Dead Dog Renoise Competition Round 24

Ah, didn’t even get to start a track for this round. :o
Think i’m gonna grab the samples and try to work something out with them later though.

Another nice C64 based VSTi is one i found called “unknown 64 pro” by Odo Synths, but unfortunately i can’t find back to the dl location because every link seems broken.
I can up it for you if you want, it’s a free VSTi so i think it should be ok. It sounds very good and it would be a shame if it died out completely.

even if I think that 38911bytes is still a bit better than the other emulation solutions, unknown64 pro is not bad at all, it’s downloadable here. But it won’t be necessary, since üav has found his old but good MOS 6581 chipset :D and is ready to create a better samplepack for us.

Ahah! I’m in the next batch for sammichSID kit, in two week or so I’ll do that!

hey for less than 26€ the sammichSID looks like a cool and cheap DIY hardware solution… especially if you’ve kept your old SID … well it’s a rare chip, hard to find, and if you don’t have one, the price of the pack is raised to 144€…

I got two C128d laying around, those heavy bastards “portable” computers with built-in disk drive and a detachable keybord, but it seems my tv-card screws up the picture, gotta find a better card i guess. :D
I only use it as a c64 as it’s fully compatible and has a c128 mode and a c64 mode and the same sid. Tracking with John Player and drawing some bitart mainly, but haven’t been using it much the last years.
Each sid actually sounds a bit different from the other and they come in two quite different versions as far as i know.

I bought my two c64 at emaüs for 15€

Hey cool. This model was sold in france through a famous mail order firm. When I was young, I wanted to get it for christmas, but finally I’ve bought my old casio sk1 sampler instead because I’ve read that the pure gaming experience would not be that different between a c64 and a c128 - and at that time I was a kid, I wanted to play games a lot.

GO64   

I remember I had a problem one day with my RF modulator - I could not see the colors anymore one the screen and had to fix it. They say that the mos chipset was very heat sensitive but I’ve experienced more problems with the video card than with the sound chipset. I also remember that I had a datasette and no floppy disk drive, I loved to play datasettes modem-like noises on a regular hifi tape sound system.

Slooooow : but reliabe.

PRINT""+-0  
``` ![;)](https://files.renoise.com/forum/emoticons/default/wink.gif)  

[quote="TheBellows, post:25, topic:33976"]  
I bought my two c64 at emaüs for 15€  
[/quote]  

the lucky bastard ![:panic:](https://files.renoise.com/forum/emoticons/default/smilie_schreck.gif)

emaüs?

It’s an organisation that helps the poor ones.

There are several local actions that can be planed to help the poor ones. For example, in France there is a scheme like that that works well : middle class people often have old things / objects / products that still work and instead of throwing away it they call the emmaüs that come to them and retire it.

The emmaüs resell it for very cheap prices, and by this way, the poor people buying cheap products can continue to live and get things that nobody wants anymore, for a little price. The idea is that poor people don’t have money enough for buying “new products” that are always too expensive, they just need things that work, they don’t give a f… if it’s old or new. They need a tv ? okay, they get an old but working tv for cheap prices. They need a microwave oven ? Okay they get an old but working microwave oven. They need a personal computer ? Okay they got a commodore 64. Get the picture ?

France is a country with lots of artists, but most of them are financially “blinking” in the night like stroboscopic neon lights, if you’re not lucky enough to be remarked by a major or a big one, you are generally living from small gigs for decades. Some artists are very good but the retribution system and copyright protection is too expensive, radio airplay is expensive, you can’t easily make it a living. This is the reason why local musicians are good at DIY solutions…

We have something similar here called Fretex, but it’s mostly second hand clothes and a couple of stores with some furniture, never seen a c64 or other vintage computer/console there.
I’m shit poor and very much into the concept of DIY too, i make lofi analogue electronics like noise machines, tone sequencers and such. To find parts i buy cheap from ebay and various flee markets. :)

The main idea was to give the money earned to associations who are helping the poor but seeing the increase of prices in several emmaüs I’m pretty sure some guys are making profit from it. Anyway nobody wants to buy C64 since they now have a computer recycling team, they sell fully functionnal computer for cheap.
It’s a great place to find cheap vinyls to (0.5€ to 1€ each, can be negociated if the vinyl is really fuckedup) and not only music vinyls! I found a few ones that contain sounds effect only!

We have Freecycle in the UK, which is totally FREEEEE! :D

do they have ol computer or things that bleep?

I think in France we are not civilised enough for totally free, I went to the opera Garnier christmas period last year people were stealing the ornaments :blink:

Whatever people want to give away. Everything from cutlery to pool tables, from tennis rackets to old servers. Obviously anything that is actually worth something is rare and all the good bits will be snapped up in seconds though… I’ve not even checked through my emails from them in months and not driving it makes it hard to pick anything up even if there is something you are interested it, especially as most will give it on a first come first served basis.

World: http://www.freecycle.org/group/?noautodetect=1

France: http://www.freecycle.org/group/FR/

No idea how active it is likely to be (and we are kinda going hugely off topic here!)

Cultural life before the “economical crisis” :

After the “economical crisis” :

At least, after the crisis : there’s a public.

Sounds just like Fretex, it’s a part of a christian helping organization called “Frelsesarmeen” wich is something like “salvation-army” in english. :P
Never found much useful stuff at their shops except clothes though, but i’ve been to a store where they had some crappy electronics, vhs tapes, some awful vinyls and all kinds of unuseful stuff.
I imagine the goodies are sold very quick though, so you can probably do i great find if you’re there at the right time.

What was the topic again?

Hmm i hope that is not the case with mine, the picture worked very well the last time i tried it on an old tv, but on my tv card it cuts off one third of the screen. :o
I only use one of them and has the other just for parts because the lock on the disk drive is broken and i only have one keyboard, but it worked last time i checked so worst case scenario i’ll have to take the video card from that one.
The tv card was bought on DX for 9 dollars though, so i hope that’s the problem. It worked very well with my vhs-camera though.

Does somebody want to cripple Kurtz or something, stop him winning all the time? ;)

Only kidding mate, great track, felt it would go down well in any Dubstep or “Bass Music” mix. Even though it’s not your usual style I think you pulled it off well and would of had my vote in a tie situation.

1. Kazakore
  2. Uav
    3. Kurtz

Bix thanx for the votes ! :drummer: (it’s going to get embarassing heeeeee)…

Thanx kazakore :). When I’ve decided to define a ‘c64 round’ I thought that someone like TheBellows would participate… thank god he could not join this time, he had the power to kick everybody’s ass properly. Well, I was psychologically ready for losing this round. Especially when I’ve first played your track, using the full range of available samples. Something I was unable to do, in the end. This track is exactly what I’ve expected when I initially imagined the rule. I really like the way you exploit and develop the initial song’s structure, cycling through all available instruments and including funny variations; it’s a firework of bleeps, very positive, a kind of immersion into an eye candy crazy 8 bit console platformer game.

After that, sincerely, I was also surprised and impressed by what üav did. I never thought that someone could be able to make that high quality sounding instruments, starting from the bunch of crappy SID sounds I’ve blindly added in the samplepack. I’ve replayed üav’s track 4 or 5 times. The work on reverbs and the aesthetic intention that drives üav’s music are beautiful. Of course the sidechain compression system linked to the kickdrum, should have been compensated or moderated a bit, so that it does not eat those magnificent harmonics in the reverbering pads, in the higher frequencies. With a few tweaks üav will probably work it out and add this one to the list of masterpieces he’s able to do.

And now concerning my own participation, I decided to degrade the SID sample quality even more, and make wilfully something rusty, harsh, distorted. Since I’ve lost a precious worktime in previous explorations I couldn’t multilayer different melodic lines - what I usually try to do. So I knew that my composition would be somehow poor and that I had to compensate it with something : extra sound presence (this is based on a parallel multiband compression system that preserves some interesting dynamics). The Dubstep style also helped me a lot for creating breaks, spaces, between elements of the rythmic structure, so that the sound isn’t too irritating in the end. I first tried to create a typical fat and low “waw waw” bassline, but I’ve found it too conventionnal, so I’ve built the opposite, a 3 OSC “eewee eewee” native synth thing that could be able to go very high, with lots of freedom. It finally worked, and of course I’m glad about it.

So congtrats to everybody for the energy, inspiration and quality works ! Get all prepared for a new funny crazy and unexpected DDRC !

Cheers mate. Yeah I kinda liked mine for the first minute or so, even though a little disjointed it seemed to work, but then I extended it quickly by copy and pasting different blocks and didn’t spend long then checking and adjusting to make fit so it does lose what little cohesion it had. As a general idea it is more what I expected to hear from the entries but you and Uav both went in entirely different direction. Good work all round, as you say :)