Cross-Stereo Pingpong Delay

This is an example of very efficient and performance friendly delay-routing. The technique I chose is not the common PingPong technique, but… the result is a real(!) PingPong delay! Usually a PingPong delay is capable of mono signals only. This setup handles stereo signals even cross stereo.

• filtered delay (free routable)
  • Cross-Stereo PingPong L>R
  • Cross-Stereo PingPong R>L
  • Synced Feedback

What makes it so efficient? All feedback is done by the synced feedback delay only, while the PingPong devices only do initial oneshots.

Enjoy and have fun with it!

Download: Cross-Stereo real(!)PingPong Delay

-BA

Update: There was a bug in the origin file. I’ve replaced it with the right version. Sorry.

Very cool stuff :)

Thanks for this!

Awesome.

Honestly, I was suprised myself how phatt the stereo Ping-Pongs sound with a real stereo-stream. If you layer two different sounds and pan them one left, one right, routed to the Ping-Pong the cross-stereo makes them sound unbelievable phatt.

Btw. … you can still adjust the offset on both Ping-Pongs to phatten them even more up, without really affecting the feedback delay.

Now wouldn’t this be nice in a native delay? Clever stuff, I would never have thought of it.

Indeed, but…

Silly argument in my opinion. Resolution of Pattern Effects is limited so to set things exactly you need to use Automation anyway, where you can have a vast number of parameters. Also feel it’s about time Pattern Effects considered going Alpha Numeric in some way, to open up the possibility of more pattern commands which do get suggested every so often but there is no space to add them.

But we’ll just have to wait and see what happens…

(Edit - typo)

Should it maybe be made clear that the two Send tracks I have made Bold above are not being used at all in your xrns as standard and that the you choose which out of those two and Stereo PingPont R>L to Send the original audio track to for different effect. Shame the Filter can’t somehow be on the feedback so each delayed repeat is more filtered, rather than each being filtered the same, but still quite a nice idea.

Also, although you have switched it so left audio is being repeated on right channel and vice versa by having reversed Pan on the initial Delay unit you would get exactly the same effect without doing so assuming mono source (which the name of your instrument looks likely to be but I don’t have Sylenth1) as you are creating a single shot with double delay on one side compared to other then second delay unit to repeat both these at right rate. Not true Ping Pong as I know it as your stereo signal is not switching sides each repeat.

Still nice way to show the cascading Delays can get you doing basic multi-tap stuff quite easy. There was somebody a while ago asking how to do something that could of easily be achieved this method but I (nor anybody else) seemed to think of it so I recommended programming in an extra beat to fake it.

bitarts your stuff is amazing! thanks!!!

I guess I made up the point it’s about 4 delays and listed them. I just don’t want to waste too much time on sequencing even each example/variation of a setup. I still try to work on my own music in between. :D

Yeah, but the example it about ping-pong delays and efficient routing. Not about covering all hard to do delay setups. :D But to be honest, you’re talking of a delay which I’d also like to have. I just didn’t fiddle with it yet, because I believe I can see the work behind it from far. :D

Ping-pong delays usually don’t handle stereo-signals in anyway, except making them mono before. So there’s no “right” way to expect how a stereo ping-pong is supposed to sound like. You are right about the feedback delay not repeating independent ping-pong effects for each stereo-channel. But specially this is what makes it sound like it does, laying one channel with the feedback of the other channel. That’s why this setup is called cross-stereo. For the mono signal you are right. I already added the tip to the thread to try stereo-streams with it.

The sample contained with the example is just a very basic waveform of the Sylenth1 and not a sampled instrument. Contained as mono sample because it’s the same in stereo.

Nice one :)

now that would be sweet :dribble: