Csound, Cabbage and Renoise

In the hopes that this may be of interest, check out Cabbage, http://cabbageaudio.com/

“Cabbage is a framework for developing audio plugins that use Csound as their processing engine. All the power of Csound can be wrapped into a VST plugin that can then be loaded in a variety of different host software. Cabbage provides users with a fully integrated IDE that allows drag and drop editing of GUI interfaces, real-time compilation, Csound debugger. Cabbage also ships with over 100 ready made audio effects and synthesisers.”

If you’re unfamiliar with Csound, http://csound.github.io/ Csound has over 1900 opcodes that can be combined for audio generation and processing so the possibilities are almost limitless. The Csound reference manual is here: http://csound.github.io/docs/manual/index.html (Yes, it’s huge.)

The vsts that Cabbage produces are around 12M in size, and can’t be further compressed with upx: http://upx.sourceforge.net/ Depending on the amount of signal processing overhead, just as in any synth or effect vst, CPU usage varies. As with any experiments, some things work better than others and I’ve found there are quirks and tweaks as well. I’m concentrating more on effects than generation because I tend to work more with samples than real time. So far, I’ve encountered few problems …

So, if your curious, give Cabbage a try and see what you think. You only need the Cabbage download, no Csound install is necessary, it’s all “in the box”.

Cheers.

Disclaimer: I’m not affiliated with the folks who created Cabbage. I just think it’s cool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is great, some nice generators in the examples :slight_smile:

This is great, some nice generators in the examples :slight_smile:

There is some pretty cool stuff in there I’d agree.

Csound also has a Lua interface. https://csound.github.io/docs/manual/lua.html which uses LuaJIT, http://luajit.org/ . I’m thinking if we can create tools to access CDP, it might perhaps be feasible to access the Csound opcodes in some fashion. The potential opens up a whole new avenue to create Renoise instruments and tools. We’ll see … :slight_smile:

Cheers.

This looks like a real hard gamechanger for my plans. Thank you so much for pointing into this direction.

Also it seems very easy to expand the system with own code, even low level c routines from shared objects, which can augment with the whole big library of opcodes already there. Exactly what I was looking for all the time.

As for your interface ideas - yes, you can as well use lua (or other languages like python) to code your own “opcodes” (sound building blocks), as you can use it from the outside to load the whole csound library and engine, and then manipulate and execute programs from there. Csound is basically just a library. Cabbage wouldn’t be involved anymore from there, I think, maybe as a testing environment for the scripts you wish to run on your samples. But it is not really trivial, this would be one farily big tool if it was supposed to do more than running that csd script from disk. Was it that what you had in mind, sample mangling via csound like we can do via the CDP tool?

This looks like a real hard gamechanger for my plans. Thank you so much for pointing into this direction. Also it seems very easy to expand the system with own code, even low level c routines from shared objects, which can augment with the whole big library of opcodes already there. Exactly what I was looking for all the time.

You’re welcome and glad to hear it. I too think the potential is huge. :slight_smile:

Was it that what you had in mind, sample mangling via csound like we can do via the CDP tool?

I’d like to see “real time” mangling if it is possible as we’ve got static processing through CDP already. I’ve been experimenting with the Cabbage vst versions in real time fashion, using samples for the source and it seems to work a treat. My ideal would be to see Csound coupled with Viewbuilder controls and running in Renoise in real time with a native “look and feel” as we do with other tools or instruments. I really like the Viewbuilder motif. :slight_smile:

But, I’ll be the first to admit that my lua-fu is weak (I had to dig out my Programming in Lua book … ) and I haven’t had enough time learning the Renoise Lua implementation to be informed of what will and won’t work. :unsure: I hope the idea is realistic, but as they say, the devils in the details. I think a proof of concept would be useful too.

Right now my interest lies in how LuaJIT, which is used in both Renoise and Csound, will work in this case. I’ve no previous experience with it so I don’t know if there might be issues. However, I’m game to give it a go and would certainly welcome any information from those who have more experience with Lua in Renoise.

Cheers.

Not sure if I understood what your idea exactly is? You wish to kind of do what the the cabbage editors do (creating csound powered vst plugins with custom GUIs via a graphical interface), but as a renoise native tool? Other ways I couldn’t think of right now. Renoise only supports VST (and other similar) plugins for extending dsp, apart from the offline sample manipulation that tools like the CDP tool do. And VSTs won’t have access to the internal gui code - that you only have access from renoise lua tools, which then again can’t do realtime DSP like VSTs.

Idk how much sense this would make, I rather see potential in creating VSTs from cabbage externally, and then just using them in renoise. You must see that cabbage is just a moderately simple tool using the Csound api (and others) to simplify VST creation, and it also offers some juce based gui elements and a simple scripting and drag&drop tool to create them. But as far as I see (I could be wrong, though), cabbage isn’t a library or so, but a program (or rather - two programs, cabbage itself and the “host”), so you’d have to shred cabbage into parts (it is written in c++ I think), and then import those into a renoise lua tool. Would be kind of cool, but very impractical and redundant imho, and lots of lots of lots of work.

Maybe it would be possible to create a little “helper” in renoise/lua that will kind of organise your cabbage/csound plugins on per song basis, and automate compiling and loading the VSTs as well as keeping their sources around the song and launching the cabbage editors for creating/debuggin plugins. You could also try to develop juce gui widgets for cabbage that kind of try to look like the renoise native ones, and maybe transfer theme settings, so the resulting VSTs can be designed to kind of look more like the renoise gui. But this is just a fancy imho, and juce gui elements are coded in C++ and not lua I believe.

You wish to kind of do what the the cabbage editors do (creating csound powered vst plugins with custom GUIs via a graphical interface), but as a renoise native tool?

Yep, I thought it might be interesting to create tool and instrument interfaces to Csound as “native” Renoise.

[EDIT] After reading Neurogami’s post below, it looks like what I envisioned works already to some degree. I’m going to check out some of the other examples and see how well the parameters map to Viewbuilder widgets.

Cheers.

Poked around a bit to see what this was. Found it easy to take one of the example effect csd files and export it as VST (the pitch-shifting demo) and then use it in Renoise. Very cool.

I then tried to follow the docs to create an effect (the reverb example) but it didn’t work. No output. After some hacking about I was able to change the code to get it working in Renoise. (It was how the CsScore section defines instrument behavior, but I really couldn’t tell you what had to change and why, only that I copied stuff from the working Pitch Shifter demo code and played around some.)

The reverb example has three params, and these show up in the fx’s panel when added to a track. You can also pop up the external editor to see the Cabbage GUI for these params but you don’t have to do this to use it. 9I don’t know how well this works if you use other GUI widgets, but the Cabbage rslider widgets just appear in the default panel as sliders, though they appear as rotator things in the external GUI.

And the params can be automated. Very cool indeed.

(I mention this last part because I’ve a few 3rd-party VST and they don’t all expose their parameters quite so nicely; you have to use the external editor to set them.)

Yep watch out what the tutorials or examples are geared for. Csound is originally an antique egghead beast, and the score seemed initially to be there to actually compose music with it, and many examples feature some sort of melody or sound fx making via this. When doing cabbage vsts you have a different context and you will need to make your modules run all the time with the “i” score codes (most cabbage examples seem to do 606024*7 seconds, meaning if you run that vst for more than a week through it will stop working… :smashed:) - or understanding midi triggering of modules if you use instruments, and depend on the f0 code to let the setup be active.

this looks really cool, thanks for sharing!

I’m messing with this… found it a few days ago.
Seems to work well with renoise. Having some growing pains migrating csoundexamples to real-time vst’s, but nothing unmanageable.

If I want to programmaticallygenerate a score… its seems this isn’t the tool for it… and I best to learn the LUA interface of renoise?

you were rather looking for this: http://www.renoise.com/tools/xstream ?

Yesterday I installed CSound on my Win10 laptop. Today I went to open a Renoise song and all of my tools failed to load. The error message included references to the CSound install dir. WTF, I thought.

CSound adds some env var, including two related to lua. LUA_PATH and LIA_CPATH. I’m guessing Renoise (or it’s bundled lua interpreter) looks at one or both of these.

I deleted those vars and after that my tools loaded fine. I think the trouble was related to my tools including a file called Utilities.lua though I don’t know why that naming would break stuff.

Yesterday I installed CSound on my Win10 laptop. Today I went to open a Renoise song and all of my tools failed to load. The error message included references to the CSound install dir. WTF, I thought.

CSound adds some env var, including two related to lua. LUA_PATH and LIA_CPATH. I’m guessing Renoise (or it’s bundled lua interpreter) looks at one or both of these.

I deleted those vars and after that my tools loaded fine. I think the trouble was related to my tools including a file called Utilities.lua though I don’t know why that naming would break stuff.

Hey thanks for mentioning that. I just had the same problem and didn’t even think about csound being the problem. Saved me some time.

csound installation was a bit weird anyway. Also I can’t start csoundqt because of missing dlls and stuff, although I think I have everything required installed. Gonna give cabbage a try.

Hi everybody !

About Csound and Renoise, i was wondering. I’ve been using Csound for a few months, and i know renoise since a couple of years.

I’m really interessed about both.

I would like to do something to write some Csound score using the wonderful tracker interface of renoise.

But i think i would need to create some scripting tools for this. The different things i would need are :

-Build a kind of “different track” with a note note editor like the tracker one in Renoise - but replacing the habitual values “C-3 01 Vol Pan Dly FX”, with the variables corresponding to the “p-values” of the Csound Score.

-This particular track would need to send data to a Csound score

-Then get the audio from Csound into the track

Maybe, using Cabbage, it could be reduced to simply create the track, and use the cabbage Vst as an instrument.

But, creating a track with new variables seems necessary, because there are some instruments in Csound playing with 5, 7, 10, or more variables “p”.

Exemple of the Csound score:

i (inst num)-1 (startdate)-0 (duration)-5 p4 p5 p6

Of course, start date and duration could be defined with the Renoise timing system (with line and note delay). But in Csound, p4, p5, p6 are assignable to anything ; i mean, p4 could be the pitch defined between 0 127, but also the distortion rate between 0 and 1.

Do you think it would be possible, using the scripting tools of renoise, to create such an adaptative track, with any number of variables (of any type and range) per note column ?

Thanking you in advance

Stakov

1 Like

It’s a bit hit and miss when exporting as a vst

Some instrument work , other don’t …gui always shows up

Haven’t been able to succesfully export a cabbage effect as a vst .

p.s.exported dll’s all reside in a seperate folder

Am I the only one here having issues ?

1 Like

I am looking to resurrect development and ideas around integration of Csound in Renoise. Did any of your earlier experiments during 2016 to '17 lead to a drafted tool or a working demo that can be polished to a full fledged tool? My interest would be something like CsoundVST by Michael Gogins (I just sent him an email today), which he had to take down during 2018 due to licensing issues. It is like running Csound inside Renoise as a regular VST where you can load the .csd Csound files inside the VST IDE and then trigger it just like any other instrument or effect. That means all the sequencing can be done via Renoise for the most part and all the Csound specific stuff can be handled directly in the VST IDE. To make this abstraction using a Lua tool would be a good step forward if the VST binary with embedded Csound is not going to be available anymore.

The other feature we would have to build around Renoise is the decision to either use the Lua tool or VST with its own independent IDE or to develop a Renoise tool to utilise the score feature beyond realtime midi playability or sequencing instruments via default Renoise midi I/O.

Lua is not my main language either, but I think its going to be a good learning experience for all of us regardless (I still hate Python and prefer Lua anyday even with my current minimal usage of it). Can we roll in a constructive project plan internally?

1. Sponsorship and funding (I can give 100$ immediately and further on project plan completion) .
  2. Sourcing the best Lua talent we have in this forum
  3. Inputs and a final requirements document for a prospective tool/VST from existing Csound users and potential future users as well.
  4. Development schedule and a project manager or small lead team
  5. Deadlines, milestones and SDLC templates to keep track of everything.
  6. Final delivery and we can get to make a LOT of music with our latest addition.

This can be great precedence of the power of the forum and be illustrative of the collective productivity in this forum.

2 Likes

According to Michael, he strongly suggests using Cabbage to build a custom VST for all our needs. I think that would be the way to go. Unfortunately, Cabbage is not compiling easily on Arch based arm architecture systems such as Raspberry Pi, which I happen to use a lot. I think we should have both options, a VST and a Lua tool that uses Csound to make it platform agnostic.

1 Like

So, apparently Michael Gogins is experimenting with a widget feature request that is pretty much in the line of what I was inquiring him with earlier recently. Its not as simple or easy as it looks, the good thing is that he is taking a look first before we go in the rabbit hole ourselves. :slight_smile:

Rory, the lead developer of Cabbage however mentions going the more generic route of using an IDE such as VSCode along with autosave (Emacs does all this better, for other platforms too) . Considering both their points, if Raspberry Pi for Renoise is to be included, I think the Lua tool is the best way to go forward with the Csound API, since vst will not work in RPi without some serious plumbing (box64?), whereas both Csound (bash, Emacs, VSCode, Csound API, Lua bindings, REPL etc) and Renoise work perfectly in Raspberry Pi.

How to plumb midi from Renoise to a Lua tool is going to be my first question obviously. Secondly, a shell executive function to instantiate csound with respective arguments for realtime midi is already a provision inside csound (±rtmidi). That means for the most part all we need is a custom Lua based editor with csound syntax map or just a regular $EDITOR call to external environment editor in Linux and pass the file name to csound for midi input. All we need to focus is on the midi input plumbing from Renoise to Lua Csound tool.

For offline processing I think I am going to hack into the CDP tool and see how to port it for Csound as well for offline processing of selected samples and such.

For a Csound score editor inside of Renoise, that will be a more involved activity which sounds practical once done but is actually going to be a more involved operation than just sending realtime midi from Renoise’s own tracks as a regular instrument. The scoring can be handled as a final segment of the Lua tool once real time midi is done. For now if Renoise tracks can trigger Csound instruments you get a realtime instrument instantly, and since Renoise itself can be used to record midi it can be used to sequence user input with superior granularity for things like humanized feel and hip hop swing beats and such. Csound score can then be handled inside the IDE “[CScore] [/CScore]” (angular brackets do not show here for some reason) section in the text file. Since score format can have many parameters, a per pattern and per track score buffer will have to be managed. Anyways, so I was browsing Joule’s post on ChatGPT and was thinking to fasttrack plugin dev using AI. Below are some iterations. I am yet to reach home today and test these out but if it works then half of our job is done. :slight_smile:

ChatGPT 3.5

You

Using Renoise Lua API write a plugin that can interface with Csound and plumb midi data from Renoise to Csound.

ChatGPT

ChatGPT

Writing a complete Renoise Lua plugin interfacing with Csound involves complex code and specific knowledge of both Renoise and Csound APIs. Here’s a simplified example to get you started:

luaCopy code

-- Sample Renoise Lua Plugin interfacing with Csound

-- Load Csound library
csound = renoise.Midi.create("Csound")

-- Function to send MIDI data to Csound
function sendMidiToCsound(midiMessage)
    csound:send_midi(midiMessage)
end

-- Function to process MIDI data from Renoise
function processMidi()
    -- Retrieve MIDI data from Renoise
    local midiData = renoise.Midi.create()

-- Process midiData as needed

-- Send processed MIDI data to Csound
    sendMidiToCsound(midiData)
end

-- Main function called by Renoise
function on_automation_value_changed(automation)
    -- Add your automation handling code here
end

-- Register the plugin with Renoise
renoise.tool():add_midi_mapping{
    name = "MidiToCsound",
    invoke = processMidi
}

This is a basic example and might need adjustments based on your specific requirements. Ensure you have the Csound API properly configured, and refer to the Renoise and Csound API documentation for more detailed information.

Note: Writing plugins for digital audio workstations like Renoise requires in-depth knowledge of both the Lua scripting language and the specific APIs provided by the software. Consider consulting the Renoise and Csound documentation, as well as seeking support from their respective communities for more advanced implementations.

You

Write a csound instrument to enable parallel compression on a ftgen audio sample as input.

ChatGPT

ChatGPT

Certainly! Below is a simple example of a Csound instrument implementing parallel compression on an audio sample:

csoundCopy code

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-odac
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

instr 1
  iamp = ampdb(p5) ; Convert dB to amplitude

; Read input audio file
  ainput diskin2 "your_audio_file.wav", 1

; Apply parallel compression
  aenv1 linsegr 0, 0.1, 1, p3 - 0.2, 1, 0.1, 0 ; Envelope for compressor 1
  aenv2 linsegr 0, 0.2, 1, p3 - 0.1, 1, 0.2, 0 ; Envelope for compressor 2

acomp1, acomp2 parallel 0.8, ainput ; Adjust the compression ratio

; Mix the compressed signals
  aoutput = (acomp1 * aenv1) + (acomp2 * aenv2)

; Output
  outs aoutput * iamp, aoutput * iamp
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>

; Play instrument 1 with parameters: start_time, duration, pitch, velocity, amplitude
i 1 0 5 60 100

</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

This example uses the diskin2 opcode to read an audio file, applies parallel compression using two compressors with different envelopes (aenv1 and aenv2), and then mixes the compressed signals. Adjust the parameters (e.g., compression ratio, attack, release) to suit your preferences.

Remember to replace “your_audio_file.wav” with the actual path to your audio sample. Feel free to experiment and customize the instrument to achieve the desired parallel compression effect.

You

Write a csound instrument to enable keyzone based sampler for different audio samples.

ChatGPT

ChatGPT

Certainly! Here’s an example of a Csound instrument that implements a keyzone-based sampler for different audio samples:

csoundCopy code

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-odac
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

instr 1
  iamp = ampdb(p5) ; Convert dB to amplitude

; Set up keyzones and corresponding audio files
  kzone1 init 48
  kzone2 init 64

; Define audio samples for different keyzones
  ainput1 diskin2 "sample1.wav", 1
  ainput2 diskin2 "sample2.wav", 1

; Keyzone-based sample selection
  aoutput1, aoutput2 keytrk ainput1, kzone1, 1, ainput2, kzone2, 1

; Mix the selected samples
  aoutput = aoutput1 + aoutput2

; Output
  outs aoutput * iamp, aoutput * iamp
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>

; Play instrument 1 with parameters: start_time, duration, pitch, velocity, amplitude
i 1 0 5 60 100

</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

In this example, we use the keytrk opcode to select different audio samples based on keyzones. Adjust the keyzones (kzone1 and kzone2) and corresponding audio file paths ("sample1.wav" and "sample2.wav") to match your specific requirements.

Replace the file paths with the actual paths to your audio samples, and customize the keyzones and parameters as needed. This example assumes two keyzones, but you can extend the approach for more zones if necessary.

You

Write a Cabbage vst plugin that uses Csound with a csound. csd file input feature for realtime usage as an internal textual IDE.

ChatGPT

ChatGPT

Creating a Cabbage VST plugin with Csound integration and a CSD file input feature involves a combination of Cabbage and Csound code. Below is a basic example that uses an embedded Csound engine and allows loading a CSD file in real-time:

csoundCopy code

<Cabbage>
form caption("Cabbage VST with Csound IDE") size(400, 300), colour(58, 110, 182), pluginid("def1")

groupbox bounds(8, 8, 384, 160) text("Csound IDE")
rslider bounds(16, 24, 352, 16), channel("volume"), range(0, 1, 0.5, 1, 0.01), text("Volume")

filebutton bounds(16, 56, 120, 20) channel("csdFile"), text("Load CSD")
button bounds(152, 56, 120, 20) channel("compileCsd"), text("Compile CSD")
texteditor bounds(16, 88, 352, 64), channel("csdCode") text("")
</Cabbage>

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-n -d -+rtmidi=NULL -M0 -m0d
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>

sr = 44100
ksmps = 32
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

giSine ftgen 0, 0, 2^10, 10, 1

instr 1
  kamp chnget "volume"
  aout vco2 kamp, 440
  outs aout, aout
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
i 1 0 3600
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

This example includes a simple Cabbage GUI with a volume control, a file button to load a CSD file, a button to compile the loaded CSD file, and a text editor for editing the CSD code.

Please note that this is a basic template, and you may need to customize it further based on your specific requirements. Ensure that you have Cabbage and Csound properly installed on your system.

Save this code in a .csd file and load it into Cabbage. You can then use the GUI to load and compile CSD files in real-time, controlling the volume of the synthesized sound.

You

Write a Lua Renoise tool to display track data midi notes in sequence from current pattern.

ChatGPT

ChatGPT

Creating a Lua script for a Renoise tool to display MIDI note data in sequence from the current pattern involves using the Renoise API to access and display the notes. Below is a simple example script to get you started:

luaCopy code

-- Lua Renoise Tool to display MIDI notes in sequence from the current pattern

-- Function to display MIDI notes in the console
function displayMidiNotes()
    -- Get the current song
    local song = renoise.song()

-- Get the current pattern
    local pattern = song.selected_pattern

-- Iterate through the tracks in the pattern
    for _, track in ipairs(song.patterns[pattern].tracks) do
        -- Check if the track has note columns
        if #track.note_columns > 0 then
            -- Print track name
            print("Track: " .. track.name)

-- Iterate through the note columns in the track
            for _, note_column in ipairs(track.note_columns) do
                -- Check if there is a note in the column
                if note_column.note_value ~= 0 then
                    -- Print note information
                    print("  Note: " .. note_column.note_string .. "  Velocity: " .. note_column.velocity_string .. "  Delay: " .. note_column.delay_string)
                end
            end
        end
    end
end

-- Main function triggered when the tool is activated
function showMidiNotes()
    -- Display MIDI notes in the console
    displayMidiNotes()
end

-- Add a menu entry for the tool
renoise.tool():add_menu_entry {
    name = "Main Menu:Tools:Show MIDI Notes",
    invoke = showMidiNotes
}

To use this script:

1. Open the Scripting Editor in Renoise (Tools -> Scripting Editor).
  2. Create a new script and paste the provided code.
  3. Save the script in the Renoise Scripts folder.
  4. Run the script by going to Tools -> Show MIDI Notes in the main menu.

This script iterates through the tracks and note columns of the selected pattern, printing MIDI note information to the console. Adjustments and enhancements can be made based on your specific needs.

You

Write a Renoise Lua tool to send midi data to a loaded instrument inside Renoise.

ChatGPT

ChatGPT

Certainly! To send MIDI data to a loaded instrument in Renoise using a Lua tool, you can use the following example script. This script assumes that you want to send a specific MIDI note to the currently selected instrument on the currently selected track:

luaCopy code

-- Lua Renoise Tool to send MIDI data to a loaded instrument

-- Function to send MIDI note
function sendMidiNote(note, velocity, channel)

-- Check if there is a selected instrument and track
    if song.selected_instrument_index > 0 and song.selected_track_index > 0 then
        local instrument = song:instrument(song.selected_instrument_index)
        local track = song:track(song.selected_track_index)

-- Create a new note in the pattern editor
        local new_note = renoise.PatternLine()
        new_note:note(instrument.selected_note_column, note)
        new_note:effect_column(1):command("01") -- Set velocity with 01xx command
        new_note:effect_column(1):number_value(velocity)
        new_note:effect_column(2):command("08") -- Note cut with 08xx command
        new_note:effect_column(2):number_value(64) -- Cut after 64 ticks (adjust as needed)

-- Insert the new note in the pattern at the current position
        song.patterns[song.selected_pattern_index]:line(song.selected_line_index):copy_from(new_note)

-- Advance the sequence cursor
        song.selected_line_index = song.selected_line_index + 1

-- Update the GUI
        renoise.app():show_status("Sent MIDI Note: " .. note .. " to Instrument: " .. instrument.name)
    else
        renoise.app():show_warning("No instrument or track selected.")
    end
end

function sendMidiNoteFromTool()
    -- MIDI note parameters (Adjust as needed)
    local note = 60  -- MIDI note value (e.g., C4)
    local velocity = 100 -- MIDI note velocity (0-127)
    local channel = 0 -- MIDI channel (0-15)

-- Send MIDI note
    sendMidiNote(note, velocity, channel)
end

-- Add a menu entry for the tool
    name = "Main Menu:Tools:Send MIDI Note",
    invoke = sendMidiNoteFromTool
}

To use this script:

4. Run the script by going to Tools -> Send MIDI Note in the main menu.

This script sends a MIDI note to the currently selected instrument and track in the pattern editor. Adjust the note, velocity, and channel parameters in the sendMidiNoteFromTool function based on your requirements.

You

Write a Renoise Lua tool to send realtime midi input from an external source to a loaded instrument inside Renoise.

ChatGPT

ChatGPT

Sending real-time MIDI input from an external source to a loaded instrument in Renoise involves handling MIDI input events and triggering notes accordingly. Below is a simplified example of a Renoise Lua tool to achieve this:

luaCopy code

-- Renoise Lua Tool to send real-time MIDI input to a loaded instrument

-- Function to handle MIDI input
function handleMidiInput(message)

-- Check if there is a selected instrument and track
    if song.selected_instrument_index > 0 and song.selected_track_index > 0 then
        local instrument = song:instrument(song.selected_instrument_index)
        local track = song:track(song.selected_track_index)

-- Check if the MIDI message is a Note On event
        if message[1] == 0x90 then
            local note = message[2]
            local velocity = message[3]

-- Trigger the note in the pattern editor
            track:insert_note(instrument, song.selected_line_index, note, velocity)

-- Update the GUI
            renoise.app():show_status("Received MIDI Note: " .. note .. " to Instrument: " .. instrument.name)
        end
    else
        renoise.app():show_warning("No instrument or track selected.")
    end
end

-- Function to handle MIDI message
function onMidiMessage(message)
    handleMidiInput(message)
end

function startMidiInput()
    -- Start listening for MIDI input
    renoise.Midi.create_input_device("Your MIDI Device Name"):start()

-- Register the MIDI callback
        name = "Global:MIDI Input Monitor",
        invoke = function(message)
            onMidiMessage(message)
        end
    }

renoise.app():show_status("MIDI Input Started")
end

-- Main function triggered when the tool is deactivated
function stopMidiInput()
    -- Stop listening for MIDI input
    renoise.Midi.create_input_device("Your MIDI Device Name"):stop()

renoise.app():show_status("MIDI Input Stopped")
end

-- Add menu entries for starting and stopping MIDI input
    name = "Main Menu:Tools:Start MIDI Input",
    invoke = startMidiInput
}

name = "Main Menu:Tools:Stop MIDI Input",
    invoke = stopMidiInput
}

To use this script:

4. Replace "Your MIDI Device Name" with the actual name of your MIDI input device.
  5. Run the script by going to Tools -> Start MIDI Input in the main menu.

This script listens for incoming MIDI Note On events and triggers notes in the pattern editor of the currently selected instrument and track. Adjust the MIDI device name and other parameters as needed.

You

Write a Renoise Lua tool to execute csound with parameters as csd fike name and realtime midi in order to use that instance inside Renoise as an instrument which takes realtime midi input.

ChatGPT

ChatGPT

Creating a Renoise Lua tool that executes Csound with parameters (such as a CSD file) and captures real-time MIDI input involves a few steps. Below is a basic example to get you started. Note that this is a simplified example and might need adjustments based on your specific setup.

luaCopy code

-- Renoise Lua Tool to execute Csound and use it as an instrument with real-time MIDI input

-- Function to start Csound with specified parameters
function startCsound(csdFileName)
    -- Replace this with the actual path to your Csound executable
    local csoundExecutable = "path/to/csound"

-- Replace this with the actual path to your CSD file
    local csdFilePath = "path/to/your/" .. csdFileName

-- Command to execute Csound with real-time MIDI input
    local command = csoundExecutable .. " -d -M0 -m0d -I null -L stdin -o dac -f -" .. csdFilePath

-- Start the Csound process
    os.execute(command)

renoise.app():show_status("Csound started with " .. csdFileName)
end

-- Function to stop Csound
function stopCsound()
    -- Replace this with the actual name of your Csound process (e.g., csound)
    local csoundProcessName = "csound"

-- Command to kill the Csound process
    local command = "pkill -f " .. csoundProcessName

-- Stop the Csound process
    os.execute(command)

renoise.app():show_status("Csound stopped")
end

-- Function to send MIDI input to the Csound process
function sendMidiToCsound(message)
    -- Replace this with the actual path to your MIDI file
    local midiFilePath = "path/to/your/midi/file.mid"

-- Command to send MIDI input to the Csound process
    local command = "midicsv - " .. midiFilePath .. " | csound -L stdin -o dac -d -M0 -m0d -I null -f -"

-- Send the MIDI message to Csound
    io.popen(command, "w"):write(table.concat(message, " "))
end

-- Function to handle MIDI message
function onMidiMessage(message)
    sendMidiToCsound(message)
end

function startCsoundInstrument()
    -- Replace "YourCSDFile.csd" with the actual name of your CSD file
    local csdFileName = "YourCSDFile.csd"

-- Start Csound with the specified CSD file
    startCsound(csdFileName)

-- Register the MIDI callback
        name = "Global:MIDI to Csound",
        invoke = function(message)
            onMidiMessage(message)
        end
    }

renoise.app():show_status("Csound Instrument Started")
end

-- Main function triggered when the tool is deactivated
function stopCsoundInstrument()
    -- Stop the Csound process
    stopCsound()

renoise.app():show_status("Csound Instrument Stopped")
end

-- Add menu entries for starting and stopping the Csound instrument
    name = "Main Menu:Tools:Start Csound Instrument",
    invoke = startCsoundInstrument
}

name = "Main Menu:Tools:Stop Csound Instrument",
    invoke = stopCsoundInstrument
}

To use this script:

4. Replace "path/to/csound" with the actual path to your Csound executable.
  5. Replace "path/to/your/CSDFile.csd" with the actual path and name of your CSD file.
  6. Adjust the MIDI file path and other parameters as needed.
  7. Run the script by going to Tools -> Start Csound Instrument in the main menu.

This script starts a Csound process with the specified CSD file and sends real-time MIDI input to it. Note that this example uses midicsv to convert the MIDI input to CSV format before sending it to Csound. Ensure that you have the necessary tools installed (csound and midicsv). Adjust the paths and parameters according to your setup.