Dead Dog Renoise Competition Round 19

Sorry to cut and run but here are the links to entrants. I should be back from festivalling bu Tuesday and hope you all had fun with this round. Good turnout Seems to point that way :)

Unfortunately I will not have a chance to do a Soundcloud set for this one but grab the vote pack below:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1r2qcaru9k0ul80

Deadline for entries is 12noon UK time Thursday 11th August

Rules:
Tempo: 32-63 with a LPB=1 only.
Genre: Any
Time Signature: Any
Compulsory Sample: None
Additional Rules: Sample pack modified to have double normal amount of drum samples but no loops included. Provided samples only. Renoise only. All features, functions, DSPs etc of Renoise allowed except Line-In. This includes rendering selection and similar.
Submissions: Please submit links for download to me via PM so we can keep voting closed. .XRNS file must be submitted! Preferably alongside an audio file (mp3 320kbs preferred.)

Get your sample pack here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wh4dgmss4uo96w7

Hope you all enjoy the challenge. Remember combinations of Dx, Ex and Delay column are likely to be your friends in this one. You can use a Ticks Per Line of your choice, so would suggest either 16 for highest resolution or 12 if you like triplets (remember you can also change TPL with F2xx temporarily if you so desire.)

Very interesting tempo limits! I like. :)

I do think allowing render selection will make it too easy to get around the tempo limits, though. Would be much more interesting if you forced people to do everything truly in-pattern.

True and I do hope people wont use it like that too much. That kind of rule is mostly on there for people who may be composing on a netbook or something and thus find themselves running out of power without the option. I usually try to say, when xrns is compulsory, that if you render sections then original pattern also needs to be kept in the submitted song (although I have forgotten to explicitly say so last couple of rounds) so it can be checked that the rendering was done within the constraints too.

But we also work partly on a honour system, as I don’t go through entries with that fine a toothed comb, and trust people know the only person they will really be cheating is themselves!

PS. Does that mean we might see an entry from yourself? ;)

If dblue enter the competition we will need to work reaaaallly harder to beat his ass ;)
But that’s probably a good thing!
I really enjoy hardcore restriction competition!

my tip: preferences/Gui/Font size : HUGE

I never thought that playing with the tick per line with low LPB could do such cool things on effects with moving parameters.

Hmmm, my effect column code sheet i have had laying around for many years says f2xx = Set trackrouting to channel xx
Guess it’s time for me to update it. :P
I’m completely new to this tick per line thingy. I remeber you mentioned it once kazakore, but i forgot to try it out. This could prove to be very useful. :)

From

http://tutorials.renoise.com/wiki/Pattern_Effect_Commands

TPL is less important these days, as we have the Effects column and automation is processed at a greater resolution than ticks now, but it can still make a big difference in the sound of Pattern Effect Commands.

My code sheet doesn’t even have a f3xx in it. I wonder why they changed that, wouldn’t that mess up old songs?

Is the draw function allowed ?, more for making instruments, rather than for editing.

Lua Tools I’m guessing are allowed ?

@00.1: I think it’s ok for lua tools, in fact I didn’t even ask myself if they were allowed or not but I used them in a lot of ddrc ( for sample modification mostly ). Draw function is another problem, if you want single cycle sample, quick view at the pack let me see it’s doesn’t seems hard to exctract a sine a tri and a square ( select 2 samples of a sample, dc offset, normalize, timestretch ) but the problem is there is no differences between an extracted squarewave and a drawn one, so I think it’s considered allowed for single cycle.

Submitted my track yesterday, that’s probably the ddrc submission I’m the most proud of. Prepare!

1 lpb …
retrigger …
?
this one’s going to be unsain
ha ha ha
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Drawing is technically allowed although we would rather the use of snipping existing samples to create a single cycle waveform, rather than drawing one from scratch. This is more work, giving you a sample of arbitrary length you are going to have to tune, rather than maybe going through a process you are well versed in. So a little grey area although not technically disallowed.

(Not sure if people think I maybe should disallow Draw as well as Line In unless specifically permitted for a round???)

I think the rules are fine as it is, if kurtz and 00.1 wants to use their awesome vocal skills it would be a shame if it wasn’t allowed.
And the pen could be used to prevent a click in your sample or something, i wouldn’t think of that as a serious crime. :P

Think i’ll make a couple more tweaks and submit my track as it is, not all to great, but considering the rules it’s ok i guess. :)

hey, i’m back in the Netherlands but won’t be able to join this one, for which i’m sad because it is a cool challenge indeed. also, kazakore, weird to see you finally getting a avatar… i was pretty used to your lack of an avatar. still, it is a awesomely good one.

Yeah thought I may as well use that. Should really get myself a proper one but too lazy. Think I used to have my bent Jag XJS avatar ages ago, before the board got hacked and reset…

Not had a chance to start anything myself yet. Fingers crossed I#ll get a little something done next could of days.

I’ve downloaded the samplepack and found 3 maybe 4 interesting samples/instruments in it, so okay, I think I’ll be able to participate. I plan to limit my number of normal tracks to 4 and my work time to 4 hours.

Let’s start…seeya…

heeeeee gneeeeh

(it’s going to be a bit longer than expected, and I’ll have to add a few more tracks ahem…)

… okay, I’ve finished but now I want to send the .xrns & .mp3 I’ve got a PM bug I don’t know why I can’t send any PM through Renoise Forum technology.

[s]Should I use the deaddogdisko at hotmail.co.uk mail then ? [I’m a moron I’ve disactivated the PM in my admin board ok it’s fixed now]

[/s]

Got you entry and good you didn’t use the deaddogdisko email address as I very rarely check it (although would be fine as long as you mention you have done so here.

Off to a festival tomorrow, currently unsure of of lift and what time I’ll be going, but please try not leave sending in until last minute as I may have to end up uploading shortly before official deadline. Will try and make sure lift goes early afternoon, rather than morning though ;)

I’m a little bit fucked, a little bit rushed, but at the top there should hopefully be a pack for this round. See you guys soon.

I have listened to the tracks several times, but it’s vey hard to decide which one to vote for…looks like i’m not the only one with that problem, only one vote so far. :P