Dead Dog Renoise Competition Round 23

Voting is over and I have to say it was a close round with a truly deserving winner!

Congratulations to Kurtz for such an awesome entry!

1. Kazakore
    2. Kurtz

Well tracking is over. Unfortunately the Formula Device proved to be a lot less stable than we had hoped. Anyway we have two entries in so get voting boys and girls!

Deadline for voting is 12noon Tuesday 18th October.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?sydglq4issw7qc6

Not heard back from TheBellows or KURTZ so hope you don’t mind me stepping in with a rule of my own and getting the round under way. ;)#

Deadline 12noon UK time thursday 13th October 2011

Rules:
Tempo: Any
Genre: Any
Time Signature: Any
Compulsory Sample: None. Compulsory Formula Device though.
Additional Rules: No Automation allowed. No control of DSPs via Pattern Effects. All standard Pattern Effects still Allowed. DSPs can still be controlled with any Meta Device (LFO, Signal Follower, Hydra etc.) Formula Device must me used! At least one of the Musical Variables must be used in an instance of the Formula Device (these include things such as position in patters/song etc.) Provided instruments/samples only. Renoise only.
Submissions: Please submit links for download to me via PM so we can keep voting closed. .XRNS file must be submitted! Preferably alongside an audio file (mp3 320kbs preferred.)

Formula Device code (Copy&paste):

[details=“Click to view contents”] ```

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

true

true

Init

true

true

A * sin(LINEF / NUMLINES * TWOPI * B) + C

function inv(x)

return (1.0 - x)

end

A

B

C

true

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

And get your sample pack below:  
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?nnv1be60bq5pvpu

the living dead pig returns…

Sorry that was me poorly editing the rules from last round :(

Edited now ;)

No real problem ^_^ I’m going to check what I can do with this hidden formula device, seems cool to use math functions for tweaking parameters…

Sorry i forgot about the rules this morning, good to see it up and running. :)

At this point i have no idea what a formula device is and does, but i’ll look into it. :huh:

the formula device looks sweet!

I’m new to formula magic device, but it seems to me to be great for doing synthesis no?

I have no idea how fast it operates, hence no idea how low-fi (sampling rate etc) it’d be, but see no reason you couldn’t try using it to generate a wave, similar to how you do with the other Tuned Devices trick…

I’m actually trying to see how some math formulas could control a ringmod freq for example

Don’t even really need a Ring Mod. Can get some audio with just this very simple chain. Quite limited range and it depends on your BPM and Tick settings.

[details=“Click to view contents”] ```

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

true

false

Init

false

true

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

true

true

true

Init

true

true

sin(5 *SAMPLES)

function inv(x)

return (1.0 - x)

end

A

B

C

true

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

Device only

true

false

Init

true

true

Device only

Device only

Although I’ve put the rule as “At least one of the Musical Variables must be used in an instance of the Formula Device” above my initial thinking was more along the lines of “The Formula Device has to play a prominent role” but how to enforce that or put in few words when I don’t have internet to sit across the discussion I thought quite hard.

Thought “A Formula Device active for the majority of the Song, whether the same one or a combination of devices” a possible solution. But in the end went for the above to try and inspire use if it as an effect that could slowly evolve over the duration of the song (was initially going to limit to only a few of the Musical Variables which do change throughout the Song) but again eased it off a little and hope that everybody will see the power of the device and use it to its full. In theory could be used in place of LFOs pretty much anywhere, except it’s maybe a little harder to Reset to get in-time peaks for the LFO…

Anyway, fingers crossed I’ll find time myself to do something this round ;)

I’ll do several experiments asap, controlling a dc offset should be enough, but from the first tries it seems to be too slow.

I’ve got to use a +500BPM & +128LPB to make it work directly like an oscillator.
So for now, I keep on trying to control a ringmod frequency with the formula device, where specific math. functions, are modulated through incoming ABC params.
For example, the A = keytracker input, the B = signal follower, and the C=velocity tracker, things like that.
Not that easy, but usefull especially when you want to create odd sound fx.

Depend on what frequencies you want to get. As I said my example above generates audio at a simple 180BPM 4LPB.

Although sure you can get some far more interesting results with this method!

I’ve discovered that the “user” tab had a f(x) = inv (x) function !
that’s a very cool thing, especially when I want to perform some sidechainings… :w00t:

I assume you’ve clicked the question mark (?) and seen the list of operators and variables available to the Formula page?

Can’t remember off-hand what language the User page is programmed in but it has been mentioned on these forums somewhere (think C, maybe LUA…)

Yes, I’ve clicked on the “?” small button.
Very interesting.
Considering the list of musical variables, it looks also easy to create BEAT controlled fx.
I think that the language is LUA, as mentionned by kraken here.
This device could also behave like a “if - then - else” thing.
The problem is that I even never took time to check the LUA scripting language.
For now I make lots of tests, but I got only one week for the competition.
I think it will give me the opportunity to activate my few existing neurons and maybe code some nifty procedures/funcs.

Thanks for hunting down the response I was alluding to. LUA it is then :)

Have thought about this but as of yet not made any tests…

Beat controlled? Well cyclic and timed to beats/line yeah but that’s just replacing the LFO really. Also can have it so it works more like a stepper, so rather than the smooth automation of the automation curves you get one change per line or similar.

Barely touched it myself as yet to be honest…

Well that was kinda the hope for this round :)

Still testing the formula thing.
There are some limitations of the LUA access in this user box.
For example, you can execute this line of code through the lua scripting terminal,

renoise.song().tracks[1].color = {0xff,0x00,0x00}  

And it works, it changes the color.
BUT if you insert the same line inside a formula dsp user function, it simply returns a runtime error
I suppose that the dev team has willfully limited the API access in this edit box.
Maybe a full featured formula box could make the GUI and the audio timeline slower…

Yeah, IIRC kraken/gore mentioned it is all running in the audio thread [which of course has top prio in an audio application], so you don’t want to do GUI stuff in there.

BTW, there’s (a) typo(s) in the “?” help text, e.g. a mod(x) doesn’t make sense, it has to be something like mod(x,y). Modulo needs two arguments, or it wouldn’t make any sense at all. Anyway, probably you would use the (binary) % operator rather than the mod function.

Anyway, I definitely like this hidden device, thanks kazakore for pointing it out. Probably I won’t have enough time to get an entry done, too busy with other things ATM, but experimenting with it is a lot of fun.