Cross-fading between samples with volume commands

Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked already but i can’t find any answer to quickly do this.

Let’s say i have two near-identical samples playing at the same time, and i want to cross-fade between them over a certain number of rows, something like this:

| C-4 00 10 .000 | C-4 01 70 .000 | 
| --- -- 20 .000 | --- -- 60 .000 | 
| --- -- 30 .000 | --- -- 50 .000 | 
| --- -- 40 .000 | --- -- 40 .000 | 
| --- -- 50 .000 | --- -- 30 .000 | 
| --- -- 60 .000 | --- -- 20 .000 | 
| --- -- 70 .000 | --- -- 10 .000 | 
| --- -- 80 .000 | --- -- 00 .000 | 
| --- -- .. .000 | --- -- .. .000 | 
| --- -- .. .000 | --- -- .. .000 | 

This doesn’t work because values for the volume colum aren’t linear, like they are in other/older trackers. This results in a “dip” of perceived loudness around the middle of my crossfade. How can i quickly calculate/input the right values? This has been bugging me for a while!!!

1 Like

Maybe use an LFO to drive a gainer device, using a better curve to set the values.
Use fx commands to trigger the LFO and enable/disable it.

Ctrl i interpolates linearly between values
1 2

1 Like

Strange, I’m getting nearly the exact same waveform when rendering either a single sin wave or a cross-fade of two, the only difference being a very slight volume increase in the middle:

crossfade

crossfade-waveform

edit, addendum on what gentleclockdivider has mentioned with Ctrl+i, you can also interpolate the beginning and end values of the volume column using the advanced edit tab.

Once someone (Conner_Bw ?) on the forums made a script for me for a keyboard shortcut similarly to ctrl+i, but you don’t have to set a selection, just hit the shortcut somewhere in between two (volume)values and the range between them is automatically calculated and filled. Can’t find it on this desktop, perhaps on my old laptop.