? Or the specific plugins themselves are badly optimized maybe?

I started a new song with a bunch of VST effects (about 10 of them) with only sending basic sines through them, and this works without a hitch, but also burns like 40% CPU. Seems too brutal to me on such a modern machine. I used to have a lot more plugins in some of my songs on Win 7 and I never experienced CPU over-usage issues.

Thank you!

What plugins, what CPU, and how much RAM?

What plugins, what CPU, and how much RAM?

Yeah, sorry to leave that out.

Plugins: Syncersoft Analog Voice 32-bit and Audiose Anenome 32-bit.

CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz (8 cores)

RAM: 32 GB

Probably due to buggy 32 bit synthedit plugins .

A quick look at the website of syncersoft …tells me it’s synthedit …I wouldn’t wanna touch these with a 10 pole stick .:slight_smile:

Not saying these are all bad , but a lot of them can cause problems in a 64 bit environment .

Your new computer probably has CPU throttling.

Turn that off when working on multi-media.

Similar problems:

+https://forum.renoise.com/t/solved-big-performance-problem/25511

Your new computer probably has CPU throttling.

Turn that off when working on multi-media.

Similar problems:

+https://forum.renoise.com/t/solved-big-performance-problem/25511

That was most likely it! The song with the supposedly “crappy” plugins runs at about 50% CPU usage and eventually flips over, so that didn’t help much here, but the other songs are now more in line.

Thank you!