Dc Offset

Hello everyone,

When i work with the samples in REnoise sample editor, most of the time i use the function ‘Adjust DC offset’, i thought it ‘corrects’ the samples amplitudes , and normalizes it, so it would be easier to work with the sample.

And the DPS effect ‘DC Offset’ helps in normalizing the ‘volume’ of the track when it starts to click (atleast thats what i understand).

Now i dont know if im using this function properly, i dont know if i should be using the ‘Adjust DC offset’ that often, so i would like to ask you all:

In what situations should the ‘Adjust DC offset’ function be used, and in what situations it should not be used ?

A sample normally consists of a wave oscillating around a centerline, that is the middle-line you see in every sample-editing program (or the renoise-sample editor). Just take a look at your bass-speaker, if you play a low bass the membrane (?) is wobbling around this centerline (also called zero-line, it’s really just like a graph in math with time on the x-axis and the amplitude from -1 to 1 on the y-axis)

Now some plugs/old synths/bad samples have this “centerline” shifted away from the zero line leading to alot of problems, the headroom is not fully used, your speaker is not oscillating around the zero-line (=idle state) which means it gets stressed physically etc.

The DC-Offset corrects this so the sample is oscillating around the zero-line again, normally done by a highpass-filter with very, very low cutoff (<10 hz). It does nothing to the amplitude and it does not normalise the sample, in fact you probably won’t need it very often (if at all).

http://tutorials.renoise.com/uploads/Renoi…et_tutorial.rns
Demonstrates one good use of DC offset.

hey,
thanks for the help.

My main concern was : Is it ok to use function ‘Adjust DC offset’ in sample editor often?

And as i understand , using it on samples actually makes them better.

i hope i got this right

pfke

i guess you should only have to use it once. a high pass filter works well too.

there are situations on which a DC filter can ruin your sample, most likely on simple, highly saturated synthetized sounds, such as a clipping sinewave.

other than that, I would suggest applying it always on samples before processing them

thanks for the help!