Dead Dog Renoise Competition Round 18

Owwch! Been there, just remember…

You’re more productive, creative without it, even if you feel less so!

I’m trying to get something going. I don’t really have a set-up yet and I’ve got lots of other stuff on, but it’s fun to give it shot. Really interesting sample pack! Thinking about each sample in terms of applying an original use of a meta-device is a nice challenge! :)

@mane: thanks for the support. i notice how the weekends are hardest, as they are the moments when i used to smoke. my mind has coupled ‘free time’ with ‘smoke weed’, and that is the whole issue here. now that the weekend is over i’m still free (holiday) but not craving for it as i was. finished my track for the 3hr Renoise compo tonight, sober, and feeling pretty okay about it (both the track and sobriety). i will be in Italy as of Thursday so that will be much easier.

Barely smoke these days, can’t be fucked with the price for little bags off street rats and not had a good contact for quantities of nice weed at a reasonable price for ages. If I did would probably still be smoking every day though… But at least I never started smoking evil ciggies!

My use of Key-Tracker is pretty shit. Overall not liking what I’ve got so far but was less than two hours at the end of a stressful day at work yesterday… Think only Meta I haven’t used so far is X-Y Pad (still never used it) and haven’t put one in every track yet…

Fingers crossed at the end of this round I will of run 18 competitions and entered 2 of them though ;)

@kazakore: i guess that’s the ‘advantage’ i have from living in the Netherlands - always good weed available, semi-legally.
i wouldn’t be able to smoke every day though, i wouldn’t get up in time for work each morning. also, i have smoked for 2 years daily, and found that the fun of it gets less and less with every passing day. for me the disadvantages (paranoia, routine, slowness in social situations, nihilist hangovers) started to greatly outweigh the benefits (more focus, (perceived) creativity boosts, wacky thoughts, feeling relaxed). that, and the laughter-kicks start to subside after a couple months of regular smoking as well.
i’m a pretty pro-drugs person, but things should never become routine and should never come to a point where there are no more benefits. over time i’ve become a fan of the once-hated phrase that ‘life is the biggest trip’…

on to the music: yeah i had loads of trouble both using some of the meta-devices and having one on each track. my workflow is such that i easily create 3 new tracks for doing some fx stuff, but now i had to keep in mind that for each new track i had to use a meta-device. that stopped me from adding too much new tracks :)

the XY-pad is, imo, good for automating through a couple of LFO’s. just map X and Y to some cool parameters of a filter or ringmod or lofimat or whatever, and hook up an LFO to each parameter so that the little dot is flying over the XY-field doing awesome stuff.
the Keytracker is really useful as a second Signal Follower, but where you want to just have each note give you the same value, so for example each note resets an LFO at the start. you do this by having both sliders on the Keytracker all the way to the left.

anyway, good luck with it, would be nice to hear a song from you for a change :)

I’ve done that with the Velocity Tracker and know that trick. Tried to be slightly more creative with the Key Tracker and have it adjusting parameters of the Phaser on a fairly heavily effected sound so each note played gets different emphasis ;)

XY Pad I was going to try and use for some right-click live recording, rather than automate with LFO or by hand, as otherwise you are just using it as a two output Hydra (although it looks cooler.)

yeah, just because it looks cooler is the whole point of me doing it that way i guess… i’m a sucker for making stuff that looks cool :)

@DDRC: Argh, my GF’s mother (my pseudo-mother-in-law, so to speak) is visiting us, and I also do DDRColla – so no time for DDRC, but last weekend I experimented a bit with the key follower, which was the meta-device I never used before. I like the XYPad. Ok, trivially using it with filter freq & reso, but I still like those classic sweeps now and then…

@drugs: Hadn’t been into it that much. Occasionally some space brownies (I will always remember that two days in Amsterdam Vondelen Park…), some Fliegenpilze, etc., but not much more. No E or acid. Last time I remember smoking weed was at a Ministry concert many years ago. This was really enlightening for me: There was this aggressive music, Psalm 69, N.W.O. etc., damn good show, crowd going berzerk, but I just couldn’t enjoy the concert, because I felt so floating away from it, so very peaceful. It really made me think I’m not myself like this.

Unfortunately I went for the evil cigs age 30 - when you might think you’re mature enough to stay away from that, at least if you managed to do so all the time before! Oh well, 2 packs a day, then 2 packs tobacco, but I quit 2003, I’m pretty sure I won’t do that again.

But I have to admit I drink too much beers sometimes.

Three tracks to add Metas to (probably boring LFOs) and I think I will call it done. Don’t think I like it much though. First time to order some Indian for dinner :)

well i submitted my track and am off to Italy until August 9th (my birthday!), so sadly i won’t be able to vote. see you guys later!

Have fun dude!

Damn, totally forgot about this one… :(
I’ll try to come up with something tomorrow (it’ll be a quicky if I manage to start)

Tracking over and files uploaded.

Download pack can be found here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?hn1630disyyi18d

And Soundcloud set is here:
http://soundcloud.com/dead-dog-disko/sets/ddrc18

Kewl!

Seems to be almost harder to get votes than entries these days…

oh damn, almost forgot to vote, even though I listened to the entries right away when you uploaded them.

Winner is no.3 by Rhowaldt. Congratulations mate! Typically it’s happened while you’re on holiday innit…

On that note I actually had a feeling that he may win this round so I sent him a PM in case he does at least pop onto the 'net at some point on holiday. As he doesn’t seem to be around to set rules for next one I said I’d put up a poll with a couple of ideas and let you vote for the next round. If he replies before it starts on Thursday it will overrule whatever the outcome.

The three choices are:

1. Standard rules, sample pack, just like the very first round was.
  2. Only effects from the Depreciated folder of the DSP Chains allowed and all must be used at least once. Meta and Send devices still allowed. (May be hard to get good mix with no EQ or Compressor.)
  3. Tempo of the range 32-63BPM, LPB 2 or 3 (or might restrict to 1.) No loops and double drums & percussion samples in the sample pack. (Forcing use of things like retrigger and delay.)

Congrats Rhowaldt, well deserved mate! :guitar:

Woohooo! Congrats rhowaldt!

What is “Depreciated folder of the DSP Chains”? :huh: