Creating bass waveform

Hi,

I know I could use samples and forget about this, but just trying to learn a bit.

I am trying to get more into synthesis using renoise only and in particular looking at bass at the moment. I wanted to try to create something that approximated a bass guitar. I came across this tutorial for massive which is exactly the sort of tone I’m looking for.

I realise that renosie does not have a wavetable synth but with the brilliant custom synth and selection shaper tools I feel it might be possible to approximate the ‘bender’ waveform that is used in the massive patch. This gif shows that the bender waveform dials from a pure sine through to a spike with a low duty cycle. The patch modulates the wavetable to deform the sine wave with an envelope. I sampled the patch waveform from the tutorial and can see the underlying form is a sine wave skewed with a 30% duty cycle and another waveform in the 70% half of the wave. I sampled the bass in the intro to Dazed and confused and the approximate repeating waveform is quite similar to that in the massive patch.

Can anyone see how I could recreate or approximate this patch in renoise using more primitive sampled waves + modulation/filter?

Thanks,
Ross

1 Like

Hi, I found the morphsynth tool which looks great. I’ll learn how it works and try to replicate the bender wavetable. If anyone has any specific advice, would be great to hear.

Thanks,
Ross

1 Like

I would suggest looking at the waveforms generated by Massive. Focus on Bender.

Grab the audio samples from here:

The Sine Shaper: you may have to fiddle around with Distortion along with Key Trig/LFO Envelopes on some of the parameters.

Example how Sine Shaper works.:

As for randomize samples:

The key to understanding how the waveshape is achieved is to follow that video and figure out what are the Renoise equivalents parameters to achieve what the person is doing.

2 Likes

you could try using single cycle waveforms of 2-6 states and crossfade (2 in mod sets, or 6 with send track tricks…) them to get a similar result to the wavetable osc.

This is a really interesting topic. There are already “old” tools that generate waves of different types. It would be great to have a well-worked tool with a user-friendly GUI.

You can create mathematical formulas with variables with LUA. Control these variables using virtual controls (faders, slider bars, valueboxes …). In this way you can manipulate the wave, the number of points, stretch it, create ramps, etc.

I started a private tool long ago that I stopped halfway. But to be interesting, it involves investing enough time to make creating new waves really useful and fun. With the large number of samples available already built, these types of tools seem limited or unimportant.

I managed to create sine waves (or others) with the ability to make start and end ramps while preserving the loop drawing.

I also think that a native wave generator in Renoise would be very interesting.

1 Like

Make it so! :slightly_smiling_face:
I usually create a bunch of single-cycle waveforms with the Milkytracker waveform generator for renoise. It’s great, but there are so many other types of waveforms that can be created via FM synthesis that get really pretty. What would be awesome to have (and a few other trackers have it) is an OPL3 generator. The old Adlib/Windows/Yamaha YM2612 audio chip that was in all our computers back in the 90’s. I know I can find emulators online, and I know I can use other trackers and I know every other sort of solution people are going to offer me. Tried it, did it, doing it already :smiley: Anyway, the FM synthesis in the OPL3 chip is a beautiful thing, and I believe there is already code out there, maybe even open source, that could save some time in making one of these for Renoise. I mean for it to be a single-cycle waveform generator, not an actual synth. The modulations for it can be done with the sampler already.

Everybody loves it, Github is FULL of code for it. The link below has SO MUCH info for it.

1 Like

I meant follow up with my progress. The custom wave synth and morph synth tools are really good. I could get really close to the base waveform of the wavetable in the tutorial I posted above. The diode wave shape with controllable duty cycle in morphsynth with a low pass filter was easiest. The thing I couldn’t achieve was the morphing waveform of the massive waveshaper - pulse width and amplitude change seamlessly without changing the period of the waveform. This got me thinking it was a bit like pwm.

My goal was really just to create a bass guitar sound, and I later found an even better tutorial to create that with a quarter pulse wave, which can be done in renoise with the saw wave pwm trick, or using the pulse waveform in the custom wave synth tool. Renoise has the spectrum analyser, filter, eq, envlopes to recreate this technique perfectly https://youtu.be/P6WFKiJjUKs

I think an integrated wave generator in the sampler in addition to the drawing tool would be great, but then the tools are perfectly functional (although may not be kept up to date). Would be very interested to see more tools develop around your ideas

2 Likes

Speaking of sine shaper VSTs, here’s a free one:

1 Like