Creativity after burnout - possible?

Yea, i agree on this. It’s a slippery slope though!
If you feel like crap after each session it doesn’t really help.
But just getting started, opening your DAW, putting down a few notes, can be all that is needed to get started. Instead of just awaiting the inspiration so to speak..

I used to work like that. Setting up small goals for every day, but enough to get me going. Making it a part of my everyday life eased down on the expectations and letdown from the days it didn’t go so well, sooner or later it would result in something better.

These days i’m too tired and don’t have that time (or health) to stay with a plan like that, but if you can make it work - Great!

Maybe you could read this:

I never really read it completely, but from what I remember from the parts I skimmed through, it was some interesting “brain content”. Things I would agree with, things I wouldn’t agree with, but overall it tickled my brain and I might even have taken this idea of separating creative days from technical ones from this book

1 Like

This is it in a nutshell. If you wait for a particular feeling to create, you will get very little meaningful music made.

Habit > discipline > inspiration

Also, for all you old fogeys (myself included) just remember that many of the great composers of the past created their best and most enduring work in their mid sixties. Experience counts for a lot.

So yeah, unless life is knocking you about too roughly, open up Renoise (or whatever) and create a little something every day. The momentum builds on itself

3 Likes

For 16 years?

That’s what I do too, at least I’m trying to improve the mix if I’m uncreative. Or I’m doing something far from music. Run, lift weights, play games, watch a movie etc.

I know exactly what you’re talking about. But great music still can spark something special. And from my perspective it doesn’t matter if you’re doing “the same” stuff all over again. For outsiders a specific style always sound the same anyway, but who cares? I could do a specific style forever, even if it means similar instrumentation, similar build up, similar composition, similar beats, similar mix, similar everything. It’s not a task, it’s a feeling. But you’ll have to clear your head from all those thoughts about our declining civilization, which obviously isn’t that easy because we’re affected by this crap. Just try to get in your “special place”, which also can be somewhere in your past. For me it’s the 80s and early 90s. Lots of good memories…

Sounds kinda like “Weekly Beats”. No matter if you like the result or not, just move your ass and finish something. Might work for those who can inspire themselves. Everyone else probably needs to get inspired by other stuff. Good that it worked for you. :+1:

If it’s not you anymore, do something else. You wrote that you like Synthwave, what about that? That’s one of the most easiest styles to create because of its simplicity both in composition and mixing, furthermore it’s “80s stuff” that “burns bright in you”, and on top of that you could continue to pursue your obsession about kickdrums and synth basses. Just do what you love! :slightly_smiling_face:

Sometimes it’s good to have a little distance. I didn’t think that I would post anything in this forum or use Renoise again this year, but this thread made me do it. I still feel like being in a bad movie that doesn’t stop, but there are some good moments too.

2 Likes